• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airgun Moderators being Seized by US Customs?

Hi all, brand new here, first post. I ordered a Wolf Airgun mod for my Crosman 2240 in late April this year. Shipped from Poland and went through International USPS arrival in Miami on May 21. Nothing since... My understanding is if customs seizes something they send you a letter explaining what they seizedand why.its contraband along with a form with options that you can persue with Customs. I got nothing to this date, been too quiet. Maybe my tinfoil hat is a bit tight but I'm half expecting the 3 letter boys to show up.

I emailed Wolf and they told me that they were aware of only one of their mods being seized by US Customs since they started about 7 years ago. They also told me the mount for the can I ordered was specific only to the Crosman 2240 and the baffles are 3D printed plastic that they indicated "could be crushed between finger and thumb" so I doubt it would stand up to powder burner use. Thank God I own NO powder burners with threaded muzzles so a sigh of relief there too.

Just asking if anyone has had similar experiences with importied air gun mods being seized during the last year or so and how your situation resolved. Not ashamed to admit I'm a little nervous. Thanks for any feedback.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
I heard a couple of years ago the U.S. Customs was 'cracking down' and not allowing airgun moderators through. This was right about the time I had ordered an AA branded moderator (with male threads) for my S510 from a UK, if I recall correctly.

That order seemed 'delayed', and I never did receive it nor did I get any communication from anyone as to why I didn't.

I haven't heard anything specific since about Customs and airgun moderators, but I also stopped ordering them from OUS after that.

In the subsequent couple of years, I have received no visits or any communications from any of the alphabet organizations.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Best method to avoid customs...is to buy domestic product. I am simple like that.
Believe me.. Lesson learned. I picked up a DonnyFL Koi with 11mm adapter at a local air gun store in eastern Mass. Funny that, since firearm silencers are totally banned in Mass and they've had no issues at all selling airgun moderators. They also have a great indoor range but you have to use lead-free pellets on it.

Reactions: mh
It still doesn't seem right that they can just confiscate property you paid for without giving you notification with due process options.
More fear mongering.

They can't and they don't. Ask yourself which is more likely that a customs agent violated the law or that postal clerk stole a silencer or that the supply chain issues are delaying delivery?

If customs seized something because it was illegal there would have been a knock on your door.

Last edited:
More fear mongering.

They can't and they don't. Ask yourself which is more likely that a customs agent violated the law or that postal clerk stole a silencer or that the supply chain issues are delaying delivery?

If customs seized something because it was illegal there would have been a knock on your door.
The only update I can get on my delivery is from the USPS tracking number I got from Wolf Airguns. According to that it is being "pressed through customs" since May 21. If it cleared customs and was on a truck heading for me there would have been an update on the tracking status. I have no proof but I suspect it has been seized as contraband.

What you have is nothing. You have a piece of paper that says it's being worked through customs. Have you called customs? No. Have you called USPS? No.

But here you are suggesting that Customs has stolen your moderator even though the vendor has told you they have only had one seized in 7 years of operation?

I suggest that you do your homework before you spread fear uncertainty and doubt in a political environment where that can only end badly.

You have to remember what's been going on with the supply chain. What is most likely? A backlog at customs is most likely.

But you could certainly call them. I doubt very seriously they're going to come after you over a moderator made for an air gun that would turn into a hand grenade if it was attached to a rifle.

Hi all, brand new here, first post. I ordered a Wolf Airgun mod for my Crosman 2240 in late April this year. Shipped from Poland and went through International USPS arrival in Miami on May 21. Nothing since... My understanding is if customs seizes something they send you a letter explaining what they seizedand why.its contraband along with a form with options that you can persue with Customs. I got nothing to this date, been too quiet. Maybe my tinfoil hat is a bit tight but I'm half expecting the 3 letter boys to show up.

I emailed Wolf and they told me that they were aware of only one of their mods being seized by US Customs since they started about 7 years ago. They also told me the mount for the can I ordered was specific only to the Crosman 2240 and the baffles are 3D printed plastic that they indicated "could be crushed between finger and thumb" so I doubt it would stand up to powder burner use. Thank God I own NO powder burners with threaded muzzles so a sigh of relief there too.

Just asking if anyone has had similar experiences with importied air gun mods being seized during the last year or so and how your situation resolved. Not ashamed to admit I'm a little nervous. Thanks for any feedback.
Yes my barrel was in customs for 14 days then finally to me , just wait .

The only update I can get on my delivery is from the USPS tracking number I got from Wolf Airguns. According to that it is being "pressed through customs" since May 21. If it cleared customs and was on a truck heading for me there would have been an update on the tracking status. I have no proof but I suspect it has been seized as contraband.
Mine was delayed 14 days , no notice it arrived at my door USPS 21 days total time

Sorry this is incorrect. I can't discuss but they have and do
OK, if Customs finds it necessary to seize something in the course of an ongoing investigation, yes. Yes, then they can seize it and not say anything to the person who owns that property UNTIL that investigation is complete, at which point they have a requirement to notify the owner of that property. Unless of course they have indicted that person in the course of the investigation. Something tells me that is not likely the case in this particular situation, but hey, I could be wrong.

