Airgun Shipping

Just wanted to see if anyone else has developed shipping problems. I used to have no problems shipping but now UPS says they will open and inspect the package at their hub if I tell them it is an airgun. The local UPS store says the rules have changed and now you have to tell them what is in the box. FedEx will not tell me if I can ship an airgun. USPS did not know if they can ship an airgun or not but they did take my package as a ground shipment due to the compressed air. I hesitate to lie about what I am shipping.

Tell them it's "sports equipment".

Most of these issues can be avoided by printing postage at home. You'll also save money on shipping. UPS I bring it into the store, tell the guy I have a package that's all labelled to go, he scans it, give me a receipt and I'm on my way. USPS I leave the package on the counter with the other pre-paid mailing packages. Never a question and never a problem. 

PirateShip has saved me money shipping the past few times I've used it.

I have saved a lot with Pirate Ship also. The last airgun related package I sent (a LDC) was going to be $26.00 going through UPS. The same package was $8.95, shipped via UPS going through Pirate Ship!

My local UPS Store won't accept anything in a long flat box without a 101 questions about what's in the box. The UPS Driver that deliveres in our neighborhood couldn't care less, told me so, and said to just flag him down anytime I had something to ship, so no more trips to the Ultra Petty Snowflake (UPS) Store for me!

I think a lot of this boils down to misunderstanding as to what is a firearm/gun. Employees at shipping locations don't always know the difference between firearms like rifles, handguns, black powder firearms, or air guns (rifles or pistols) which are not firearms. In their ignorance they assume air guns are firearms when they are not. Firearms have to be shipped from FFL to FFL or owner to manufacture (FFL) or you can actually ship them to yourself. To the best of my knowledge black powder firearms can be shipped to new owners from dealers (no FFL required). Air guns since they are not firearms don't really have any shipping requirements. So shippers being confused over firearms and air guns tend to error on the "I don't want to get arrested for doing something wrong" refuse to accept or ship your air gun.

Reactions: Trucker3573
... Air guns since they are not firearms don't really have any shipping requirements. ...

This is not true and it is why the big box air gun stores say right on their web sites they won't ship certain PCPs to places like Hawaii without special preparation. Besides that, it also varies by state since some states consider some (or all) air guns to be firearms.

Also, FWIW, some states allow a non-licensee to ship some firearms to another non-licensee in the same state. Plus, it's legal to ship a long gun to yourself in another state, usually for a hunting trip.

The regulations are pretty complex and the people behind the counter usually do not understand them very well.

Reactions: rickpeterson
I do the same as ctshooter and wyshadow, I use pirateship as well.

I don't lie because I don't tell them anything. I follow the regulations as I understand them which means no air shipping pressurized containers, ground only. Mainly I do this in case I have to make a claim. I don't want "rules" to get in the way of claims.

Printing your labels at home is a good idea, and it usually avoids any questions at the counter. The different shippers have different rules. The definitions of firearms and air guns is mostly immaterial, since we are dealing more with internal company policies, not state or Alphabet org regulation. For example, a franchise owned UPS store cannot accept air rifles, and they are specifically excluded in the franchise rules, they have to go to a company hub. If you buy insurance, then getting cute with how you misrepresent the contents may hurt you in the event of a claim. Whether to insure or not is your decision. The "insurance" sold by the shippers is really not that, but rather a guarantee of delivery. If the package is lost, or if damaged through negligence of the shipper, then you might have a claim. I usually just pack well and skip the insurance. If I wanted it, I'd buy real, third-party insurance coverage.

Yep, give the weight and dimensions of the package online, pay the $ and print the label.

I have never had any problems and it *seems* I got cheaper shipping, but I can't say that for sure. Although I am willing to bet that the "shipping" centers or store outlets charge some sort of fee that is included in the price. That's how the shipping companies pay them to have a presence in their store?

Reactions: SHOMER
I ship a lot of airguns through USPS and Fed-Ex. I will address the 2 shipping services separately. I print and ship the labels from home and have them picked up the same way:

1. USPS: Over the past year or so USPS has picked up their efforts in stopping illegal firearms trafficking which includes a lot of x-raying of packages. If an item I ship is flagged there may be a number of things that happen. 1. I get a call from the postmaster asking what it is. 2. The item is simply disposed of and tracking stops halfway through. 3. There is an unexpected delay in arrival. The most common is #2

2. Fed-Ex: I ship air rifles through Fed-ex....... locally they will not receive any package or box that indicates what the contents are with regards to firearms. They re applying the same standards on airguns to that of a real firearm.

What's going on here is that the Fed's are doing everything they can to stop the illegal transfer of firearms by circumventing an FFL

HK

Reactions: SHOMER