Airgun Learnings and Advice - Daystate Huntsman

So you are thinking about getting your first “high-end” air rifle…?

I thought I’d share with you some of my experience… and advice.

I own FX (Maverick & Dreamline), Daystate, RTI, Benjamin, Umarex, Beeman and Weihrauch rifles.

I have access to a machine shop and have fabricated parts, modified and polished triggers, added regulators, modified hammer springs and valves, polished barrels, bolts, triggers, transfer ports. I’ve stripped and refinished stocks. I’ve made moderators and modified them. I’ve even worked on both hand pumps and compressors. In short, I’ve spent lots of time “tuning” and modifying air rifles… except one.

The one rifle I have not touched is my Daystate Huntsman .22. It is unregulated. It is pretty. It is perfectly balanced. It is short, lightweight and easy to carry. I screwed on a small moderator. That’s it. I have not even adjusted the trigger pull weight (11 ounces). I simply took it out of the box and shot it - always with JSB 15.89g pellets. I’ve had the rifle for a year.

Yesterday, I filled her to 250 bar and fired off 60 shots. Attached are the shot string and picture of the 6 ten-shot groups.

Advice:

If you are going to own one rifle that does everything, this is my recommendation.

Learnings:

You will note that at 40 yards distance (121.16 feet - measured with a green laser accurate within 2 millimeters @ 100 yards), all ten-shot groups fit within a US dime (I pulled one shot) - and I’m just firing off groups, not “super aiming”, lol. Pellets are not weighed - straight from the tin. These 6 groups are typical - I’ve had some outstanding ones in the past - but these are typical of how the gun always shoots.

You will also note that at 40 yards, the point of impact did not change over the 45 fps spread of the unregulated shot string. I didn’t touch the scope or change my point of aim between shots/groups. Notice that PoI did not rise or drop noticeably over the 60 shots at 40 yards.

The Huntsman is only 42” long - WITH the moderator. It has a shrouded barrel and is backyard quiet with a small moderator. It is shooting with 27-28 foot pounds of power. This is enough to shoot any bird, rat, squirrel, rabbit, groundhog or skunk. The nice size, weight and ergonomics make it an easy gun to shoot accurately.

So ask yourself, what is your use case for a pellet gun…? If you need a gun that can put every shot within a dime out to 50 yards - with enough power for small game - with great ergonomics… and that requires NO TUNING - just take it out of the box and shoot it… then the Daystate Huntsman could be your 1st choice.

A key learning for me is that guns with infinite adjustments, multiple regulators and 50+ o-rings offer no real advantage for a typical pellet gun use-case - which is to shoot stuff accurately out to 50 yards. I’ll bet my Huntsman could do pretty well even at 100 yards - if I’m able to do my part.

I don’t work for Daystate, lol. I even own another gun that I believe is more accurate (RTI Prophet Performance). Just offering the benefit of my experience if you are looking for a simple, accurate, reliable higher-end rifle.

53C6CFAB-1C78-4D55-9670-4F963CF5DFF3.jpeg

141566D1-38B9-4E6A-A9C4-E9DDBB9FA47C.jpeg

AE900F4D-2D34-47E6-B85A-020FD1751661.jpeg

E7F876A7-8EEF-40D5-A03F-3166F022D4F5.jpeg

1B5B5C40-AAB9-4768-B9C6-B1F240E82E8C.jpeg

So you are thinking about getting your first “high-end” air rifle…?

I thought I’d share with you some of my experience… and advice.

I own FX (Maverick & Dreamline), Daystate, RTI, Benjamin, Umarex, Beeman and Weihrauch rifles.

I have access to a machine shop and have fabricated parts, modified and polished triggers, added regulators, modified hammer springs and valves, polished barrels, bolts, triggers, transfer ports. I’ve stripped and refinished stocks. I’ve made moderators and modified them. I’ve even worked on both hand pumps and compressors. In short, I’ve spent lots of time “tuning” and modifying air rifles… except one.

The one rifle I have not touched is my Daystate Huntsman .22. It is unregulated. It is pretty. It is perfectly balanced. It is short, lightweight and easy to carry. I screwed on a small moderator. That’s it. I have not even adjusted the trigger pull weight (11 ounces). I simply took it out of the box and shot it - always with JSB 15.89g pellets. I’ve had the rifle for a year.

Yesterday, I filled her to 250 bar and fired off 60 shots. Attached are the shot string and picture of the 6 ten-shot groups.

Advice:

If you are going to own one rifle that does everything, this is my recommendation.

Learnings:

You will note that at 40 yards distance (121.16 feet - measured with a green laser accurate within 2 millimeters @ 100 yards), all ten-shot groups fit within a US dime (I pulled one shot) - and I’m just firing off groups, not “super aiming”, lol. Pellets are not weighed - straight from the tin. These 6 groups are typical - I’ve had some outstanding ones in the past - but these are typical of how the gun always shoots.

You will also note that at 40 yards, the point of impact did not change over the 45 fps spread of the unregulated shot string. I didn’t touch the scope or change my point of aim between shots/groups. Notice that PoI did not rise or drop noticeably over the 60 shots at 40 yards.

The Huntsman is only 42” long - WITH the moderator. It has a shrouded barrel and is backyard quiet with a small moderator. It is shooting with 27-28 foot pounds of power. This is enough to shoot any bird, rat, squirrel, rabbit, groundhog or skunk. The nice size, weight and ergonomics make it an easy gun to shoot accurately.

