Airgun VS Rimfire for hunting

I am actually leaning the opposite direction lately, If I could ( but that is impossible ) I would sell all my airguns in bulk and hunt with my .22
I can go from Gemtech subsonics at 70 FPE and very very quiet to CCI standard velocity 1070 @ 100 FPE and still pretty quiet to the CCI mini-mag 140 FPE to the CCI Stingers @ 190+ FPE

That is what would do but the selling of my airguns will never happen so I guess I'll continue hunting with Airguns 😉

I am actually leaning the opposite direction lately, If I could ( but that is impossible ) I would sell all my airguns in bulk and hunt with my .22
I can go from Gemtech subsonics at 70 FPE and very very quiet to CCI standard velocity 1070 @ 100 FPE and still pretty quiet to the CCI mini-mag 140 FPE to the CCI Stingers @ 190+ FPE

That is what would do but the selling of my airguns will never happen so I guess I'll continue hunting with Airguns 😉
Try the CCI Segmented HP. They come in three speeds and the fastest outran Stingers over the chrono. It's a very effective round that doesn't exit the far side of a coyote.
1,640 fps
https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/segmented_hollow_point/6-74.html 1,050 fps

Last edited:
I would share my experience; I took a 40 yd shot at a squirrel (Head shot) who was sitting in the crook of a tree about 25 yards up.
My first shot missed, and the squirrel jumped and moved just a few feet away and above the spot he originally was at.

Because the shot was quiet, it did not send him off like the crack of a .22lr would have, giving me a second chance at him.
For me, there is no going back to a .22LR for small game.

I'm glad I found this old thread, as I have been going back and forth on this subject for years. I own a few PCPs, but I don't know much about air rifles as I do with PBs.

I like PCP because they are not regulated like PB are...not like I'm trying to get away with anything, but I feel that hunting with PCP in my area is better. I will have close in shots...I say way under 100 yards and it's heavily populated area. I like that the moderators do a pretty good job of sound suppression.

I have a great Marlin 880SQ that shoots very well and I have the barrel threaded to use subsonic and my suppressor. Since it is a bolt action, it is quiet...I would say it is very similar to my PCP with moderators. The big advantage of the 22LR is FPE. For me, the biggest con is it's length...the rifle is light, but it's much longer then a PCP bullpup.

Sometimes, a .22lr is just excessive, and especially if you hunt around populated areas, safety can be a factor. The bullet is fairly aerodynamic and can be lethal at longer ranges than most people imagine, so you really need to be more aware of your backstop. A pellet with much lower BC that sheds velocity faster can be much safer in these situations.

Reactions: Filnez and Mr.H
Have both, if you have plenty of air and not go too far from it then would go with airgun. Best would be both, airgun for closer smaller targets and rimfire for when/if needed.

RAW with moderator in .22 can shoot sticks 2" from a squirrel and the squirrel not realize anything other than sorcery... Can't do that with a suppressed rimfire. As far as those duds, change your ammo or lot. I shoot a lot of rimfire in competition and have seen it happen many times where someone gets a bad lot of ammo and nothing but problems. (I have a case of Norma ammo now that keyholes due to sub velocity issues.)

Hey folks , my 2.5 cents . I'm a dyed in the wool .22 rimfire addict . I had over a dozen ( I think ) shooters & several wall hangers + more handguns & single shot precision barrels for TC Contenders than I care to admit ( to my wife ), UNTIL I got hooked by PCP airguns !! Now that the groundhogs are out & about I think the rimfires will be seeing more field time initially . I have two young nephews that just came of age in '22 so I gave them each a gun from my arsenal. The PCP's are starting to filter in now . I do see me leaning more toward them because of more available shots/ and targets that I have over PB's ( w/ the right power & ammo of course ). I don't hunt small / large game anymore & pesting is less strenuous . Your mileage may very for sure . My larger PB's have been thinned also. The mountains in PA get steeper every year . It's a documented fact ;) !

