Airgun restoration

Pale_Rider

Feb 16, 2019
US
I bought this FX Ranchero from the AOA pre-owned section. It was in rough condition and priced accordingly so I took a chance knowing I’d have to do some work to restore it. First thing I noticed was it held air and was mechanically sound except for a weak spring which held the cocking lever shut. Sweet! All I had to worry about was the cosmetics. The barrel shroud bluing had a pea sized blemish that I tried to touch up with cold blue but it didn’t turn out good so I stripped it down and bought some alumahyde. Took me a few tries to get a smooth coat of alumahyde. The brass parts had a good amount of patina that came off easily with some Brasso. Next I stripped the old finish off the grip, steamed out some dents and sanded it down. The factory finish was hiding some beautiful figuring in the wood. I didn’t even know it was Walnut! I was going to finish with tru-oil but wanted something that didn’t look cheap so I went with a few coats of Danish oil for a nice matte finish.

IMG_0176.jpeg

Share your airgun restoration projects!

I've got a well used Ranchero as well. Needs some love like this. Receiver has a number of marks here and there. The finish appears to be pretty thick and high gloss. I figured it was anodized?

Here's a brocock grand prix I fixed up a few yrs back. Of course I still have it. Came to me with some rust and pitting. I ended up fitting a contour stock to it and someone stole the pistol grip out of my storage. Was able to get Gary Cane to make a new grip for it from a shotgun blank.

1000007836.jpg
1000007837.jpg
1000007838.jpg

Lastly is the Ranchero I've been working on lately.

Kept an eye out for a .177 for a few yrs (most of my guns like the brocock are .22), and missed buying it the first time it sold. 2nd time, I got it. Also got very lucky finding an old Steve Corcoran stock. Both stocks need repair and refinishing. Something I've done before, and also prefer using danish oil. But life has had me super busy as of late.

1000007840.jpg
1000007839.jpg

I bought this FX Ranchero from the AOA pre-owned section. It was in rough condition and priced accordingly so I took a chance knowing I’d have to do some work to restore it. First thing I noticed was it held air and was mechanically sound except for a weak spring which held the cocking lever shut. Sweet! All I had to worry about was the cosmetics. The barrel shroud bluing had a pea sized blemish that I tried to touch up with cold blue but it didn’t turn out good so I stripped it down and bought some alumahyde. Took me a few tries to get a smooth coat of alumahyde. The brass parts had a good amount of patina that came off easily with some Brasso. Next I stripped the old finish off the grip, steamed out some dents and sanded it down. The factory finish was hiding some beautiful figuring in the wood. I didn’t even know it was Walnut! I was going to finish with tru-oil but wanted something that didn’t look cheap so I went with a few coats of Danish oil for a nice matte finish.

View attachment 453358

That looks great , nice work.

Reactions: Pale_Rider
Wow Pale-Rider what a nice surprise of beautiful figuring of wood when you stripped and refinished that piece. Wonderful restoration! Mine, in comparison, is very ho-hum. I used JM's RLO and knocked it down with rottenstone since, like you, I like a satin finish. My Ranchero is older and has the older SC carbine stock. Have a friend that has a later SC carbine stock that has a thumb up position and I like it more than mine but I'm not selling mine. Seems like there are a lot of posts about lightweight, short carbines but they seem to overlook these "OLD" designs like the Ranchero that have built in, on the fly, adjustability for velocity and incredible accuracy. My .22 caliber Ranchero loves the JSB 15.89 gr and 18.1 gr equally and accuracy, without twisting and turning knobs is stunning. Must assume that these are often overlooked because they are not the "flavor of the week".

ranchero pistol and carbine.png

ranchero pistol and carbine 2.png

View attachment 453358

Beautiful Work;).

Reactions: Pale_Rider
Now I want a Ranchero. 😂

I agree. They look timeless. First FX I have considered buying.
They are super sweet guns. If you get a chance, go for it. But should be noted they are BIG. I was kind of shocked when mine showed up. Here it is next my pcp 1322 @15.25" OAL. I think the fx is over 17" and a normal 13xx is something like 14.25 or so
DSCF6009_edited.jpg

Last edited: