• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airline fittings for compressor help

Hi,

I recently bought a Tuxing 2 cylinder compressor, which came with some quick release fittings. My fill probe for my Wildcat appears to have similar but obviously not exact threads to the ones that came with the Tuxing. Can somebody tell me what the 2 types are and if I can match my fill probe to the other style without causing a catastrophe? Fitting 1 is tapered, the other not tapered. Fitting 1 came with my omega tank valve, the others are from China so I assume they are metric. Fitting 1 male seems to fit into fitting 2 female and squish the seal inside. I've been out of the trades for decades so I don't know my fittings anymore, so any advice on what I'm looking and what the fittings are called would be appreciated. Can these be adapted to work together? Obviously I could spend a few hours researching, but why not ask the collective brain of the airgunnation forum?

IMG_9692.1599854872.JPG

IMG_9693.1599855489.JPG

IMG_9694.1599854905.JPG

IMG_9697.1599854943.JPG

IMG_9696.1599855107.jpg

The parallel thread on the hose is M10*1. If it wasn't M10*!, then it would be 1/8 BSP. The hose and quick connect pictured seal with the white delrin washer inside the quick connect. Tapered thread fittings are 1/8 NPT, which is common in the U.S. BSP parallel fittings use a Dowty seal, which is a flat metal washer surrounding a rubber o-ring. All tapered thread NPT fittings require Teflon tape to form an air seal and must be mated with a tapered thread fitting. Mixing and matching different thread types result in leaks and are unsafe at high pressure.

What am I missing?

Looking at the first photo I cannot distinguish the difference between the threads on the tapered fitting (#1) and the parallel fitting (#2) directly alongside it

I do see that the threads on #1 are the full length of the piece & on # 2 they do not go all the way (allowing for a dowty?)

But see no taper/parallel distinction.

Thanks

Ed

What am I missing?

Looking at the first photo I cannot distinguish the difference between the threads on the tapered fitting (#1) and the parallel fitting (#2) directly alongside it

I do see that the threads on #1 are the full length of the piece & on # 2 they do not go all the way (allowing for a dowty?)

Thanks

Ed

You aren't missing anything. Fitting #1 is not tapered, it is a parallel thread. Both fitting 1 and fitting 2 mate to each other and are M10*1. I even suspect the female hose in the lowere photo is parallel threaded. It looks tapered because of the angle the photo was taken. It is probably a 1/8 BSP threaded hose because of the extension inside. If it truly is tapered it is a 1/8 NPT female hose fitting. Because of the inside shape it probably uses a dowty seal which is why I assume is a 1/8 BSP female hose fitting.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Ed

You aren't missing anything. Fitting #1 is not tapered, it is a parallel thread. Both fitting 1 and fitting 2 mate to each other and are M10*1. I even suspect the female hose in the lowere photo is parallel threaded. It looks tapered because of the angle the photo was taken. It is probably a 1/8 BSP threaded hose because of the extension inside. If it truly is tapered it is a 1/8 NPT female hose fitting. Because of the inside shape it probably uses a dowty seal which is why I assume is a 1/8 BSP female hose fitting.

Thanks, Humdinger

That explains a great deal.

I assume then that with tapered threads when placed alongside parallel one will see a distinct difference.

Is that true?

Must be Google Images time.

Ed

These threads are different. The brass will not thread into the metric female threads that came with he bottles nor will the threads mesh like they would if they were the same. One is from China, one is from the US. I do not think the brass threads are tapered as they have a tapered seal surface that hits a seal in the fitting. Straight pipe thread maybe?

IMG_9735.1600027586.JPG
IMG_9734.1600027587.JPG

The silver male hose end on the Tuxing that mates to the female brass quick connect is Chinese and it’s M10*1 threaded. I’m sure! 

FX male quick connects are 1/8 BSP threaded.

That quick connect with the silver head and brass thread appears to me to be parallel threaded as well which would also make it M10*1. If it is tapered then it’s 1/8 NPT.

The silver male hose end on the Tuxing that mates to the female brass quick connect is Chinese and it’s M10*1 threaded. I’m sure! 

That quick connect with the silver head and brass thread appears to me to be parallel threaded as well which would also make it M10*1. If it is tapered then it’s 1/8 NPT.

IMO the thread on the Chinese hose is M10x1 and the quick connect appears to be a Best Fittings style brass body- steal locking ring type and is most likely to be 1/8 BSP. None of the above fittings is NPT.

IMO the thread on the Chinese hose is M10x1 and the quick connect appears to be a Best Fittings style brass body- steal locking ring type and is most likely to be 1/8 BSP. None of the above fittings is NPT.

Thanks for your input - I think, based on what is available on the market, is that the brass threads on the hose that came with the Omega bottle is BSPP, ie British Standard Parallel Pipe. Seem like it's either that standard or the Metric stuff. Strangely the quick connect shape seems to be the same on both standards.

The QD snap fittings are standard Foster type. They are universal for HP SCUBA, paintball, and PSP applications. The thread types vary from country to country and application. As a general rule paintball and US-made stuff are mostly NPT threads. European and PCP orientated stuff is usually BSPP. Your fill probe and nearly all other fill probes are 1/8 BSPP. A lot of the accessory stuff coming out of China will be metric. You can order fittings in any of these types, you just need to understand what type you need before ordering. There are other slight differences in dimensions of the QD fittings made by different suppliers but that is another issue that you will need to deal with if you want to mix and match different branded products. I have a good selection of the various types and the sealing methods needed for them. It took me a couple of years of trial and error before I got a proper understanding of what to and what not to buy. I don't live in the US and don't have access to us made fittings. I was unable to find any local suppliers of Foster type fittings. All of my fittings and accessories come from Asia or Britain.