• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airgun Moderators (The truth)

Dana...I don't live in USA and I don't have acess to the high level airguns and acessories you review, but I watch all your videos.... your videos are in a professional level and I apprecciate all your efforts in making these videos, they give me a lot of important information and I think to all airgun community too. Keep doing a nice job. Regards from Brazil.

This topic is a time bomb!! Using words like "best" or the "truth" is an opinion, and subjected to each persons results, If I don't agree with the results, of the presenter ,then I can come up with my own "best" or "truth", with my own test results. I appreciate someone that posts a topic to inform, or educate us newbies, BUT I also know that it is what THEY have determined , WITH THE INFORMATION AND DATA THEY HAVE COLLECTED. arguing on the very "term" to describe what to call a silencer ... " sound suppresser," "moderator," TELLS ME , that no one knows ... The correct term is silencer, but if you want to call it a duck, call it a duck, I don't care! As long as I can follow the topic of the post, and relate it to my needs and questions, DON'T HATE THE PLAYER , HATE THE GAME!! The same applies to the term "best" this or that and "the truth". read what the presenter has to say and make your own conclusions .

I dont like the crappy machine work in the threads of the Donnys as do many knowledgeable airgunners and honest dealers and machinists but they have a huge follower base. 

I respect Dana and his opinion since it's really not his fault that he doesn't know the truth yet and Donny products seem to work just fine for him so far.

Dana is a good guy.

Great video Dana. Anyone that’s watched your videos or knows you can see you’re honest in your reviews and certainly no *****. Keep up the good work!

I’ve had quite a few DonnyFL moderators, Sumo, Ronin, Tanto and my favorite, the Tatsu. All of them were high quality with excellent machine work. Over 20 guns that I’ve actually shot thousand of pellets through, not one instance of clipping or detrimental performance. I had a Ronin on my .30 FX Bobcat at EBR 2019 and did OK... And before someone pipes up and says I wouldn't recognize quality machine work if it bit me in the A$$, I'll let you know that I've been a nuclear engineer for over 40 years, and have more than just a clue regarding mechanical, electrical, and electronic assemblies and systems. ;)

I also like very much the Zero dB silencers and have one on my .22 Red Wolf HP (Bleu), and like the Silent Thunder Ordnance (STO). I have an STO Falx on my .25 Impact and also on my new .25 Delta Wolf. They work great and don’t hinder accuracy one bit.

@YoDoyle, I think it’s a bit passive aggressive to indirectly call Dana ignorant based on your opinion and touting your opinion as if it’s commonly known fact. Not cool... It’s almost like saying “he doesn’t realize the Earth is flat, but once he educates himself he’ll realize that obviously it is”.

Mike

Great video Dana. Anyone that’s watched your videos or knows you can see you’re honest in your reviews and certainly no *****. Keep up the good work!

I’ve had quite a few DonnyFL moderators, Sumo, Ronin, Tanto and my favorite, the Tatsu. All of them were high quality with excellent machine work. Over 20 guns that I’ve actually shot thousand of pellets through, not one instance of clipping or detrimental performance. I had a Ronin on my .30 FX Bobcat at EBR 2019 and did OK... And before someone pipes up and says I wouldn't recognize quality machine work if it bit me in the A$$, I'll let you know that I've been a nuclear engineer for over 40 years, and have more than just a clue regarding mechanical, electrical, and electronic assemblies and systems. ;)

I also like very much the Zero dB silencers and have one on my .22 Red Wolf HP (Bleu), and like the Silent Thunder Ordnance (STO). I have an STO Falx on my .25 Impact and also on my new .25 Delta Wolf. They work great and don’t hinder accuracy one bit.

@YoDoyle, I think it’s a bit passive aggressive to indirectly call Dana ignorant based on your opinion and touting your opinion as if it’s commonly known fact. Not cool... It’s almost like saying “he doesn’t realize the Earth is flat, but once he educates himself he’ll realize that obviously it is”.

Mike

I could not agree more..., especially as it relates to Dana’s videos.

A VAST majority like and benefit from your honest truthful reviews. More importantly, the time and effort expended shows in their quality. We need more Dana’s (and people like you) who can help us with this hobby and with AG videos and reviews.

