AIRSABER Arrow Rifle Experiments And Observations

This is a fun rifle: that is if you are prepared for its nature. It would be very interesting to hear from other members about their experience. We've heard complaints; some definitely justified, and others might just be early efforts and distaste with those initial outcomes.

I am attaching a photo of 5 shots with two matched (preliminary) arrows tipped with 150gr. SEVR Robusto mechanical broadheads with the blades screwed in the closed position. They were loaded with the white vane at 12 o'clock each time. All measurements are approximate: 28 yards, 3100 psi to 2500 psi, 1.2 inch windage and 3.2 inch elevation. Since I only had 2 broadheads, and alternated shooting them, that may have resulted in the left/right variance on target. I used twigs to mark the previous shots so as to make sure no arrow was damaged by being hit from the next arrow.

AirSaberSEVR.1621989935.jpg

Given that the gun is not regulated, it is no surprise that the shots descended as the pressure decreased. It should be noted that an artillery hold was employed, using an old Millett Benchmaster plastic rifle rest on an old flimsy table while sitting on a big rock. The 4X scope Umarex offers as a package seems decent for a budget optic.

A person would do well to get a Hamskea AroJac to pull arrows out of the target if it is foam (using a Rinehart Rhino Block here) and expect field points in a new target on a cold day shooting at full pressure to be seriously difficult to extract. Broadheads are (for the most part) easier to pull but pretty destructive on the foam. 

Onestringer is a company that will make reflective or neon tracers to be placed near the back end of the arrow, optionally numbered and including one's personal identification ( I asked for my initials). This allows matching arrows as best as possible, and seems like always loading with the vanes the same position helps. Would be curious to see what other AIRSABER owners are doing to maximize accuracy, given the limits of this fairly powerful hunting tool.

Appreciate that rangur1.

Kind of wondering if some members here bought one of these early on, thinking it was something different and capable of taking down large game, then had trouble pressurizing it (cock it first time then decock after pressured up) or the scope was fuzzy (adjust ocular ring) or busted or lost arrows (hitting wood or rocks will trash arrows) or hard time pulling arrow out of target (keep pressure low, don't use field points unless you have a bag target made for 450fps, invest in an AroJac) maybe received it with the tube not aligned (Umarex ships with a plug now to help prevent tube damage during transport. Or check that tube is screwed in completely) perhaps cocking it is too stiff (Place butt of rifle on hip to cock bolt) or too long trigger pull (it is a long pull and a long, bulky rifle that requires 'front stuffing')

As mentioned in the other thread called AIRSABER Disappoints, the picatinny rail is a little too thin for the mounts that came with the scope, and also looking to see if Umarex recalls (or my unit is an exception) because an arrow can be fired with the bolt completely open or closed but not locked.

I have sand bags filled with local arroyo sand and small rocks behind and around a foam broadhead target rated for powerful crossbows on a hillside. Initial tests were using just one arrow to see how long it would take to fail. It never has yet, even hitting the sandbags 5 times and after shooting over a hundred shots. That sure beats standing in line behind panic buyers scarfing up the pellet supply, right? Reusable projectiles are a major advantage to this rifle. Of course one is limited to shooting at a target rated to handle this much power. Sometimes at about 3300 psi with a field point, the penetration has been well over 7 inches (maybe 9?) and the high energy uses a lot of air. As far as quality arrows go, they are not all that expensive. The field points even have an o ring on the threaded shaft to keep them in place. It is easy to remove the three forward rails and makes it easier to bench rest without a bipod. The pistol grip has a handy hollow compartment.

Maybe folks buying this are used to pellet/slug accuracy blowing out of quality, regulated equipment. If you're an archery person, the added factor of having to be cognizant of how much pressure is in the tank is just another element like cross wind, distance, angle and steadiness. Shooting a compound bow requires more skill than this. How much pull back up to the "wall" is something this shooter is still working on to get elevation consistency. This rifle would not hit as hard as it does if it was regulated. One just needs to take tank pressure into account when making a shot. And that includes whether or not the black tank has been sitting out in the hot sun, seems like.

We just need to keep things legal when hunting with this piece. And the loudness of it should not be forgotten.

