• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Tuning Airtac Roelf video

There is an excellent video out on Airtac's youtube channel. 

https://youtu.be/MS_Wsn-sW8I

This is an excellent video with great info. I was pondering about this and something came up.
I am not a ballistician and I hope that someone with more knowledge can give a better perspective.
Lets say we want to push a pellet at 880fps out of a 600mm barrel.
Scenario one: We let a small amount of compressed air at high pressure out through the valve. This starts to push the pellet forward and accelerates the pellet. The volume behind the pellet expands as the pellet moves forward to a point where the air runs out of "spring" . The pellet then have to travel further under its own momentum. If the spring runs out of the air at, say 550mm, the pellet will then decelerate due to friction and even more if there is a choke in the barrel.
So in fact the pellet must be accellerated to much more than 880fps in the barrel in order to decellerate back to 880 when it leaves the barrel with very little air following it out.

Scenario two: Use a little more air at a little lower pressure to keep the pellet accelerating all the way to the muzzle and to reach the muzzle at 880fps before the spring in the air runs out. In fact, I think the spring should run out at about 602 mm.
I think the trick is to get the balance right and there is no real way one can measure this. It is only by trial and error one can reach this balance.
Any informative comments will be valued.

I watched the video too and found it quite interesting.

First of all, i think you have to have watched 2 more videos to fully understand this in context.
The first one is a video from Matt, explaining how pellets and slugs are stabilized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur6iIcVhHmM&ab_channel=AirArmsHuntingSA

The second one is a tuning guide to high power PCPs also from Matt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaeGVbasD7Q&ab_channel=AirArmsHuntingSA

The point is, that a pellet is self stabilizing because of its shape and its center of mass whilst a slug has to spin to get even any stability through the gyroscopic effect.

This is also the reason why its not that important with pellets. If your "air-springs" are still pushing even the pellet already left the barrel, it will then stabilize itself again because auf shape and center of mass. You are wasting air, but your shooting results will not change dramatically.

Its a whole other thing wit slugs. They are not self stabilizing so if you "blow" on them from behind when they left the muzzle you destabilize them, causing them to tumble and they wont stabilize themself again.

I saw these videos and tried it immediately on my Maverick compact, where it is super important to time that air-burst exactly because of the short 500mm barrel.

Once again - pellets will shoot well in both conditions, i am talking about slugs now. I hat terrible grouping at 140bar, shooting JSB KO 26gr slugs at 950fps.
Raising the reg Pressure to 160 and the hammerspring hitting a little harder, i still got 950fps but laser accurate - sub 10mm groups at 45 yards.

So my guessing is, that with 140bar, and the longer air burst, i was blowing on the back of the slug, causing a tumble, and the group is opening up drastically.
Raised Pressure, resulting in a shorter, "harder" burst of air, giving the same velocity but ain´t "pushing" on the back of the slug when it left the muzzle so it stays in its spin it got from the superior liner.

I´m still testing around a bit but i think it´s clear what to watch out for. With pellets its a matter of efficiency but with slugs things begin to really matter.

Boris