So ask yourself, what is your use case for a pellet gun…? If you need a gun that can put every shot within a dime out to 50 yards - with enough power for small game - with great ergonomics… and that requires NO TUNING - just take it out of the box and shoot it… then the Daystate Huntsman could be your 1st choice.

A key learning for me is that guns with infinite adjustments, multiple regulators and 50+ o-rings offer no real advantage for a typical pellet gun use-case - which is to shoot stuff accurately out to 50 yards. I’ll bet my Huntsman could do pretty well even at 100 yards - if I’m able to do my part.

I don’t work for Daystate, lol. I even own another gun that I believe is more accurate (RTI Prophet Performance). Just offering the benefit of my experience if you are looking for a simple, accurate, reliable higher-end rifle.

View attachment 295825

View attachment 295826

View attachment 295827

View attachment 295828

View attachment 295829
Nice setup and great shooting. I am frequently thinking about my first true high end PCP and a Daystate has always been on my finalist list. Mainly because of the traditional aesthetics. I might go for the Revere. The JSB Jumbos as well as the H&N field target trophies are my favorite pellets across all my air guns, .17 & .22's. Regards

Reactions: mh
IMHO the Huntsman falls into that category (Daystate Huntsman, AA 510, Tai Pan Vet, FX Royale platform, etc.) of simplistic, dependable, GREAT SHOOTING rifles STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!!! With all the hype these days about tunability, changing calibers, shooting slugs, etc. solid, simple, accurate guns like these get overlooked by, especially, a lot of newbs getting into PCP's. Their dependability, consistency, low maintenance & accuracy are second to none. Too many people get swayed by marketing hype for the "latest & greatest" & never give these tried and true platforms a chance. My ultimate goal of accuracy & repeatability was met on the day I first shot mine & years later I'm STILL blown away that nothing has changed! I can't shoot slugs with my guns (Original Smooth Twist barrels) but I couldn't care less. 178 yard kills (my personal best) with a pellet rifle is fine with me & leaves me wanting for nothing more. The companies that make these types aren't doing themselves (or us) any favors by not continuing to actively market them.

IMHO the Huntsman falls into that category (Daystate Huntsman, AA 510, Tai Pan Vet, FX Royale platform, etc.) of simplistic, dependable, GREAT SHOOTING rifles STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!!! With all the hype these days about tunability, changing calibers, shooting slugs, etc. solid, simple, accurate guns like these get overlooked by, especially, a lot of newbs getting into PCP's. Their dependability, consistency, low maintenance & accuracy are second to none. Too many people get swayed by marketing hype for the "latest & greatest" & never give these tried and true platforms a chance. My ultimate goal of accuracy & repeatability was met on the day I first shot mine & years later I'm STILL blown away that nothing has changed! I can't shoot slugs with my guns (Original Smooth Twist barrels) but I couldn't care less. 178 yard kills (my personal best) with a pellet rifle is fine with me & leaves me wanting for nothing more. The companies that make these types aren't doing themselves (or us) any favors by not continuing to actively market them.
A high end pellet-only gun/barrel is fine for me. Only have 100 yards at the gun club.

You can never go wrong with the Huntsman series in .177 or .22 calibers. The only negative people complained about was the stiffer cocking towards the last part of the cycle on the Regal XL with the bolt action. The Revere with the side lever solved this. I still have my Regal XL (non-regulated) in .22 and don't plan to get rid of it. Great airguns out of the box!

The Daystate Revere became my first choice after some 14 years absence in airguns. Wanted to start all over and did my research for quiet some time. Concluded the Daystate Huntsman was a timeproven system. Its not a tinkers gun that needs daily services and updates to function. It use one barrel for all pellets and slugs. Its lightweight and pretty. Its a classic now that won`t be outdated after 1-2 years.

Great write up. When I was still racing RC I remember watching as the cars became more and more adjustable and 90% of the racers didn’t understand how the adjustments would affect their setup. End up with a terrible handling car. Suspect it’s similar with some air guns. I sure wouldn’t know what to do with one LOL. I have a Walther Maximathor in .22 that I love for just what you described. Sadly no longer made and parts are hard to get. Have been telling my wife she should try a Daystate Huntsman. Going to show her your post!

The only negative on the Revere Huntsman line is the darn probe for filling instead of a male Foster fitting. Lots of other quality guns use probes too but I hate them.

I've had two and also the larger Daystates, I think they're nearly perfect and very nice to handle weight and size wise. In hindsight the regular old-fashioned bolt action and lack of regulator is more desirable (ie better value since they sell for cheap) than the later more expensive side lever regulated guns (although those work well too). Nothing wrong with the bolt except for the fugly shape.

Very nice groups.

What is the SWP of your Regal? My unregulated DS Regal .177 cal has an SWP of 210 bar. I've noticed a "Bell Curve"-like shot-string when I fill to 250 bar.
However, my regulated Huntsman Revere .22 cal has an SWP of 250 bar.
These are awesome air rifles.
Huntsman revere 22 cal is a squirrel hunters dream. Grab and go easy handling rifle and deadly accurate

Reactions: bamavet55 and mh
There is a used one in the classifieds for $500. I’ve just bought two in the last couple months, or I would buy that one.
So many guns, not enough money.
When you can buy a Huntsman for less money than a Marauder - even if it's used, there is really no question!!! I have two HRXL's and a Harrier SE - an older ancestor to the Huntsman. All lefties. I've considered looking for one in .177 but I would have to sell my Scorpion SE .177, which is itself a fine rifle.

Reactions: mh and Struckat