Airgun Scopes?

I've only recently returned to the fold. Now that I'm back, I've noticed a change in scope choices that most people are topping their guns with. When last I put glass on a rifle, I was in a camp filled with Burris, Bushnell, Leupold, Weaver, Vortex, Nikon, Zeiss, Swarovsky, and the like. Now I see lots of new names like Hawke, Element, ATN, and Athlon(are these guys really new to the game, or did I just not notice them back in the old days)? In fact, in virtually all of the airgun vids I've watched, and for sale by airgun dealers, I only see the newcomer scopes for sale for airguns. When did the switch come? It seems like these newcomers have pushed really hard to win the airgun market. Why don't the airgun retailers carry the old tried and true brands anymore?

I can relate to what the OP originally posted. For many years the go to scope in our family was the Leupold VX-ll. Relatively affordable and they have held up well in the inclement Pacific Northwest weather. Later I’ve had a few Burris and older Redfield added to the mix. Was never in the position to justify or afford a truly high end optic. 

Hawke scopes caught my eye a while back which eventually pointed me to a new world of air rifles. I’ve put a few of them on centerfire and rimfire guns as well as my air rifles, but haven’t had them long enough to give them the test of time and weather. So far, no issues though. 

Purchased my first first focal plane scope recently but haven’t put it on a gun yet so the jury is still out on that one. 

Recently ventured to try a Vortex and mounted one on my 308 a couple weeks ago. 

With the internet available it seems a lot easier to find information and reviews on different optics so one doesn’t have to go blindly into a purchase. 

John,

(1) many of the scope brands you mention in the OP are quite a bit more expensive than Discovery, Vector, Athlon, Hawke, etc.

(2) Many of them also do not consider the need of airgunners to shoot a very short ranges — so they fail to offer a 10-yard parallax.

(3) And many of these mfctr (even if they do have a short range parallax) do not offer us an evenly spaced holdoff reticle, but only duplex and plain crosshairs, or BDC reticles that are calibrated to common firearm cartridges — surely not to a 15.89gr JSB dome at 14 FPE...! 🤣

So, yeah, other manufacturers have seen the need to make scopes for us AG. And they're doing a great job. I just wished these would be Made in USA (but then I might not be able to afford them).

Matthias

PS: For a quick review of current brands, specs, and prices I'll attach a Scope Specs Table for airgun suitable scopes, with a magnification range of 4-16x, including 3-18x and 4-20x. The 80+ scopes in the table are mostly under $500, some higher though.

❌ Attachment:

download.png
View attachment SCOPE Specs Table. For 4-16x or 3-18x or 4-20x Scopes.1628803018.pdf

Bandg,

How well do the Hawkes compare to the higher end scopes you own in terms of resolution, choices of reticles, and overall quality control? Are the Hawkes easy to use with glasses on? In the past I’ve owned a Sightron and a Nikon both of which I sold due to poor resolution. I was really surprised that the Nikon was lacking as they make top notch photography lenses. My best bang for the buck scopes were the Weaver Grand Slams, but I don’t think they make those anymore. 

Who would put a Zeiss or Swarovsky on an air rifle? I have never seen these brands mentioned in reference to air rifles way overkill and not designed for the platform as others have mentioned. I love my UTG's 3x12x44 and 2x16x44 mildots for under $200 from there you can step up to Hawke or Athlon. I agree the Element line while very nice are pretty pricey and I question the need for most shooting situations. 

I just took advantage of the 6x24x50 FFP MOA Athlon Argos BTR for $250 on Amazon amazing scope for that price. Sure you can spend $500+ on a scope but do you really need to? Lots of great choices now in the $400 and under range that will work very well., 

In my opinion, a $500-$3,000 dollar airgun capable of 75yd squirrel/rat/rabbit/starling shot, deserves high end glass. I’m willing to pay 6 to 8 C notes for good glass. A good scope is a good scope. If it turns out one of the higher end scopes are overkill for a 22cal s410-no problem, I’ve got some Anschutz rim fires that I’m fixing to rescope anyway. I’d love to put a Leupold or Zeiss etc on my Anschutz 1720 22mag.

In my opinion, a $500-$3,000 dollar airgun capable of 75yd squirrel/rat/rabbit/starling shot, deserves high end glass. I’m willing to pay 6 to 8 C notes for good glass. A good scope is a good scope. If it turns out one of the higher end scopes are overkill for a 22cal s410-no problem, I’ve got some Anschutz rim fires that I’m fixing to rescope anyway. I’d love to put a Leupold or Zeiss etc on my Anschutz 1720 22mag.

I mean great you like high end glass nothing wrong with that but do you really need "high end" glass to shoot 75 yds? Personally I can hit stuff at 75 yds with PCP's all day long with "low end" ie under $300 glass just fine. In my case I don't think the glass makes any difference with my actual accuracy. I'd much rather put the investment in rifle not the glass but I hope you can get your dream scope. The ones you like are very nice for sure!

