• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

Airgun Vendors I Hate

I hate, and will not do business with, vendors who require a signature for parcel delivery. When a parcel requiring signature is due to arrive I have to wait, in my home's first floor, for an indeterminate time, for the delivery driver. I cannot go downstairs to work on my guns or use my desktop computer because then I might not hear the doorbell, or not be able to get to the door in the eight seconds between the ring and the driver deciding I am not home.

I imagine the dealers require an adult signature because their local law requires it, or because one or some states require it and its too much trouble to learn which do not, or because they have had claims of non delivery. I don't care. They are off my list.

Whenever I ship an airgun thru USPS and it is high enough value for me to insure the only option (with insurance) is "Signature Required". Not sure what the minimum valve is but at $900 it is required. So don't purchase from a private seller who is prudent enough to insure. Personally I think I would refuse to sell to a buyer if they insisted it NOT be signature required. Too easy for that person to commit fraud, IMHO.

I personally don't like to require signature on my shipments but there are cases where I pay extra just to make sure a package gets to it's intended buyer. As a small business owner, I've been burnt many times with charge backs. People buy items with stolen cards all the time or they purchase something and tell their credit company that they did not buy it. Credit card companies 99% of the time will side with the buyer. So I just lost my products, credit card took back their money, my bank charges me a fee for charge back. We then have to buy add-ons for our websites to detect potential fraud transactions. Not 100% fool proof. I know some dealers who took incredible losses because of charge backs/fraud. We try to protect ourselves as much as possible but still provide a great service to our customers. Unless UPS, USPS, FEDex start taking pictures like Amazon does of proof of delivery, a signature might be the only proof we have of delivery. Speaking of which I ordered a cable for my drone a few days ago, Amazon shows delivered yesterday and took a picture. I know that's not my door, it's my neighbors! So will need to chase down my package tomorrow. 

Whenever I ship an airgun thru USPS and it is high enough value for me to insure the only option (with insurance) is "Signature Required". Not sure what the minimum valve is but at $900 it is required. So don't purchase from a private seller who is prudent enough to insure. Personally I think I would refuse to sell to a buyer if they insisted it NOT be signature required. Too easy for that person to commit fraud, IMHO.

I personally don't like to require signature on my shipments but there are cases where I pay extra just to make sure a package gets to it's intended buyer. As a small business owner, I've been burnt many times with charge backs. People buy items with stolen cards all the time or they purchase something and tell their credit company that they did not buy it. Credit card companies 99% of the time will side with the buyer. So I just lost my products, credit card took back their money, my bank charges me a fee for charge back. We then have to buy add-ons for our websites to detect potential fraud transactions. Not 100% fool proof. I know some dealers who took incredible losses because of charge backs/fraud. We try to protect ourselves as much as possible but still provide a great service to our customers. Unless UPS, USPS, FEDex start taking pictures like Amazon does of proof of delivery, a signature might be the only proof we have of delivery. Speaking of which I ordered a cable for my drone a few days ago, Amazon shows delivered yesterday and took a picture. I know that's not my door, it's my neighbors! So will need to chase down my package tomorrow.

Sorry springer But I also agree with both of the above fellows very strongly . There are just to many dishonest people to worry about a minor inconvenience of a signature. I would much appreciate having to sign myself it helps us all as a whole not just one sided . 

You are however free to chose what ever you wish . 👌👊

I hate, and will not do business with, vendors who require a signature for parcel delivery. When a parcel requiring signature is due to arrive I have to wait, in my home's first floor, for an indeterminate time, for the delivery driver. I cannot go downstairs to work on my guns or use my desktop computer because then I might not hear the doorbell, or not be able to get to the door in the eight seconds between the ring and the driver deciding I am not home.

I imagine the dealers require an adult signature because their local law requires it, or because one or some states require it and its too much trouble to learn which do not, or because they have had claims of non delivery. I don't care. They are off my list.

It will be ok just relax everything will work itself out and I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow. 👍😁

Dear Springer, hate is such a strong word these days. With almost all parcel delivery services offering delivery time windows through an app, how hard is it to put a sticky note on the door on the day of delivery saying you are home and downstairs, it takes an extra minute to answer the door. Also with ring doorbells that alert to your phone, the horrible dilemma of having a house so big it is impossible to answer the front door on time seems very trivial. How about a drop box like at ups or an amazon box? 

I used to live in a big city and I did not like when deliveries were left at the door without a signature, can you imagine your package being stolen? It sucks.

What you don't understand is vendors are held hostage by payment processors. They dictate rules for us when you sell guns (makes no difference to them if it is a BB gun firearm) I have signed a user agreement with payment processors that I will require "Adult signature" for airguns. There are very few payment processors that will allow online sales of guns period. So, one option always is to send in a check, PO, or MO and then you can have it your way, want the convenience of punching in some numbers and getting a bill in 30 days, well then we will all have to follow house rules.

From the "other" Springrrrr. I had my Daystate Wolverine left against my front door when it was supposed to get signed for. The chances of it getting heisted were slim, we have a lot of good neighbors that watch out for each other, but there is also a good number of outside contractors that drift by.

When it comes to high end items, I don't mind having to sign.

Dear Springer, hate is such a strong word these days. With almost all parcel delivery services offering delivery time windows through an app, how hard is it to put a sticky note on the door on the day of delivery saying you are home and downstairs, it takes an extra minute to answer the door. Also with ring doorbells that alert to your phone, the horrible dilemma of having a house so big it is impossible to answer the front door on time seems very trivial. How about a drop box like at ups or an amazon box? 

I used to live in a big city and I did not like when deliveries were left at the door without a signature, can you imagine your package being stolen? It sucks.

The day I wrote my post UPS promised delivery before noon. I did not receive the parcel until 5 PM the next day. So much for an app. I can hear my doorbell perfectly well in the basement, what advantage would the phone activating doorbell bring?

UPS, Fed X, and Amazon put their drivers under such time pressure that they will not wait, no matter what you do, and the sticky note approach still requires me to be at home. I suppose I could have the parcel delivered to my nearest UPS shop, or drop box, but as I have had two airguns disappear in the UPS system, and another opened and the sights removed I want to get my package out of UPS's hands ASAP.

I live in a big city. I have never had a package stolen. USPS always hides packages behind the brick wall at the front of my porch, a majority of the other delivery services do not, I only ship via USPS and have never had a problem.

You are talking about two different problems: First is credit card fraud. The addition of a security number to the card was designed to deal with stolen numbers. It does not prevent use of stolen cards. Have you noticed that ATMs require a chip card and PIN? Why, because it is much more secure than the signature required with credit cards. Why do gas stations require a zip code. It is a form of semi PIN, Why, to the best of my knowledge, do all countries except the U.S. use a chip card and PIN. Because it is more secure than the US system. Why don't US credit card companies use this system. It is cheaper to back charge you than pay to change their system. If you could require a PIN from your online purchasers along withe a card number you would have far less fraud. Delivery companies do not and cannot confirm that a signature is valid. So the signature gives you no protection against credit card fraud. 

Delivery problems: These take two forms. Incorrect delivery by the driver and claim of non delivery. I agree that the recipient of a mis delivered package is less likely to forge a name than to simply retain a package left on a porch or hallway. If I intended to lie about receiving a package I would have my wife or friend or wife sign for it. I suppose there are thieves dumb enough not to think of this.

Requiring a signature gives you protection only against mis delivery to a sleaze or to a a dumb thief. I submit those situations are very rare and you are wasting your money by requiring signature.

What you don't understand is vendors are held hostage by payment processors. They dictate rules for us when you sell guns (makes no difference to them if it is a BB gun firearm) I have signed a user agreement with payment processors that I will require "Adult signature" for airguns. There are very few payment processors that will allow online sales of guns period. So, one option always is to send in a check, PO, or MO and then you can have it your way, want the convenience of punching in some numbers and getting a bill in 30 days, well then we will all have to follow house rules.

I do not know that a signature will be required until I receive notice of delivery from the carrier. Do dealers keep this a secret so as not to put purchasers off?? I have never purchased anything from you, so I do not know if you warn of the signature requirement before the order is placed. I am sure you are telling the truth about payment processors, so I will limit my online airgun purchases to individuals. 

I do not know that a signature will be required until I receive notice of delivery from the carrier. Do dealers keep this a secret so as not to put purchasers off?? I have never purchased anything from you, so I do not know if you warn of the signature requirement before the order is placed. I am sure you are telling the truth about payment processors, so I will limit my online airgun purchases to individuals. 

I'm guessing you skipped over my post. I did some checking and for USPS insurance they require the signature on values over $500. So you may have to stay with cheap guns.

Well, just when you think you have heard it all, there is always a new one. Something that is very simple, designed to help both parties involved. How dare they!

I'm just betting that when wearing seatbelts became law you were upset, because you are a safe driver and don't need them.

I'm not going to read any of your posts in the future. Very simply, because, I can not see that anything is ever going to be positive.

To many scammers! I pay the extra $3 and put signature confirmation on everything I sell. I do let the buyer know and if they decide they don't want signature confirmation I make sure they state in our messages that THEY are taking responsibility if the package gets lost or stolen.... 

I believe with USPS any package insured over $250 automatically adds the signature confirmation... USPS wants to cover their butts also

To many scammers! I pay the extra $3 and put signature confirmation on everything I sell. I do let the buyer know and if they decide they don't want signature confirmation I make sure they state in our messages that THEY are taking responsibility if the package gets lost or stolen.... 

I believe with USPS any package insured over $250 automatically adds the signature confirmation... USPS wants to cover their butts also

If the signature requirement is designed to discourage scammers, why was a $1000 music system, $800 computer and $500 phone delivered to me by major retailers without signature but I have to sign for a $140 airgun? Are airgunners more likely to be scammers than music lovers or computer users?

Bigtinboat claims the USPS requires signature on insured parcels over $500. I have shipped parcels insured for $700 without need for signature. The USPS website says:

"Mail Insured for more than $500

The recipient may be required to show an acceptable primary ID before USPS will deliver the mailpiece."

Note the word "may" is used not "must" or "shall," I have carefully reviewed the USPS online regulations and have found no statement that all parcels valued over any specific amount requires signature. If anyone can find it, please direct me to it.