A little bout dis an dat. Down hear in da Sout Caralina Lo Countree in 60's. Tomatta famin twas still big busness. Dat befo peoples frum off cum hear an bring dem dam golf cos. Now, some body menshun sumpin bout rabbit an shot gun. I hear bout dees bois goanin campin affa de fus big fross. Befo dey tu'n up de fiel'. Sumpin bout dem bois an de ole Jon Dey trata an da daa'k nite an da hoss saddle an da jack lite an da 4-10 shot gun an Buh Rabbit. Well, my'own name Nat. My'own lip tis flat. Das all I gonna say bout dat. A Gullah Tale

Comparing rimfires to pcp performance is really comparing apples to oranges. To suggest that pcp's can be substituted for rimfires out to 200 yds in my view is a misapplication of the pcp technology. I love air rifles, rimfires and centerfire rifles and have had the great good fortune of owning quite a bunch of the centerfires and rimfires over the years. I am recently coming back to air rifles and having a great load of fun with them. They all have their place and role in the hunters gun cabinet and in the field. What I see happening is the passion for pcp's getting in the way of clear, objective definition of their capabilities and role to the hunter. Let's review some facts: the laws of physics of compressed air draws hard limits in the design of the power plant of an air rifle as they function in the range of 3,000 psi. The chamber pressure of the lowly 22 lr is 24,000 psi. So although they both launch a projectile they are very different. A 22 wmr firing a 35 gr bullet at 2,350 fps, zeroed at 100 yds will drop around 6 inches at 200 yards. A 17 hmr can do a bit better. A 22 air rifle shooting a slug at 980 fps, zeroed at 100 yds will drop 48 inches at 200 yds. If a light 5 mph cross breeze is blowing it will drift off course almost 10 inches. Air rifles, due to their low velocity, poor ballistic coefficients have limitations. Understanding these, accepting these and then performing in the field within these limits is the challenge. I humbly submit that the pcp is not the best choice for hunting out at 200 yards, it has the foot pounds to do the job on small game, but field accuracy even with good range finders is problematic. The 22 lr probably isn't the best 200 yd choice. The 22 wmr would be my choice, the 17hmr is flatter shooting, but the light projectile is more susceptible to wind. Personally I do not shoot at game at 200 plus yds, I am not consistently accurate enough shooting under field conditions to place a 10 shot group in the size of the animals kills zone every time at that range.(not talking bench rest shooting here) There are those that can, but they are fewer than we sometimes like to admit. My furthest shot, standing, off hand was 177 yards on a Maine moose with a .300 Weatherby. I shot a woodchuck at 127 paces with a Springfield 22 lr with peep sight from a rest, an 8 point Idaho buck at 120 yds, standing, off hand with a Winchester Model 70 .30-06. Those represent the furthest shots in a lifetime of hunting with a good many animals put in the freezer.
With regards to reliability of rimfire ammo, testing of over 3,500 rounds of rimfire ammo of many makes and lots showed a fail to fire rate of .26% or less than 3 per 1,000 rounds. (study posted on Rimfire Central). While that may give one pause if considering a rimfire for self defense, it is a non issue in hunting. With regards to the weight of the rimfire ammo to lug around, please..... be serious.

I am in no way intending to offend the OP. He is obviously a dedicated sportsman and serious about what he does. I am not questioning his ethics or intentions. I am simply questioning the 200 yd capabilities of air rifles for small game and the passions of pcp enthusiasts in making such claims, that is why I am presenting some facts for the communities consideration. It is extremely important for us as sportsmen and women to objectively select the best tools for the job when harvesting animals. Hunting itself is at stake, the anti-hunters are ever present. No one can do that for us, it is the responsibility of this community to set the bar high, place tough standards of performance on ourselves and operate within strict performance limits that we willingly place on ourselves if we wish to maintain credibility and integrity.

I started small game and pest hunting a couple years ago with a PCP because where I was hunting it was smart not to aggravate neighbors. My current small game rifle is a FX Wildcat sniper .22.
I also have a Tikka T1x .22LR with a suppressor. I use Lapua sub sonic ammo but have only used it once to hunt.
I prefer the PCP because it is definitely quieter than the Tikka, not a lot quieter but the squirrels don’t seem to get rattled from the PCP.
Another good reason I prefer PCP’s is .22LR ammo of good quality isn’t cheap. I like to shoot, a lot, so pellets are an obvious plan B. Tiny groups and tiny targets are pretty satisfying.

