Airgun items you would never by used...... Curious to hear your thoughts.

Just had this thought - I'm pretty open to buying used parts from the forum here and even on eBay if I'm feeling comfortable with the item for sale.

But there are just some things I would never buy used - the primary one which comes to mind is a PCP Compressor. There's just no way to know how long how many hours on them, how hard they've been pushed, if they've been properly bleed to get water out, if the insides are all gunked up, etc. Unless someone is willing to accept bottom dollar for a used compressor I would never take the risk.

A for example (and please note I am not saying this member abused the compressor in any way, but how would you know) is the Omega Trailcharger for sale for $800 at 6 months old. No mention of how many hours, no mention if it was used to fill guns or larger bottles. I wouldn't pay more than $400-450 for that compressor and I feel others share that opinion as it's been renewed two times.

Other things like airguns, scopes, ammo, accessories I am okay with after doing my due diligence.

What items would you not buy used?

In all seriousness I would say buying a used compressor would be a poor mistake, not a fan of used scopes either. These are just two items I've had a bad experience with in the past. I don't buy used guns without either knowing the person selling it or shooting it beforehand. The last thing I want is to pay for someone else's headache.

I would gladly buy a used Bauer Poseidon PE 100 compressor for the right price - after inspection and test run that is..
Its hard to destroy a quality item - same goes for a used Leshiy Classic or L2

Actually I'm er perfectionist with most things, I hate to make the first scratch - buying something pre-scrached takes that worry out the equation...

Reactions: beerthief
I think I paid about $830 for my Trail Charger (new) about a year ago. And as you mention, a pump is one of the things I'd be more hesitant to buy used, since I'm only confident in doing the most basic repairs myself, and otherwise it's pretty much a sadly disposable item.

At least a Trail Charger (in my experience) can put in the work and at 6 months it should be almost "as new" if it hasn't been abused somehow.

But I also think if you don't want to pay what someone is asking it's better to just ignore it unless you want to make an offer. We all have different financial situations, reasons for selling, etc. In the spirit of community we probably don't need to keep making these threads that criticize an item/price/etc in the classifieds. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I’ll buy anything airgun related if used, from a well known trusted person. Several friends made on forums over 15 years. I kind of know who knows what quality, precision capable, excellent condition, actually mean.
As far as certain items from unknowns? If I want a tack driving compact (which I do) I would avoid buying a airgun with no warranty. Edit: I also came here thinking I might ask about AEA Sparrow or HP. Now something priced right that is only expected to hold a 1” 5 shot at 40, yeah I might buy used.

Reactions: Jlowe
I would never buy used pellets.
Yeah! And used targets either!!

All kidding aside, I don’t think I’ll ever buy a used scope again(unless I know the person very well) as the two I bought used I had to send back and thank goodness they were Athlons cause Athlon replaced them for brand new.

I agree with buying guns that were home brew tuned. I often wonder about folks that tell all what they’ve done on an open forum, doing this and doing that, constantly in and out of their guns, in the quest for big power, then one day decide to put it up for sale. I myself would steer away from that but that’s me.

I worry more of parts I’ll need to replace because of stripped threads where important fasteners go on, cross threading of fasteners, or even just as bad, allen sockets badly rounded off.

Reactions: ButchS
If its it used, you are buying at a discount knowing the risk so why complain about it? If you complain about used items, don't buy them used. Not hard. As for the used compressor, its easy to rebuild them. Most just need tear down, cleaning and replacing o rings. If its too hard for you to do, then buy new. Also doesn't matter if new or used, sooner or later its gonna need a tear down and rebuild. So anyone into pcp should be able to have the knowledge and skills to rebuild their pcp.