Airgun Shows

As in all things, it depends on how you conduct yourself while interacting, that determines how your attempt at haggling will be received. Try to be realistic with your offer.
Usually a little banter before asking, what is your Out The Door price on this, goes a long way. If they have the sense that you are poised to buy, and they have some wiggle room, they will usually accommodate you to an extent in the interest of generating some cash flow.
There is always the Package Deal tactic if they have a few or several items that you are interested in. Bundle up and see if you can save a few shekels.
I have personally found that a motivated seller will usually throw you a take it now price cut if they see that you are poised, but debating. That is if they have room on their price, or are just flat out needing folding money in lieu of inventory.

Reactions: beerthief
I was is retail for 35 years. I can’t tell you how many times someone would say to me I’ll think about it I’m gonna go check the prices elsewhere. They would come back a hour later and it sold already. You snooze you lose. Some shake it off, some don’t believe you and some got angry. Now when I shop I hang on product till it’s paid for.
‘Be realistic on offers, you don’t want to offend them. Crow

THIS

As much as I like to believe otherwise, I AM NOT the only character out there obsessed with weird and wonderful vintage match rifles.
If the price is within means and reason, strike while the iron is hot.
missed a brass Benjamin brass transition 322 at the Kalamazoo show , i want one

I’ve been to every Texas Airgun Show since it’s inception. It’s virtually in my back yard. You’ll have a great time. And know there is more to do than walk the tables. Vendors will be there of course, and you will be able to to go out to the range right “next door” and shoot the guns they offer. Great time to get your trigger finger fix on.
It’s just like any garage sale. The closer to closing time the cheaper it gets. That is, unless someone beats you to it.
Also bring your FT stuff and stick around for the match on Sunday. Always a great event.

There are no formulas for how much anyone should pay for anything at any moment in time. Much less airguns. Much less used airguns. Far too may variables and exceptions for any formula to mean anything whatsoever. But as an airgun show regular for over two decades, both as exhibitor and "consumer", I will share some opinions based on VAST experience(s).

1) Why any airgunner would attend an airgun show as nothing more that curiosity seeker, ill-equipped to BUY A NEW TOY (or SEVERAL), is beyond me. Although my priority is thinning my inventory considerably (I'll have two tables of intensely interesting variety), just as big priority is bringing home some new toys! Hence, we now introduce the term horse-tradin'. Some sellers are more amenable to taking trade-ins than others, but seldom will a seller want to give used retail value in trade. Think auto dealers.

2) Seldom are asking prices non-negotiable. However, assuming you're dealing with a Realist, neither are offensive counter-offers not taken as exactly that. Hence, we now introduce the term wiggle-room... and distinguish it from the term convulsions! Suffice to say insulting offers are often met with some level of obstinance, counter-insult, or complete shut-down. Over the decades I've learned to moderate my reaction to insulting offers with the simple, to-the-point phrase, "I'm sorry, we can't do business."

3) How to know in advance of complete shut-down? Any mention of the word "FIRM" means non-negotiable; NOT to be confused with "walk away". For instance, I might include some absolute GEMS to attract attention to my tables that I'm not motivated to sell; some possibly priced. In such cases a gun may be so incredible or unique you'll never have another opportunity to own it at any price. What to do? Ask yourself if you want to own it bad enough to pay a non-negotiable asking price; and if so, BUY IT THEN AND THERE, or you'll return to find it gone to an over-joyed new owner.

124 stock close-up.JPG

4) How much discount to counter-offer? Again, NO FORMULA. Before making a counter-offer I've already asked all my questions and/or shot the gun, and already decided the most I'm willing to pay.

5) Any hesitation to answer intelligent questions, or any ELUSIVE answers to intelligent questions, should be taken as RED FLAGS; at the least devaluing the item, if not disqualifying it entirely. Trust me, you don't want to buy an airgun from an elusive seller any more than I do.

6) Non-exhibitors are welcome and encouraged to bring guns to sell and trade. But understand you are essentially a wholesaler, and table holders are retailers. Again, think auto dealers. And, not to be confused as a bad thing.

7) I've had more, and more KINDS of airgun fun that anyone on Earth. NO EXAGGERATION. That stated, the only thing more fun than airgun shows is traditionally enjoyed BUCK-NAKED!:eek:

8) NO, I haven't figured out how to enjoy airgun shows buck-naked...

9) But I'm working on it! :unsure:

Reactions: d3vnull and bf1956