D8E42D24-2CCB-447B-8F59-EA00EC43B53D.jpeg

474481DE-9DAD-4880-B262-E6C1B633B4D1.jpeg

Reactions: Sc0-
Comparing rimfires to pcp performance is really comparing apples to oranges.
Well "rimfires" is a very wide category indeed. No airgun will ever touch .17 HMR. The only "apples to apples" comparison for a PCP slugger here would be to a subsonic .22LR round. And a subsonic .22lr is clearly not a 200 yard round if you expect any sort of accuracy... it is possible that a PCP slugger might have an edge over it at longer distances just because of lower velocity spread, but you're right of course... just because you can, does not mean you should. Pick the right tool for the job.

Last edited:
Comparing rimfires to pcp performance is really comparing apples to oranges. To suggest that pcp's can be substituted for rimfires out to 200 yds in my view is a misapplication of the pcp technology. I love air rifles, rimfires and centerfire rifles and have had the great good fortune of owning quite a bunch of the centerfires and rimfires over the years. I am recently coming back to air rifles and having a great load of fun with them. They all have their place and role in the hunters gun cabinet and in the field. What I see happening is the passion for pcp's getting in the way of clear, objective definition of their capabilities and role to the hunter. Let's review some facts: the laws of physics of compressed air draws hard limits in the design of the power plant of an air rifle as they function in the range of 3,000 psi. The chamber pressure of the lowly 22 lr is 24,000 psi. So although they both launch a projectile they are very different. A 22 wmr firing a 35 gr bullet at 2,350 fps, zeroed at 100 yds will drop around 6 inches at 200 yards. A 17 hmr can do a bit better. A 22 air rifle shooting a slug at 980 fps, zeroed at 100 yds will drop 48 inches at 200 yds. If a light 5 mph cross breeze is blowing it will drift off course almost 10 inches. Air rifles, due to their low velocity, poor ballistic coefficients have limitations. Understanding these, accepting these and then performing in the field within these limits is the challenge. I humbly submit that the pcp is not the best choice for hunting out at 200 yards, it has the foot pounds to do the job on small game, but field accuracy even with good range finders is problematic. The 22 lr probably isn't the best 200 yd choice. The 22 wmr would be my choice, the 17hmr is flatter shooting, but the light projectile is more susceptible to wind. Personally I do not shoot at game at 200 plus yds, I am not consistently accurate enough shooting under field conditions to place a 10 shot group in the size of the animals kills zone every time at that range.(not talking bench rest shooting here) There are those that can, but they are fewer than we sometimes like to admit. My furthest shot, standing, off hand was 177 yards on a Maine moose with a .300 Weatherby. I shot a woodchuck at 127 paces with a Springfield 22 lr with peep sight from a rest, an 8 point Idaho buck at 120 yds, standing, off hand with a Winchester Model 70 .30-06. Those represent the furthest shots in a lifetime of hunting with a good many animals put in the freezer.
With regards to reliability of rimfire ammo, testing of over 3,500 rounds of rimfire ammo of many makes and lots showed a fail to fire rate of .26% or less than 3 per 1,000 rounds. (study posted on Rimfire Central). While that may give one pause if considering a rimfire for self defense, it is a non issue in hunting. With regards to the weight of the rimfire ammo to lug around, please..... be serious.

I am in no way intending to offend the OP. He is obviously a dedicated sportsman and serious about what he does. I am not questioning his ethics or intentions. I am simply questioning the 200 yd capabilities of air rifles for small game and the passions of pcp enthusiasts in making such claims, that is why I am presenting some facts for the communities consideration. It is extremely important for us as sportsmen and women to objectively select the best tools for the job when harvesting animals. Hunting itself is at stake, the anti-hunters are ever present. No one can do that for us, it is the responsibility of this community to set the bar high, place tough standards of performance on ourselves and operate within strict performance limits that we willingly place on ourselves if we wish to maintain credibility and integrity.
Great post,

I always considered airgun hunting like bowhunting, a close quarter gig.

Reactions: rcs9250