I mean great you like high end glass nothing wrong with that but do you really need "high end" glass to shoot 75 yds? Personally I can hit stuff at 75 yds with PCP's all day long with "low end" ie under $300 glass just fine. In my case I don't think the glass makes any difference with my actual accuracy. I'd much rather put the investment in rifle not the glass but I hope you can get your dream scope. The ones you like are very nice for sure!

I don't think anyone "needs" a high-end optic for an airgun. Just like they don't "need" a $2000 to $3000 PCP when some feel the same thing can be done with a $300 budget PCP. It's not about "need". Sometimes, people are willing to spend more to get what's considered the best in this hobby/sport. Nothing wrong with that just as long as each individual can justify it for themselves. The same thing goes for purchasing budget items in this hobby/sport.

Who “needs” a gun that shoots .25 moa if you are shooting squirrels at 50 yards? Anything past 1 minute of squirrel is just bragging rights anyway! If it were all just about “need,” I’d have a 500 sq ft house, 1 pair of shoes, 1 set of clothes, a bicycle, rice, beans, and water. Who “needs” filet mignon when you can get baloney for 1/10th the price? Who “needs” an 80 inch TV? It ain’t about “need” here. It’s about want. It’s about fun. For me all this airgun stuff is just about playing toys with friends. And I “need” friends more than I want guns, trucks, scopes, fishing gear, cameras, phones, etc. In fact, it was shooting that got me a good friend in the beginning. It was shooting that made being outdoors with my friend that really made life worth living. Ain’t none of these toys about need. They are my way of playing with my friends. I’ve always played well with others. 

Reactions: Peskådot671
Who “needs” a gun that shoots .25 moa if you are shooting squirrels at 50 yards? Anything past 1 minute of squirrel is just bragging rights anyway! If it were all just about “need,” I’d have a 500 sq ft house, 1 pair of shoes, 1 set of clothes, a bicycle, rice, beans, and water. Who “needs” filet mignon when you can get baloney for 1/10th the price? Who “needs” an 80 inch TV? It ain’t about “need” here. It’s about want. It’s about fun. For me all this airgun stuff is just about playing toys with friends. And I “need” friends more than I want guns, trucks, scopes, fishing gear, cameras, phones, etc. In fact, it was shooting that got me a good friend in the beginning. It was shooting that made being outdoors with my friend that really made life worth living. Ain’t none of these toys about need. They are my way of playing with my friends. I’ve always played well with others.

Yeah, most of us left “Need” behind a long time ago! This is about “Wants”, not “Needs”.

And I want a LOT of nice stuff….. Some of which I can even afford 😂

Newer brands like Element went full on marketing on the Internet. That's basically why every air channel on YT got one to show to their viewers. I personally think Element scopes are good but somewhat overpriced. You can get same quality scopes spending 2-300 bucks less if you are shopping older names like Vortex or Athlon.

I wouldn't say overpriced the Nexus equivalent is about 3-400$ more if bought from some of the big names. 1499 on optics planet, I think for the Nexus this isnt a bad price especially for the quality they are. 

AMEN!

+1 to you

Air Gun or Powder burner........who cares.......Sometimes you just do the research and use the best Tool for the application. A $2500.00 + Air gun Deserves a High end scope IMO!

Swarovski no Doubt has Austria Glass (no dog!). Kahles, a sister Co. uses same Glass however for me the Reticle the weight of scope and Glass for a Woods Walker ( * Short Range 20 to 70 yards) quick Reticle acquisition, off hand shots = No Brainer.. You might LQQK @: Kahles K 1-6x24 Day Light Bright illuminated SI1 Reticle Saddles on a Leshiy 2 .25 Semi Auto.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kahles+si1+reticle&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ALeKk0140oNe3mzVv6yr0S0n3w9v0hve5Q%3A1628969108452&ei=lBgYYYWLG8Ce0PEPkdCGMA&oq=Kales+Ki-6i+Si1+reticle&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYADIFCAAQzQIyBQgAEM0CMgUIABDNAjIFCAAQzQI6BwgAEEcQsAM6BQghEKsCSgQIQRgAUJIyWPJlYJqMAWgBcAF4AIABkQGIAbMFkgEDMC41mAEAoAEByAEIwAEB&sclient=gws-wizK

There are a lot of air rifle scopes to choose from and just as many opinions on which are best, good or not so good.

My advice is if you are planning to put a new scope on a spring gun, check with the manufacturer and make sure it is appropriate AND WARRANTIED for your application. Some scopes are rated for no more than moderate powered spring guns. If you are planning to purchase a scope used, absolutely check with the manufacture to make sure the scope is appropriate for your application AND to see if the warranty is transferable to a second owner (if that is important to you). If used, ask the seller what he/she had the scope mounted on and why they are selling it. Sometimes a seller discovered something he/she didn't like that you, as a buyer inexperienced with that particular scope, didn't think of.