• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Airgun Depot's Long Rangers

Man, that AGD site leaderboard has been saturated with 200+ yard entries. Ya'll getting me antsy. I was thinking I'm stuck unless I get new rings, but I have some room, I believe to increase HST. Upping my fps and perhaps not needing to make any other changes but to re-zero. And if I remember the terrain correctly, I might have enough to get a bit further out. The overhead Google maps doesn't tell the whole story. It's hard to find a clear path between the desert shrubs.

This was my current shot.

mF0L6fg.png

"hawkeye"Hajimoto 
your scope cam set up is very cool when im ready to purchase a scope cam ill definetly want a custom built Hajimoto Scope Cam
Please understand Hawkeye, I do not build or charge for them, I made the video so all my friends in the airgun community can build one of their own.The video has all the link to all the part needed so you can build her yourself. Here is a better photo of my complete unit which utilizes a GoPro Hero 4 Black. I capture through the scope at 120 frames per sec. If you need (or anyone else) any help, I will assist in any way I can.

gfAZ9xz.jpg

Reactions: Mick-VA
@hajimoto, your scope cam set-up is very cool - had me out looking at prices on Hero 4's to see what it'd take to film what I believe are the best shot perspectives to be found. Unfortunately I realized that my gas spring NP2 doesn't like rested shooting at all and your set-up pushes the eye position too far back for my optimal hold. As an alternative I've been looking at the Side Shot set-up as it seems to lend itself more readily to the spring rifle limitations that I have developed for myself. Still and all, great ingenuity and a really good outcome with your set-up. Well done, sir!

"wyshadow"The hardest part of this was waiting for a calm morning to shoot. I should have shot the first day I went out to the shooting range but I was still able to make the shot at 200 yards. I think I will try 250 and 300 yards if I get lucky enough to get a very very calm morning. I zeroed my scope at 200 yards and figured out my drop for 250 and 300 yards. Its just the wind makes it very difficult to shot at these distances. Enjoy

Nice setup buddy. Don't see or hear about many Morana's. Wonder why there aren't more?

Hey guys, I thinking about trying to attempt 175 with my Bulldog. The week before my 150 challenge video, I was shooting better and was expecting to get it under 20 shots. But, the day of my actual attempt on the golf ball, ABSOLUTELY nothing went right. The heat, bugs, scope rezeroing,...other problems with my air tank got me thrown off my game. I know my shooting, gun and equipment are better than that. I'm starting to feel the need to redeem myself. 

What do you all think? Do I need to capture my normal day of shooting for redemption? If so, I need someone to give some tips on shimming.

What MOA raise in elevation can I expect from shimming a piece of aluminum soda can onto the rear ring of my scope? Or, what else could I use to get another 15-20 MOA out of my current equipment. I don't have the TIME to order adjustable scope rings, get the kinks worked out, then capture it on film before this challenge is over.

Need your imput, please.

David, what scope do you have. Sorry, don't wanna track your items down watching your video. Any way you can just up your hammer spring tension to get some additional fps and then use hold over hash marks or mildots on your scope, depending on what reticle you have?

I had to shim the scope of my kids' Marlin .22lr's a few years back just to hit at 100 yards. Cheap Centerpoint scopes. I did the aluminum can strips but at the bottom of the rear ring and the top of the front ring. Another thing you could try is shimming under the scope rings with a piece as well. I don't like shimming in general. Although it's used and widely accepted, I just feel you're doing a disservice to your scope. Also, it may or may not help your situation without knowing where you stand when you took your previous shot.

I was going to go out tomorrow and go for 226 yards but I don't want to deal with weather and a possible wasted trip. I do however want to step my game up.

XYvvKjw.png

Left is a sticker and right is an iron-on patch.

I have my hammer spring tightened to the max. I'm thinking about taking out my valve spring for a few extra fps. I'm looking online for a 2200 psi reg (instead of 1800) with over night shipping. That will flatten out my trajectory alittle.

I have a monstrum ffp 6-24 mounted on a 20 moa rail, and it is already nearly maxed out on its 16 moa dot on its 20 moa dot reticle, and the turrets are fully cranked too.

I agree, I hate to do this shimming thing but am in a pinch. Do you remember, roughly, how many minutes of angle one piece of aluminum raised the shot (or lowered the reticle) at 100 yards? I probably should have both the scope and rail shimmed, you think?

I was going to add how many MOA/mils it got me but for the life of me I cannot recall. I do feel that it should be enough to get you out just a bit further. Even if you don't have any reticle left over, perhaps ...well, actually, where is your zero? I actually had my Taipan zeroed at 20 yards of all places. If I would re-zero at 50 yards it will give me some turret elevation clicks. Perhaps that might help, but probably not if you say you're already maxed on turret elevation AND reticle. 

I say try shimming as it might just get you where you need to be. Just don't over-tighten your rings. Definitely snug them up, but some folk crank the shizz out of everything which might add unwanted stress to your scope and its internals. I think I torqued mine to like ...I don't want to guess as it's late and I don't recall, just don't over do it.

Not sure if you have lighter pellets but that will flatten out your trajectory at he cost of bucking the wind. They'll be more susceptible to wind drift. 

If you're that far off and don't have adjustable rings then you may be setting yourself up for a rough outing. You sure you don't have time to get adjustable rings? That would solve your problem.

One more suggestion, what zoom level are you at? Don't do like I did and have yourself maxed out in zoom as you'll lose half your mildots/hash marks as they'll grow outside your field of view being it's a first focal plane scope. If I zoom out then I'll gain like 5 extra mildots. For some reason I maxed my zoom out... I think because I was trying to see my pellet hits while sighting in and could hardly see them. They golf ball I could see easily. I should have zoomed back out. But I was happy with my results so it didn't affect me too negatively.

The 2 best suggestions I can make to everybody is 1. Place your golf ball against a dirt berm or some sort of steep angled dirt mound. Watching everyone else's video that did so and by memory of normally shooting my powder burners in this manner I can tell its a far superior way to get visual confirmation of where your shots are landing, both in elevation and in windage. Making a backdrop at these distances even out of a neon yellow against black shoot-n-c doesn't make for the best visual indicator, although it is much better than not having a backdrop at all. Something about using a berm and seeing the dirt move and even watching which way the wind blows the dust aids tremendously.

2. Take a few pieces of ribbon or light flags and place them out by your golf ball and various distances in between. It's really an easy task if you go prepared with it. Only use your surroundings if you neglected to take this advice. But beware, this can lead to false readings. Ask me how I know.

Eh, 3rd suggestion, if you're going to get a camera shot through your rangefinder, do it at the beginning of your vid vs after. That way if you spend alot of time hunting for the proper view you can just shut down the video and start over. Again, ask me how I know. LOL. That was quite an annoyance trying to line that up. 

"Bizill"David, what scope do you have. Sorry, don't wanna track your items down watching your video. Any way you can just up your hammer spring tension to get some additional fps and then use hold over hash marks or mildots on your scope, depending on what reticle you have?

I had to shim the scope of my kids' Marlin .22lr's a few years back just to hit at 100 yards. Cheap Centerpoint scopes. I did the aluminum can strips but at the bottom of the rear ring and the top of the front ring. Another thing you could try is shimming under the scope rings with a piece as well. I don't like shimming in general. Although it's used and widely accepted, I just feel you're doing a disservice to your scope. Also, it may or may not help your situation without knowing where you stand when you took your previous shot.

I was going to go out tomorrow and go for 226 yards but I don't want to deal with weather and a possible wasted trip. I do however want to step my game up.

XYvvKjw.png

Left is a sticker and right is an iron-on patch.
Congratulations! Space I know what you mean about stepping up your game I am definitely pushing beyond 225 to 50 I feel like a punk now 😁.

"Bizill"250 yards today. I drove 35 miles and 3/4 of the way to my shooting spot I realized I forgot my AGD golf ball. Drove all the way home, got back out to the desert and realized I had forgotten my Caldwell Fieldpod Magnum so I had to shoot of my bipod.

Now just for the record, to all of the previously qualified shooters watching this video, please know that while your shots were great and they put you in the running for the FX impact, but that's only part of what is going on here, the bragging rights go to the guy at the top and 250 yards just took it sooooooooooo, pack up your gear get back out there, 275, 300, 350, are a callin !

Damn nice shooting Bill!! Guess who is going to on top of the leaderboard!?!? You really are forcing my hand bro 😁

Gee, guess that means my first go-round at this with my NP2 springer will have to be at 275 or better. No prob! Let's see now, set up a hide at the edge of some bean field (this being Indiana, after all), install an outdoor recliner for napping, a YETI cooler to keep hydration supplies cold as long as possible, a supply of saline drip, a hook on the hide's top frame to hold the saline, a case of 5-hour Energy shots, a couple shots of SuperBeets for fortitude, 1000+ JSB 18.13 Exact Heavys... yeah, this is doable. Now, finding someone competent to put in the saline drip line ("just a quick stick!") shouldn't be a problem. I wonder what it will take to convince my wife to learn how to insert a catheter up my willie... :O

Haji, I'm the new "hated guy". It's basic psychology. Sort of like when the nice guy gets promoted to "boss", he's then INSTANTLY hated by all his co-workers. But I fear not as someone soon will knock me off the pedestal and then they will become the newly hated guy...or gal. Heck, perhaps you'll be that guy?????

I was going to shoot for 240 yards but since AGD seems to want to make patches in 25 yard increments, I opted for 250. I should have gone for 255 as I'm sure somebody else will be doing 250. Then as I mentioned before, another will go for 260, then 275, then.... so one and so forth. 

Iron, it's all about getting in that drawing. Not sure if ADG is bending their own rules on entry as I stated, just check the "trophy wall". Whatever, I wasn't destined to win anyway. Hence it became my duty to put the Taipan's name in the spotlight and show what it can do. I think most airguns in this price range are capable and some in a lower price range if finely tuned, but it'll take dedication and/or money.

Like I said, in short order someone will be knocking on the door of 275. I believe I would be capable, but would need new rings at this point. I was just happy to see I could get out to 250 with my current setup. I ran out of hammer spring tension. Don't want to play with my regulator. I watched a Kalibrgun Cricket on youtube hitting at a supposed 337 yards shot at a soda can with a .22. I say supposed because wind would knock that thing right off course and he did it in like 5 shots unless it was dead calm. I did notice he was shooting far downhill to aid in a little bit of added distance. Not sure what to think there besides the fact he ought to do this challenge. Alas, I think he's out of the U.S., but those rules don't seem to matter. 

Ironlion, allow yourself to fall prey to the AGD marketing strategy and buy yourself up a new airgun from them!

Found myself wearing my hat as my head was peeling from last weekend's excursion. Yeah I looked like a dork who needed a backhand, and it ended up being an overcast day. It is what it is.

Strelok Pro had my stats at 250 yards:
13 ft/lbf energy
415 fps, started at 882
1.28 second flight time
17' 10" point of aim above target
23+ mil holdover

My pellet would only pierce one side of a thick, EMPTY Clorox bleach bottle and remained captive inside the jug at this distance.

bQWPV1d.jpg

Reactions: ironlion269