Akela, Addiction and Bragging…

I had not shot my .177 Akela in weeks…. was texting with a friend who also has one… motivated me to pick it up…

….but a storm was rolling in. Set up a 30 Yard Challenge card anyways… 3 shots to zero with new tin of 10.3g FX pellets…

… shot a 190 7X… no sighters - 24 straight shots from the tin using Akela magazines.

… in the rain, and the wind, in the dark… with a 14x Athlon Talos BTR FFP scope. Reticle too thick for tiny target so to “frame” the bullseye I use the space gap between the center “t” in reticle and when the crosshairs begin.

Shot the whole card in less then 10 minutes to get me and equipment out of the rain.

Think its easy? Try it - 30 Yard Challenge with an inexpensive, unregulated .177 (that you haven’t shot lately) and 14x scope in the rain, wind and in poor visibility…. in the mud, and the blood and the beer, lol.

2.57” hammer spring in the Akela of course…

I had fun after work today, lol. Love this hobby.

-Ed

IMG_2280.jpeg

IMG_2281.jpeg

IMG_2282.jpeg

Good shooting EPG!

I like your posts because you cover the higher cost and lower cost PCPs. Also, I enjoy shooting cards at my home range. I'd do the 30 yard challenge but I am a couple of yards short so I do 25 yards instead.

I took out my .177 BSA Ultra after remounting the bipod and shot the following card. Scored it with a .22 slug; 243/250, 14X.

20230519_130013~2.jpg

Reactions: keith1 and Scotty1
Good shooting EPG!

I like your posts because you cover the higher cost and lower cost PCPs. Also, I enjoy shooting cards at my home range. I'd do the 30 yard challenge but I am a couple of yards short so I do 25 yards instead.

I took out my .177 BSA Ultra after remounting the bipod and shot the following card. Scored it with a .22 slug; 243/250, 14X.
Nice shooting with that BSA and 14x !

Yep, I’ve got $2000+ and sub $200 PCPs (including 5 sub $500) - and I’ve got them all shooting 190+ in the 30 Yard Challenge.

The guns in the $500 range are excellent, just need some polishing up. I haven’t met a $2,000 gun that also didn’t need polishing up - maybe a little less elbow grease, but no competition shooter would use “out of the box rifles” - so ya gotta get into them.

I’ve actually shot 192 with the Akela in the 30 Yard Challenge with the 14x scope. I know that I could shoot 195+ with her if I throw a 6x24 scope on her.

But tonight was really badass (and maybe lucky) shooting because it was raining, the wind was blowing and visability was so bad that I couldn’t always see the bullseye, I was shooting some of the targets “by feel”.

Just trying to show folks that you don’t need a $1,500 rifle to shoot precision targets… and to stir up interest in the 30 Yard Challenge…. as the internet is full of “1” at 100 yards all day“ shooters…. lets see em hit a .02” bull at 30 yards … 20 straight times… with unsorted, unweighed pellets, lol. Thats what I try to do!

- Ed