Airgun Moderator Materials?

I've had great luck with the Huma suppressors. The bodies, and the main part of the guts are also, made of aluminum. The M30 is good for either low fps, or .177 cal. The M40 works very well for the .22 cal. I know for at least in the high 800fps range. Don't know how they work for faster pellets.

The nice thing about the Huma's, is that they are segmented. That is you can use a single segment, or use 5 segments if you like for a quieter shot. They even have a larger M50 (diameter) to try. I have not tried the M50...yet.

https://www.trenieroutdoors.com/gear/airgun-moderators/airgun-moderators-3/huma-air-airgun-moderators/

Mike

I’m looking for a mod with aluminum, steel, titanium, etc tube. What’s out there? Hopefully everything isn’t plastic. Thanks!

P

Why?

There is no need for metal to make a good moderator/silencer for an airgun since there is no heat involved, only air pressure. Even with the higher caliber airguns.

Still wondering why you want to cut a HW50 barrel down to 8 inches?

Yes, you WILL need a silencer/moderator (depending on what you intend to do with it) with that short of a barrel, but I still wonder what your reasoning is for doing this in the first place?

There are plenty of moderators out there mostly aluminum, composite and carbon fiber. Most werq very well. 

STO has made some composite and carbon fiber units with metal threads that will take much more fpe. 

I run one of them at 74fpe and it has many thousands of round through it thus far without fail. 

A couple of others, here on the forum have had a failure with the same unit though.

I made this one out of a composite baffle I found and a piece of carbon fiber tube. It werqs well on my .22 Impact. But I do keep the power tuned down even though it will likely take much more it is small so I expect it would not quiet things down as well.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/inexpensive-nice-diy-cf-moderator/?referrer=1

There are plenty of them out there mostly aluminum, composite and carbon fiber. Most werq very well. 

STO has made some composite and carbon fiber units with metal threads that will take much more fpe. 

I run one of them at 74fpe and it has many thousands of round through it thus far without fail. 

A couple of others, here on the forum have had a failure with the same unit though.

I made this one out of a composite baffle I found and a piece of carbon fiber tube. It werqs well on my .22 Impact. But I do keep the power tuned down even though it will likely take much more it is small so I expect it would not quiet things down as well.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/inexpensive-nice-diy-cf-moderator/?referrer=1

Again, I am just curious. Why "werq" or "werqs"? Is work a curse word? Yeah, I know it is a 4 letter word, but so is werq! LOL!

Yup after I had to retire from work, due to an assault that resulted in some serious permanent damage. It became a curse word so it's always werq to me now cuz I don't like to curse. ;^)

"Cuz" instead of because cuz it's shorter and "probly" instead of probably cuz that is the way it should be spelled? ;^) Not to formal with my internet language.

There are plenty of moderators out there mostly aluminum, composite and carbon fiber. Most werq very well. 

I want to replicate that rifle. If you watch the video, they are using the moderator for cocking leverage. That's why it must be metal, to hold up to this, you'll need the leverage. I spoke to the folks at Sandwell, they do this regularly with good results as long as there is sufficient threading and a metal moderator is used.

P

Yup after I had to retire from work, due to an assault that resulted in some serious permanent damage. It became a curse word so it's always werq to me now cuz I don't like to curse. ;^)

"Cuz" instead of because cuz it's shorter and "probly" instead of probably cuz that is the way it should be spelled? ;^) Not to formal with my internet language.

Okay. Can I assume you are posting from a cell phone? Otherwise, I see no reason not to use English without the cellphone texting shortcuts.

No problem. I understand you, but think you are going to extremes to be obscure, to the point of being "cutesy". (chuckle/shoulder shrug)

JMHO and no offense intended.

Took me awhile to figure out what you were doing. Yup you will need a very strong one to use it as a cocking handle on that short of a break barrel. Steel would probly be best.

I have a steel air stripper on my Diana 45 in .177 it helps a little with the leverage when cocking. The action makes much more noise than the gun firing. 

Of course with an 8 inch barrel it would be a a bit different. It will need to be really built and also moderate a bit of sound as well.

I wish you luck finding what you need.