• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airguns you DON'T regret buying.

20190114_113216.jpg

I have purchased a fairly large number of airguns, starting with a Cros 760 in 1975. That's one I never liked but got me on the airgun path and I've not regretted many at all. They have been everything from wonderful to educational. These 3 were part of a big lot I purchased during a gun store yard sale. They were $5 each. I refinished the right one and have started the process on the others. I currently plink regularly with the center one with the peeps. They are built well and have good but simple triggers. The barrels are very finely rifled... look to be more than 12 groove but I've not counted. I've had a few different models and all of this style have been very accurate... MUCH more so than an R7 I had in the early 80s. Made in Mexico, they are called Mendoza Competencia's. Not sure of the vintage but could not have been made later than the 70s. These and some Mendoza Magnum's that I had are diesel guns... actually designed to diesel by putting some drops of some kind of oil on a felt pad behind the piston seal through a port in the compression tube. I put HW30 seals on these and do not use them in diesel mode.

I've enjoyed all your posts... keep 'em coming...
Bob

Reactions: bf1956
As a corollary to the guns you regret buyingthread , how about another thread on guns you do not regret buying.

No bashing others on price or brand please - it's their money to spend how they want.

Here's mine:
Kalibrgun Cricket Carbine Mini .22 - hands down one of the most accurate, precise, reliable, not pellet picky, first shot always spot on, 40 yard one hole shooters I've owned.

AAA EVOL/Slayer - just pure top notch engineering and implementation. Happy to support Made in USA.

Taipan Veteran - this is the airgun every new PCP entrant in the mid-level market should own.

Crosman Mark I/II CO2 pistol - IMO still one of the best CO2 pistols out there. Plenty available on eBay. If possible get one with adjustable speed and 2 power level cocking. With a MAC1 shroud it's nearly silent.
All of them.

tim

My First Rapid MKII .20 cal...
I did a few mods when I got it....
AllenZ did his magic and install one of his Snail Fart Shrouds
Then I had Paul Wilson make a Cobra Thumbhole Stock to fit... His first MKII
Then final piece was sending it back to AllenZ.
I let him used as a prototype unit.... He converted it to the Mark 4 Trigger unit!!.. Another First!!!!!
This has turned on Many Airgunners to PCP's and Rapids through the Years on AirgunAdvice....
rapid3_1_.jpg

Being relatively new to PCPs, I fell down the rabbit hole very quickly. I have four PCPs and one on e the way, and no regrets. They each scratch an itch I had. I started out not knowing much about the major premium brands like FX, Daystate and the like. I shot Benjamin pumps as a kid back in the early 1960s, so I hd a soft spot in my heart for the brand. The Akela bullpup really looked the part for me, and I got one in .177, just like my childhood Benjamin. I still love that gun and am impressed with its accuracy and ability to easily adjust the FPS on many different weight pellets and slugs. Definitely a keeper. My nest gun was a Crown Continuum in .25. I like the idea of being able to switch calibers, and saw the 700mm slug barrel seemed like good medicine for coyotes, based on some youtube videos I watched. Another keeper. Next was the Benjamin P-Rod in .22. Turned it into a carbine and it is my "go to" back yard friendly pester. There is no power adjustment, just consistent accuracy and FPS based on the weight of the pellet. My favorite pellet for it is the 16.05 grain H&N pointy-nosed Coppa Spitzkugel Excite. Exceptional accuracy and enough medicine to drop a crow from the tree tops. My last purchase was a Daystate Air Wolf MCT. It took me a while to figure out Daystate, but I soon realized there are several great PCPs coming out of England. I feel sorry that they are stick with the sub 12 limit, but nevertheless, the Limey's lover their Daystates, and I love mine too. Accurate beyond belief. A beautiful gun. I just order another "little" bull pup in .25, based on youtube videos and recommendations here on the forum . . . a Caiman X. Can't wait. So five guns, and they are all keepers and serve their purpose. For some reason I can't get my "first wife" (of 49 years) to understand my fascination with the hoppy. 🍻

Hatsan Factor RC...
I really like it and it was my first "real" airgun. I liked it so much, I bought an FX Impact M3 because it seemed everyone on the planet said it's the best. I lack the experience in this community to say it's not. I've yet to learn all the tricks and adjustments that these guns are capable of but out of the box, the Factor RC is a far more comfortable gun to shoot for me. It's crazy accurate and the trigger is amazing. The single shot tray is intuitive, simple and included.

The impact is seriously cool but I think I'll have another $400+ in it in accessories before it's as comfortable. Length of pull is too short for me.