• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airgun Pistol Suggestions?

Hello, I live out in a very isolated community in Alaska. I more than often have Grouse, Ptarmigan, Rabbits and Porcupine crossing my path. I am not looking for a Airgun rifle, I am more interested in a airgun pistol. They are usually in very close proximity and I would like to have a gun that wont spoil the meat. 

Any airgun pistol suggestions?

Thank You

My pistols I would recommend to you are PCP.

I really like My Benjamin Marauder Pisto in 22cal l, aka P-Rod. I have mine shooting fairly low power for close in pesting though. Power is adjustable but Not really sure if it can produce the power for a porcupine or not. Someone else may know and post. It is reasonably quiet in stock form as well. I use it in both pistol and carbine form with good results. It comes with the carbine stock that's use is optional.

I also have an Airforce Talonp in 25cal and it has some nuts. Loads of power, should have no trouble on the targets on your list.

It is pretty loud in stock form though. It can be quieted down with Donny FL or equivalent. I use this one in carbine form only.

Enjoy your time researching the right gun for you.

JT

Close range, co2 would have plenty of power, so a 2240 would be logical. I don't like co2, though, so a pcp would make more sense to me. The pcp pistol market is a bit vacant. but there are several good options. Most are expensive, however. I've got a few. 2 of them were quite cheap. $210 for the diana bandit and $185 for the pp800 (essentially the same gun)

Lot of work tuning various aspects of both, but they are both more accurate than any crosman pistol barrel I have used lately. (1322 and 2240)

Synthetic is 25 caliber 28fpe peak (unregulated) , wood is .177 7fpe (50 shots regulated) trigger is 16oz on 25 cal, 14oz on .177. Far cry from how they are from the factory.

1588552552_9861062305eaf636888fab8.45863714.jpg

Assuming you'd like a pistol easily carried, unfortunately a good Co2 pistol is not powerful enough in cool to cold conditions. Too bad. 

Spring-piston and single-stroke pneumatics are out; being not powerful enough and/or too large for comfortable carry.

That leaves the best choices being the smaller, lighter PCPs. Belying his forum handle, LongGunDallas NAILED IT!

My pistols I would recommend to you are PCP.

I really like My Benjamin Marauder Pisto in 22cal l, aka P-Rod. I have mine shooting fairly low power for close in pesting though. Power is adjustable but Not really sure if it can produce the power for a porcupine or not. Someone else may know and post. It is reasonably quiet in stock form as well. I use it in both pistol and carbine form with good results. It comes with the carbine stock that's use is optional.

I also have an Airforce Talonp in 25cal and it has some nuts. Loads of power, should have no trouble on the targets on your list.

It is pretty loud in stock form though. It can be quieted down with Donny FL or equivalent. I use this one in carbine form only.

Enjoy your time researching the right gun for you.

JT

+1 on the prod. I have no doubt in OEM condition, it can take a porcupine. Before my prod was cracked out, i was able to dispatch alot of racoons. Shot placement is key.

Also on the table is a 1322, put a light spring inside the valve and a 14" barrel on it, 9-10fpe is about "max" at 12 pumps without heavy mods/$$ . Not too far behind a OEM prod at 13~fpe.

Looks like that suggestion nailed it. I like these options, I will study more into these suggestions. Thank you all. Curious though, about the cold conditions and CO2. Where I live to get small game its in spring through fall the most. Our weather ranges between 70's to 110 where I live. Gets a bit colder in late fall. In that, any info about using them CO2 guns?

Co2 is the main difference. In cold environments it has a lower pressure, less power and shot count and gets worse the colder it is. 430 fps isnt alot to begin with as far as speed/power, barely enough for a squirrel up to maybe 5y away.

So if weather isnt a problem, any suggestions in regards to CO2 guns?

Im really not into co2 guns to give too much advise. Here in illions the weather is temperamental and i prefer consistenty between the whacky weather. I would sudjest a 2240/2400 and a 10-12" barrel in either .22 or .177 (14.5" .22 is what i use but its a little past pistol and its hpa). They shoot around 4-5fpe depending on QC(crosman is a huge hit/miss) and a slightly longer barrel would raise it a bit more to 7~ with c02. More aggressive mods (insead of just a barrel) can yield up to 11~ fpe before switching to hpa.....

This is with around 70-80° temperarures

Edit: i really have nothing else to sudjest since i havent shot alot of co2 guns besides the 2240, my mothers BB pistol(lmao), and an airsoft gun maybe 15 years ago before i knew anything about airguns.

I don't know much on the subject of airguns and BB guns in general. I guess I am a bit confused. What is the difference of effectiveness between the suggested guns and.. 

Sig Sauer M17 CO2 Air Pistol https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HWTQR7W/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_IK4REb9NDK79C

The Sig is an extremely weak co2 pistol shooting @ 430fps with a light .177 caliber pellet. So likely 3-4fpe at most. From what I have read it lacks the accuracy you require as well. If you build yourself a 2300KT, like a custom 2240, co2 pistol on the Crosman sight and add a 14 inch barrel then do some valve mods and add a stronger hammer spring or an adjuster you can get near 600fps with a 14.3gr pellet so 10-12 FPE @ 70 degrees which is enough to do most of what you wish. With a shorter barrel or lower temperature there is a good chance it will fall short in the power you need to consistently and humanely take the game you mention.

https://www.crosman.com/custom-shop/?base=2400ktb#

I would highly suggest a PCP pistol with at least 12fpe of power although more is better. But they will require a pump or tank to fill them at extra cost.

So Basically what Long_Gun_Dallas and Skeeeets said

I hear yuh, just to reiterate it is not cold for three of the seasons in the part of Alaska I live in. However that is a moot point. I guess I was looking for something compact, for when I am out in the bush on foot for an extended amount a time with a small pack. However for the power I need for small game I would need one of the options given forth to me here. Compact definitely will not be an option. However I think these gun suggestions will be great for when I am taking day trips to the bush. I like that it wont obliterate the meat. Seems like with a long barrel, even with a pistol, I might as well get a rifle.

There are, and have been for over a half-century very compact (in air pistols terms) Co2 pistols that can shoot through a jackrabbit at pistol ranges (25-35 yards). This 1960s vintage .22 Crosman 150 dropped this cottontail with a single offhand shot from 35 yards, and has zipped its 14.3 grain pellet at 450 FPS right through a jackrabbit's skull at 30 yards. It measures less than 9.5" long, and has averaged five-shot groups at 25 yards smaller than you'd believe! The current Crosman 2240 model possesses similar potentials.

1588622148_2954767395eb073445acdc7.86498832.JPG

As excerpted from Airgun Chronicles-

download.png
View attachment 1588622762_14108781345eb075aacd38c8.06714117.pdf

I've got a number of CO2 air pistols, with the 2240 14" barrel being my most capable (between 500-600 fps). It's loud but superbly accurate--custom shop made that I bought used. However, I won't expect it to do well in weather below 70*, unless you kept the gun inside until shooting. Now, I have a Hammerli 850 gen 1 CO2 rifle (.177) that shoots 625 -675 fps that regularly kills squirrels when I do my part and hit the head. My longest shot was just over 25 yards, nearly between the eyes. I would suggest that you look at the .22 or .25 calibers for bigger game. After learning with the .177, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a quality CO2 or a multi-pumper in a bigger caliber. When I joined the forum, I thought it was all about the higher FPS. Now, it's about the right tool for the job (grabbing the right gun), the best pellet, and hitting the best POA for the kill.

Let us know what you get. Enjoy!!!

Arch_E