• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airgun stock painting ideas???

Bigragu

How's the paint holding up in use?

Would you have any links to the paint that you used?

Thanks

Ed

https://www.semproducts.com/products/refinish/flexible-coatings

I went to my local paint specialty store, Warehouse Paints. They have two departments, one for commercial and residential paints, and the other department is for custom hot rod paint. I went to the custom hot rod section, brought in my Monstrum scope that came in the flat dark earth tone, and left it with them to color match and inject the paint into a spray can.

i have two coats of final paint over a coat of primer, and the link I gave you is what Warehouse Paints uses mainly for automotive finishes. I know the mixer made the paint to follow the SEM flexible coatings, which is made for interior plastics subject to a lot of vibration such as the dash, console, door plastics, etc. I used the SEM line of adhesion promoters and primers, as part of the prep. Denatured alcohol to make sure any moisture and hand oils are key. Glove use during the prep is a requirement, and don’t touch any part of your hair or face while prepping.

when I say I have two final coats, it took multiple passes to get to the two final coats. You definitely don’t want to spray down your stock all at once and say “there’s one coat!” It took a few “misting coats” with about 15 minutes between those, to get to the first final coat. Then I let that dry to an hour and then reapplied the second coat, then gave it a whole 48 hours to cure before reassembly of the gun, then another 48 before I laid it on a gun rest and start shooting. I was in no rush, especially since I botched up the first go around on it due to misled information given to me by the employees in the paint store. They told me to lightly scuff, wipe down, then paint. Did that, and when reassembly of the gun came one nick on the stock with a screw and I took that scratch and was able to peel off the paint with my fingernails like no big deal. I set that stock out in the front lawn and power washed all that new paint off, watching my dollars all over the lawn. It was CHUCK on this forum that schooled me on proper prep procedures for painting a plastic stock. After his advice, all went well the second go around. After all, he’s been painting since a kid, so he knows his stuff.

I get ridiculous with paint lol. Not everyone's cup of tea
1596907544_18315390135f2ee0186e7ee5.19164406.jpg

This is fabulous! I love the colors. Nice work.