• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Airgun Depot's Long Rangers

cturek, you're good in my book for sure. Good luck to you on 175 as it'll be a challenge. I see from your vid you're dealing with some good wind. Do you have heavier pellets to try? Admittedly I had a time of it whilst using the lighter pellets. The wind handed my arse to me. 

Eventually anyone can get this done given enough time. Even the joked about Daisy Red Ryder maybe if you aim at the sun and pray for a far enough rainbow drop. Like I was telling my wife, anybody can get a hole in one at the golf course if they've got 123 hours to spare. Eventually they're gonna sink that shot. And to those that do take 257 shots or more to accomplish this task here, I applaud them for putting in the time and effort! I also agree a hit is a hit. I think it was Haji's buddy who hit the ball but didn't expode it so he kept on until he did. I say that qualified as a done deal, although it's appreciated he followed through till he got that explosion.

Props to everyone.

Cturek, 

Your completely correct, each yard past 100, or so, gets exponentially more difficult. Some of us are not going to be cable of readily doing it at 200 with the equipment we got. We are either going to run out of air, elevation dots, magnification, regulator's capabilities, camera battery...ect, before we land one.

For example, a my Bulldog is not particularly known for great accracy. When I first got it, I was shooting 5-6 inch group at 50 yards. After a number of mods, pellets, better scope, I'm now at 1.5" @50yards; 3.25 @ 100. I know with a few more upgrades my 100 yards could be just under 3 inches. That would be max for this guns capabilities.

Now, that 2.9" at 100 yards would exponentially grow to... let's say 3.5x's to almost 11 inches dia circle @ 200. To carpet bomb almost a foot target with pellets to hit a golf ball, will take a very long time.
Now, if we all had sub MOA rifles .75" @ 100 yards; (maybe a pimped-out FX Impact) that is only a 2.65" dia circle to carpet bomb and get on film. Easy!

My earlier post was written in the only way I knew to question something with out it being personal, I wrote that it was not a personal attack but rather a questioning of what good operational parameters are if they are up to personal interpretation. If I see a video of someone hitting a US dime hanging from a string at 150-Yards, that is one heck of shot and there is no denying that but that US Dime shot does not qualify for anything other than "One Heck Of A Shot!".

It was suggested that I am applying my own personal filter to this topic and that is just not the case. The understand of the print rules that were in the packaging of a previous purchase or the website (see below)

uh4MBFE.png

I did not write these rules but to me, it is clear that item #1 and item #5 are in fact referring to the "official Airgun Depot Exploding Golf Ball", my point in the previous post was pointing out that the rules which define the parameters in which we, the participants must follow, in some cases were not. The 150-yard one shot, one hit is awesome and I am sure I recognized that previously.

The first line of my previous post stated that agonized of writing anything and this is the reason why. In the grand scheme of things a pellet hitting a normal golf ball or an exploding golf ball take the same skill and talent, no question, but when a "challenge" defines how and what the participants must execute in order to qualify, it is not a "personal filter" issue. To make this personal is not what I wanted to do and I regret voicing my concerns to trying to stop the erosion or degradation predefined operational parameters. I have in good faith submitted 150, 175 and 200-yard shots so this is not to gain some advantage but to simply question the system.

To anyone or all that I offended, I apologize and look forward to your submission videos. Good luck to you and shoot safe!

Hajimoto

Deleted because of a disagreement on the point of the law! I may make mistakes but I am no LIAR as I was called several post below!

Edit: John sorry you believe that defacing US coinage that is in circulation is allowed and legal but I believe you are wrong sir! It IS a Criminal act! 

What you posted from law says exactly that it is a Crime!

Thurmond

Haji is NOT being a prude. He's absolutely right. Erosion of the rules is spot-on. I know he went to painstaking measures as did I to follow rules. I see a few "violations" of the rules for sure in the vids allowed on the trophy wall at AGD that they allowed a pass on. It happens and they don't want to come out looking like prudes either. But taking a few precautions will help keep things running fluidly for most. One example is that for myself, I chose to purchase 2 balls and then put in the code for the 3rd free. I felt I'd either do all 3 yard ranges or have a spare in case something should go not according to plan. Not to pick on the same person here but it is what it is. Integrity must be upheld as it's not fair to those who make sure to check off all the boxes on the requirements for the challange. But like cturek mentioned, he's gonna be having another go at it. But what about other violations?

After dealing with my 25.39 JSB's not going as planned and after having hit the wrong ball in an earlier vid of mine I almost decided to throw in the towel and have to come back another day so as to keep in line with the rules. Luckily I swallowed my pride and let go my stubborn attitude and did what I should have from the start and used the 33.95 JSB's and got where I needed to be straight away. That's all part of "earning" this accomplishment. Going through the paces and learning your gear and making necessary changes along the way.