As for what you personally can discuss, the only thing you "can't discuss" is classified information or information pertaining to an ongoing investigation. So I guess you are speaking from your "classified experience" or you are under investigation? I don't accept the "if I told you I'd have to kill you" excuse for not revealing sources and references. I much prefer the "if I told you they would kill me excuse", which is it? ;)

Section 921 Title 18 the definition of a "silencer"

(24)
The terms “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Note the liberal application of the term "firearm". Also note the use of the term "intended ONLY". I suspect that is why they call Title 18 the National Firearms Act, what do you think?

Again when dealing with a situation like his, the best thing to do is consider the situation and the facts you have rather than assuming the worst initially. ; And AGAIN that is particularly prescient in our current political climate where assuming the worst about things could easily lead to really unpleasant outcomes.

The supply chain has been disrupted for two years now. There is a war in central Europe. Air transport and shipping has been severely disrupted principally by the resignation of large numbers of pilots due to mandatory vaccination policies. The device was likely shipped surface mail. The Chinese own 8 out of 9 shipping companies and are charging ten times as much to transport from Europe to the USA than from Asia to the USA. Finally the political climate is very poor and it is likely there is a backlog at customs because of that.

So, unless the OP wants to contact Customs and inquire about the item or contact USPS and inquire there, the best policy is probably to assume that nobody in Customs stole (or confiscated in the course of an investigation) his airgun moderator UNLESS the first rule applies... "Don't attribute to malice, what simple incompetence will explain." That is entirely possible. If that is the case, they will figure it out and he will receive his moderator in due course.

Relevant links:
"What is regulated?"
https://www.Alphabet org.gov/firearms/qa/which-firearms-are-regulated-under-nfa
"Definition of a Silencer" -- Section 24

Last edited:
Again when dealing with a situation like his, the best thing to do is consider the situation and the facts you have rather than assuming the worst initially. ; And AGAIN that is particularly prescient in our current political climate where assuming the worst about things could easily lead to really unpleasant outcomes.

The supply chain has been disrupted for two years now. There is a war in central Europe. Air transport and shipping has been severely disrupted principally by the resignation of large numbers of pilots due to mandatory vaccination policies. The device was likely shipped surface mail. The Chinese own 8 out of 9 shipping companies and are charging ten times as much to transport from Europe to the USA than from Asia to the USA. Finally the political climate is very poor and it is likely there is a backlog at customs because of that.

So, unless the OP wants to contact Customs and inquire about the item or contact USPS and inquire there, the best policy is probably to assume that nobody in Customs stole (or confiscated in the course of an investigation) his airgun moderator UNLESS the first rule applies... "Don't attribute to malice, what simple incompetence will explain." That is entirely possible. If that is the case, they will figure it out and he will receive his moderator in due course.
I am aware from another site forum of someone who had an airgun mod seized by customs in late 2020. He received a letter of seizure from customs, posted images of it on the forum, and asked advise which option he should check off. The general response was don't ask legal advise from a bunch of yahoos. He later indicated that he ignored the letter and nothing has come of it as of 18 months later.

My mod was shipped air. seven days from Warsaw to Miami, doubt that was a boat. It's been in customs since May 21 in Miami (as far as I know).

I have to agree with you for now that it's either a customs staffing/backlog/screw up issue or they actually seized it and just haven't send the letter yet. Either way I don't think following up will yield any new data, gonna sit tight for now.

The general response was don't ask legal advise from a bunch of yahoos.
Good advice.

Sounds a bit like the LEA was fishing for proof that the person who imported that item was the person the item was shipped too, doesn't it?

Do you recall who he purchased from and what model they seized? Items intended for dual use are clearly prohibited.

Can you link the picture?

Here is the photo of the form from that other site's forum that I mentioned. The OP over there indicated he bought an over muzzle can for a Benjamin 392. It was from Wolf Airguns, same place I ordered mine from.
CBP seizure form.jpg

Here is the photo of the form from that other site's forum that I mentioned. The OP over there indicated he bought an over muzzle can for a Benjamin 392. It was from Wolf Airguns, same place I ordered mine from.View attachment 272413
That's great but it doesn't answer the question. Every situation is different in the law. Now wolf told you that only one had ever been seized in 7 years if they were correct that's the one isn't it? Does wolf also sell moderators for firearms? Does wolf also sell dual use moderators?

Apparently the picture of the one that they seized is no longer available?

Well either way, good luck on the problem. Hope things work out for you.

I wish Customs and BATF would give us more clear advice on this. All we can do at this point is read the law the best we can.

Last edited: