Akela .177 Shot String

Thanks for this, I was getting ready to do the deed tonight and thought one more search...
I shortened my .177 Akela hammer spring to 2.57, and 1 1/2 turns on the spring tension.
I shot 100 shots of 10.3 brown box crosman pellets. My old chronograph only holds 100 shot strings.
Here’s the results off a 3000 psi fill
905 high
835 low
881 avg
70 es
16 sd
Had below 2k when I stopped, sorry I didn’t write it down.
When I finished I sighted the 1/5 scale chicken at 25 yards. Moved to 50 for the pig and 75 for the turkey. All were hit, No go on the ram at 100.
Swapped to 10 gn knockouts, had to move right and down at the 25. 1/2 mil up on the chicken at 25, crosshair center brought a ring from the pig at 50, half a mill got the turkey at 75 and a mill went over the ram at 100. Bracketing between the 1/2 and the mill brought a nice ring for three in a row on the ram at 100.
I’ll get it on paper, but for me and fun I’m there. I mostly shoot steel and like the ring. Now I can sit for 100 shots…if I’m inclined between fills.
Now for the this shouldn’t work part
I have a puff of air out of the power adjuster on every shot. I assume it’s got a o ring, I have not looked yet. Found it when I had the gun in sandbags and was holding it there.
I put two in a brand new bean can at 35 yards. First in was a larger hole, second in may have made it a tiny bit bigger, the out hole appears the same.
Ought to be a critter gun around the chickens if need be.

On to the can
A3593596-96D9-49D7-8F4F-BF060CE904E1.jpeg

nice looking results on the stock. Thanks for the information on your adjustments. I have the cayden and it shoots good, I'm happy with it. I've thought about the Akela but the cocking lever being so far back, and on the right side, (I'm a lefty) would be a challenge. I still like to see results from owners and what they are doing with them.

TODD
I get doubted often, but i get .5 MOA out to 91yds so far with my .177 akela using crossman premier hps. I love this little rifle and by far the least expensive of all of my airguns so far.

Agreed, I could fill to about 2600 and get a 20fps extreme spread.

However, at normal pellet gun distances of 25 to 50 yards, my experience target shooting has shown a minimal noticeable POI shift with even a 40fps spread. This is especially true with .177 (flat trajectory) being shot 870-910fps. The difference in POI due to a 40fps spread at 40 yards is likely less than the POI shift due to pellet to pellet variances if just shooting unsorted JSBs from the tin.

Thats why I think a lot of shooters should really test this and consider their use case before purchasing a pellet gun with dual regulators and 40+ o-rings (I’ve been there, done that). If you are typically shooting 50 yards and in, you don’t need a 3fps spread to achieve consistent accuracy. It’s crazy overkill IMO. I started with regulated PCPs and now own 3 unregulated PCPs. They all seem as accurate (Daystate Huntsman is crazy accurate) as my regulated guns.

Besides shortening the hammer spring, I also stripped my Akela to bare wood and refinished the stock with Tru-Oil.View attachment 207526View attachment 207536
Love the work you did excellent info on the akela. Shortening the spring would prob be better than my tape on the adjuster to keep it in the middle., i certainly likes to wiggle if not all in or all out. Lol

I get doubted often, but i get .5 MOA out to 91yds so far with my .177 akela using crossman premier hps. I love this little rifle and by far the least expensive of all of my airguns so far.
The craftsman line from Benjamin is good value for money, performs well, and has three offerings in style choices. With the performance you are getting from the Akela in .177 w / budget ammo , I would call that a positive shooting experience at the range, and on your wallet.

Since I'm always first in line for everything... I finally am getting around to opening the Akela up for the spring mod. I ordered 2 springs in May, and just set them aside. I opened them up this morning, and much to my dismay:

Akela original & new received spring.jpg

The original (pulled from the gun) is on top, the "replacement" is on the bottom (both new springs received are the same size). Ugh - time to order again. I don't know where the short springs may fit.

Since I'm always first in line for everything... I finally am getting around to opening the Akela up for the spring mod. I ordered 2 springs in May, and just set them aside. I opened them up this morning, and much to my dismay:

View attachment 407086

The original (pulled from the gun) is on top, the "replacement" is on the bottom (both new springs received are the same size). Ugh - time to order again. I don't know where the short springs may fit.

Hi,

If your Akela is .177…
Just cut your original 3.5” spring down to 2.75” - then bend the cut end flat, which should take down to about 2.6”. Put it back in the gun, you will be amazed at the shot string. (I’m currently using a 2.44” cut down spring in my .177 Akela with excellent results).

If your Akela is .22
Same as above except cut the spring down to 2.9 inches, bend cut end flat - should be 2.75 to 2.8” when finished. Put it back in the gun - it will now give you a great shot string.

Easy peasy way to improve these rifles shot strings by 200+ percent.

-Ed