• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airgun Hunting in Texas

Having lived 63 of my 65 years in Texas and had several encounters with law enforcement (enough to form some opinions), only one encounter was with Texas game wardens. Two rolled up on me in the 1980s while I was sniping grackles with an FWB 124 during a break from slow fishing on a stock tank. Upon realizing I was a harmless airgun weirdo, they pointed to a grackle on a high-line wire at about 100 yards and said, "Can you hit that?" 

Since it would be an offhand shot with a 12 foot-pound springer, though I'd captured several State Champion titles and National Record certificates in (offhand) airgun silhouette competition, I replied simply, "NO". Of course they said, "Well, try." I missed, and offered to let then try the 124; but they declined.

I just used that long-ass story to work (the long way) around to speculating maybe half the game wardens you'd encounter in the field could recite (accurately) the legal airgun caliber and power parameters, about half of them wouldn't take your word for it if the gun was the minimum caliber, and NONE of the remaining would be equipped to check the velocity/energy. Sounds like pretty good odds, you say? Not necessarily.

I guarantee you that 100% of them would JACK with you in any way they could if you act like a dick, and make you wish you hadn't! Bottom line(s)-

Unless they prove undeserving at word go, I respect hell out of law enforcement and make that obvious from the get-go. Being only human, they have good and bad days, prejudices, each his own level of competence (and yes, incompetence), and respond more or less as other humans do. Big difference is they are truly empowered to reward you with a very bad day if you deserve it.

FWIW, I've found Texas game wardens and DPS officers not only very professional and fair, but actually possessing of senses of humor. That said, I've also found humor can be an excellent ice-breaker in law-enforcement encounters, having used it (more than once) to earn a walk-away from what could have been some level of incarceration(s) and/or fine(s).

I guarantee you that 100% of them would JACK with you in any way they could if you act like a dick, and make you wish you hadn't! Bottom line(s)-

Unless they prove undeserving at word go, I respect hell out of law enforcement and make that obvious from the get-go. Being only human, they have good and bad days, prejudices, each his own level of competence (and yes, incompetence), and respond more or less as other humans do. Big difference is they are truly empowered to reward you with a very bad day if you deserve it.

FWIW, I've found Texas game wardens and DPS officers not only very professional and fair, but actually possessing of senses of humor. That said, I've also found humor can be an excellent ice-breaker in law-enforcement encounters, having used it (more than once) to earn a walk-away from what could have been some level of incarceration(s) and/or fine(s).

😂

Laughing only because it's true!!

I spent 26 years on patrol. The best way people got away without paper was if they could make me smile or laugh. Some people were just naturals at it and others were try-hards. Either way if they were decent and/or friendly and/or funny, chances are we both walked away happy.

Thanks guys for the responses. I am not a rabble rouser, and would always treat these officers with the utmost respect. That being said, I seem to lose my sense of humor in the presence of law enforcement. I guess until I can ask one personally or the law gets old enough to produce some feedback I will venture forth wondering if I will be the first encounter I know of. I have measured the performance of my .45 cal and it can produce one shot at 230ft. lbs and the next is slightly below the required 215, but I carry an air tank with me and so I don't think I really have a problem. At least I have a plan and that may be enough to be okay in a field check. 

Pre-charged pneumatic air guns must fire a projectile of at least 30 caliber in diameter and at least 150 grains in weight with a minimum muzzle velocity of 800 feet per second

or any combination of bullet weight and muzzle velocity that produces muzzle energy of at least 215 foot pounds of energy.

The "or" includes all calibers of .30 and above is the intention of the statement.