"T3PRanch"
"Hajimoto" If I see a video of someone hitting a US dime hanging from a string at 150-Yards, that is one heck of shot and there is no denying that but that US Dime shot does not qualify for anything other than "One Heck Of A Shot!".

It is a bit more than that. It can land you in court being prosecuted by the Feds for defacing US Coinage which IS a crime! ;)

Thurmond
Please stop perpetuating a lie Thurmond. It is only illegal deface/alter money, coin or paper with the intent to use it as currencey. Shooting or burning your money is just fine if you don't try to pass it as legal currency.

18 USC 331: Mutilation, diminution, and falsification of coins Text contains those laws in effect on August 6, 2017From Title 18-CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDUREPART I-CRIMESCHAPTER 17-COINS AND CURRENCYJump To: Source CreditAmendments§331. Mutilation, diminution, and falsification of coinsWhoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the mints of the United States, or any foreign coins which are by law made current or are in actual use or circulation as money within the United States;
orWhoever fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or sells, or attempts to pass, utter, publish, or sell, or brings into the United States, any such coin, knowing the same to be altered, defaced, mutilated, impaired, diminished, falsified, scaled, or lightened-Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. (June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 700 ; July 16, 1951, ch. 226, §1, 65 Stat. 121 ; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, §330016(1)(I), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147 .)Historical and Revision NotesBased on title 18, U.S.C., 1940 ed., §279 (Mar. 4, 1909, ch. 321, §165, 35 Stat. 1119 ).Mandatory punishment provision was rephrased in the alternative.Reference to persons causing or procuring was omitted as unnecessary in view of definition of "principal" in section 2 of this title.Changes were also made in phraseology. Amendments1994-Pub. L. 103–322 substituted "fined under this title" for "fined not more than $2,000". 

edited to make it a bit clearer to read. Also if someone can provide a case study or trial that involved the conviction of a person who defaced currency for personal use or non- fraudulent resale in the past 30 years I will defer.

Ok - Ok - enough already! Even though AGD has approved my 150 shot "hole in one" and I am officially in the Long Rangers Club per their approval, I will attempt this shot again before the deadline. My Talon SS just isn't up to the task at those over 150 ranges without adjustable rings. In support of the AGN community (and AirGunDepot's bottom line and profits) I even purchased a new AirForce Texan .357 rifle combo kit this morning and THREE MORE EXPLODING AGD BALLS. So with that said - do NOT question my commitment to this challenge! I live in Michigan so the Texan will be my deer hunting rifle, but will be my tool of choice for the 175 and 200+ yard attempts. So can we put this "rules are rules" thing to rest? GEEEEEZ!

So for all of you walking red pen / rule protectors of the universe / "this is a competition" - I want to make a proposal to the AirgunNation community... If we want to be a bit more competitive (but still just for fun) - we should petition AGN to allow us to organize an AGN / AGD Long Ranger Airgun Golf League! In support of this idea - I have changed my AGN profile name and from here on out be know as Lead Cup (Tin Cup Movie reference).

df4efc96feb7f13cf7fc0b3656f409a0.jpg

Just spit balling here - but we could make each yardage category a "Flight" to allow for some handicapping of the various rifle powers and capabilities. We could even have a Springer / Gas Piston Flight and have a 100 yard category for our non PCP fellow air gunners. We could have the league run vary similar to other golf leagues and petition AGD to offer different prizes for longest shots - fewest shots - age / gender brackets - the possibilities are endless. Who's with me?! (and yes - Haj and others can lead the rules committee)

cturek, LOL. You're playing directly into the hands of AGD's marketing campaign which is working brilliantly!

Just kidding.. Sort of. Good sir, that is admirable of you. I was gonna ask why you think your .25 ss isn't capable but then I saw in your video it's got a 12" barrel. Good luck to you and I hope you push the bar, no pun intended (yeah, pun intended), and shoot for 225 yards.

"Bizill"cturek, LOL. You're playing directly into the hands of AGD's marketing campaign which is working brilliantly!

Just kidding.. Sort of. Good sir, that is admirable of you. I was gonna ask why you think your .25 ss isn't capable but then I saw in your video it's got a 12" barrel. Good luck to you and I hope you push the bar, no pun intended (yeah, pun intended), and shoot for 225 yards.
So glad you saw that the Talon SS only has a 12 inch barrel - which makes the hole in one even that more crazy unbelievable of a shot. And yes - I am playing right into AGD hands with this Long Ranger campaign and I am ok with that. I too am a marketing professional and I love it when companies can mobilize a grassroots movement to support a broader community which in turn is great branding for their company = increased sales. This campaign has effectively done both and I had been eyeing that Texan for months since Michigan now allows deer hunting with .35+ Air Rifle Calibers. This challenge shows me that my Talon SS just really isn't a long range tool so I just pulled the trigger on the AGD Airforce Texan purchase (the 20% sale helped push me off the fence). Can't wait for it to arrive!

"...and so peace once again reigned in the happy village known as Aire Towne. The children learned once again how to laugh, the people were busy and prosperous, and the elders had time to sit and argue, gossip, and generally enjoy the days. All was well in Pellet Valley. That is, until Michael, the Mayor of Aire Towne, made a disturbing announcement..."

cturek, if we lived in the same area we could be to one another spotters as Tonto was to the Lone Ranger. You be the Long Ranger and I'll help film and then we'll switch it up. Going at this alone just isn't as fun. Then of course when I win that Impact drawing, you're just gonna have to deal with it.

I was going to superimpose a pic of our faces over theirs but I'm stuck on my work computer.

Okay, so I've been mulling over "whining" about it and have let slip by a few mentions already. Where can we ask AGD, probably here, their stand on handing over the rifle that has been dialed in to hit the ball at any given yardage by one person to another family member.....or 10? Can I go back out and have my 2 sons, their friends and the friends of theirs' friends of a friend's friend and their friend take a shot and be entered into a drawing?

Serious question cuz if so then I've gotta purchase more balls and have a big pizza party and invite everyone to come take the shot with the caveat that they have to hand the prize over should they be selected in the drawing? Oughtn't it be one entry per air gun? If not then I need to get back out.

The thing about it is that it took me hours to get my gun dialed in perfect and once I did, you saw the second shot hit. I could scoop up a bum on the corner begging for change and they could hit the same ball no problem. But they didn't put in the work. It takes, time, effort and MONEY to get things set up to accomplish this feat. Is it okay that just anyone can arbitrarily enter? Because if so, then I really gotta get the family out with me. I'd be stupid not to if others are doing so.

I ask someone to prove me wrong.

Nothing I've seen specifically repudiates @bizill in his thinking. Having watched the initial AGD video showing John hit the 150 ball, and hearing the invitation that AGD issued to the air gunning community to take part in this contest, my understanding of the "honor" system precludes the use of stand-ins. On my honor I will only report success by actually shooting the ball at the stated yardage, on my honor I will not use video fakery to simulate the shot, on my honor I will only have ONE drawing entry submitted for EACH Long Ranger challenge I complete. I am a straight forward thinker; to me this is a simple one-to-one contest. A blown up ball at 150 yds = a drawing entry. Same for 175 yds and 200 yds. Max 3 entries per air gunner. No minions, designated shooters, sons, nephews, cousins, homeless persons recruited off the corner, et cetera ... employed to inflate my chances in the drawing (if I ever get the chance to try for the shot/s). That is my approach to the contest.

Looks like I won't be able to go past 222 yards as I'll run out of mildots. Here is where I ended up with Strelok Pro when I took my 202 yard shot. Notice above that the elevation turret is maxed out at 13 mils or 130 clicks and I still had to use 5 1/2 mildot holdover and an holdover for wind. This is with built in 20moa rail in my Taipan Veteran. I could guesstimate holdover just a bit but doubt I'll get out to 230 yards without new adjustable rings. I think I'll be taking a seat on this one. 202 is good enough for me.

I had to fudge with my ballistic co-efficient out that far in strelok to get this to be accurate to the shot I took. The parameters I fed Strelok at first had me way off at 200 yards. I'm glad I did this challenge though as it's given me data to feed into Strelok Pro to be more accurate at all ranges. Wind was higher than what my pic below shows as I had turned my windage turrets some and then accounted for wind on the fly with holdover beside the windage clicks. I estimate the wind to have been at 6-7 mph when I took the shot. Wind came in about the 10 o'clock position.

D4K7DLR.jpg

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!

Anybody out there? I think I know another reason I couldn't hit jack squat with my 25.39 JSB's. They're flying at 927fps. But I recall hearing them make like a oscillating "whrrrr'ing" type of sound which I would imagine would be synonymous with pellet spiraling. Anyone have any experience in this or do I need to go to the pellet sub-forum?

The hardest part of this was waiting for a calm morning to shoot. I should have shot the first day I went out to the shooting range but I was still able to make the shot at 200 yards. I think I will try 250 and 300 yards if I get lucky enough to get a very very calm morning. I zeroed my scope at 200 yards and figured out my drop for 250 and 300 yards. Its just the wind makes it very difficult to shot at these distances. Enjoy