Put about 12 rifle arrows down range today. Very nice working on knowing how it shoots with varying ranges. Found some 150 grain field points to attempt to match the SEVR Robusto broadheads. Mistakes are too expensive busting up those tough (but not invincible) mechanical broadheads. Plus they were quickly tearing up the crossbow target.

35 yards confident with deer size vitals; working on 50 yards but still a good ways to go, if ever. Filling up to about 3300 psi and shooting till about 2800 psi which doesn’t give many shots, but should be decisive velocity-wise longer range. It is a good idea to be mindful of how much air is in the tank in order to sight more precisely. The Arojac arrow puller is invaluable and the loud report is tolerable without hearing protection. 

This would be used for nuisance deer, in season, on private property. The oaks on our property did not make acorns this year, so the deer did not come get our vegetables (guessing).

I've had an Airsaber for a few months now and generally love it, but I have a question for fellow owners. Regardless of how I orient the barrel shroud or vanes, I get contact between the two nearly the entire shroud length with every shot. I fletched a few arrows with 4" low profile Bohning vanes and accuracy/consistency immediately improved. I keep equal PSI, distance, rest position, etc when shooting, so I'm not sure what else it could have been. Do your vanes always touch the shroud? I emailed Umarex about it a few weeks ago, but no response (of course). This is my first post on this forum, and the first forum I've been a part of in about 10 years, so I apologize if I say/do something stupid. 

I've had an Airsaber for a few months now and generally love it, but I have a question for fellow owners. Regardless of how I orient the barrel shroud or vanes, I get contact between the two nearly the entire shroud length with every shot. I fletched a few arrows with 4" low profile Bohning vanes and accuracy/consistency immediately improved. I keep equal PSI, distance, rest position, etc when shooting, so I'm not sure what else it could have been. Do your vanes always touch the shroud? I emailed Umarex about it a few weeks ago, but no response (of course). This is my first post on this forum, and the first forum I've been a part of in about 10 years, so I apologize if I say/do something stupid.

Cant speak to the Air Saber, but in a Condor Conversion I did some years ago with a kit made by a fellow, the vanes would touch the inside of the shroud...but that was by design. As I insert the arrow down the shroud, I would give it a twist as I go down. You could actually see the arrow spin as it left the barrel when I decreased power enough to actually see the arrow. I assume that it would twist on high power, but impossible to see. Forget to twist and accuracy would be off... twist and all good. May apply with the Air Sabre. 

ok so today i received my airsaber , i followed the instructions , how to first time fill with air , lube arrows all that jaz, i aired it up to 3500 and took it out and shot it and the first few arrows where fine... thats when the fun started every arrow after didnt matter about high or low bottle pressure it blows the end of the arrow off down range and sends the arrow tumbling ... that being said has anyone else had this issue ?

The 9 Umarex arrows from Pyramyd Air have been fine, with 3 of them being used extensively, including penetration of sandbags maybe 6 times. Bent some 150 grain field points meant for a more narrow shaft and bent base of blades/bent and dulled tip on a SEVR Robusto broadhead with blades screwed in to not extend. Arrows still shoot ok.

Seems like the outermost edge of the vane does contact the shroud, and never saw unbalanced deformation. When lightly lubing the air tube by applying some Ballistol to the nock end interior of an arrow every once in a while, I try to remember to check the tightness of the air tube to make sure it has not come unscrewed (no problems after that one early discovery).

Would love to report deer hunting accuracy to 50 yards, but for me, just not confident. Rifle air tank pressure variance is just one element. Canting error is real, and always try to keep the rifle plumb. Wish the scope had an integrated bubble level. About 35 yards maximum for me at this time. No harvesting any game yet, just enjoying acquiring a skill. Slowed down shooting during cold time.. Would like to hear more results from other members.

I was supposed to use mine on an axis hunt, so I dedicated the other day to shooting/troubleshooting it. I could break down the details of how I eliminated variable XYZ with XYZ pressures and shots, but I basically boiled it down to: same arrow same pressure =2" group at 60 yards consistently. If I changed arrows, it would also group about 2", but the point of impact would be different. I chalked it up to my fletching but who knows. I did install a bubble level and it seemed to help....thennnnn my pump broke after less than 1 total hour of run time(Thank God for warranties)