I have several Donny’s and like them as well. Never had a clipping issue and very quiet. Not to mention Donny’s spectacular customer responsiveness and guidance. Also respect the other well known LDC manufacturers as well. 

261d.svg

THAT EDIT OF YOURS IS so awesome me mind just went completely blank for now...

Well, the good news here is that your mind didn’t have far to go. Just teasin’ but I could not resist.

Dayna, I have enjoyed watching your videos and learning the information that you present. Your production style seems to be getting better with each video. This particular one probably could have benefited from having a few more suppressors and a different scientific approach but I think with this type of thing if you give a good subjective opinion on the different options and results that would also go along way in helping to guide / educate people. Thanks again for the content and don’t let the negatives stop you from continuing. I would really enjoy going out there one day and doing a hunt and camp out with you.

fmetz

Thanks, have much more I want to do but this was a good start to future moderator videos.

Enjoyed the video. When you do your next moderator video don’t forget to include temp and elevation info. I know this is pretty geeky, but temp, elev, and humility will all play a part in sound registered at the dB gizmo. Even wind direction will play a part. Plus what the pellet hits near the sensor could affect the reading. Couldn’t tell where you were aiming..maybe purposely aim so the pellet impacts after the sound passes the recording device.

Great video Dana. I own a DonnyFL Shogun, and I won't shoot my Impact .30 without it. 

One thing I don't get is, for the first far test with 0DB on, the sound level increase from 92.8 to 97??

Thats why few don't realize how ineffective those meters are. They simply cannot pick up the frequency the ear can. A step up from worthless as a scientific device. Later I plan to get hold of a real testing device. This was more to show various styles and how they might add or subtract weight, length etc,

Unfortunately the time it takes to produce content can sometimes not even be worth it anymore. Most people think I make a fortune doing this, I gave up everything to pursue video and get very little return. Not sure what the future holds but will certainly try some new ideas.

Dana, I enjoy your laid back videos. Given the scenario for this video, there are so many variables in sound calculations it can bring out the armchair mathematicians and engineers much faster than other product evaluations. Not to mention the semantics fanatics. I would expect to get significant challenges for this video and so be it. At least you didn’t go the no risk route of going over the outside of an airgun with all positive comments then shoot some dime size 30yd and 50yd groups to be cannon fodder for the airgun video world. No pain no gain.

I don’t take what your data told you as gospel. It is good to put with the other information I gather. To hack out a place of integrity in this video world you are going to get some scars. You have to just keep coming and be relentless. Kind of like the stand up comedian with the hecklers. Remember the hecklers are maybe 1% of your paycheck.

Unfortunately the time it takes to produce content can sometimes not even be worth it anymore. Most people think I make a fortune doing this, I gave up everything to pursue video and get very little return. Not sure what the future holds but will certainly try some new ideas.

Dana, I enjoy your laid back videos. Given the scenario for this video, there are so many variables in sound calculations it can bring out the armchair mathematicians and engineers much faster than other product evaluations. Not to mention the semantics fanatics. I would expect to get significant challenges for this video and so be it. At least you didn’t go the no risk route of going over the outside of an airgun with all positive comments then shoot some dime size 30yd and 50yd groups to be cannon fodder for the airgun video world. No pain no gain.

I don’t take what your data told you as gospel. It is good to put with the other information I gather. To hack out a place of integrity in this video world you are going to get some scars. You have to just keep coming and be relentless. Kind of like the stand up comedian with the hecklers. Remember the hecklers are maybe 1% of your paycheck.

Thanks for the video! I have done a lot of research and seen tons of powder burner suppressor comparison videos. There is always talk about decibel meters not being accurate enough for peak gun shots ect. Also it is very hard for the sound on video to translate what is actually heard in real life. My understanding is decibel meters that are optimal for this kind of research run in the $25-30K range like a Pulse. Crazy Not even all the big industry players have access to these. It is also not all about the decibels as some products may read a higher decibel but have a more pleasant and lower tone to the shooters ear. Appreciate anyone putting in the work to bring the public helpful content.