Airgun deer hunting in WI is legal as of 03-15-24

For Deer, likely will wash out at 45cal and up, with an air unit you do not have the hydro shock factor of a pb unit. Ya I know you can collect a deer with a 22LR , generally that has to be a head shot. ( not legally though in WI has to be center fire and even there I believe the .22 cals and below are not allowed). I think the 30 cals will be to light and 35 a bit marginal in airl. Likely will pretty closely follow the muzzle loader specs. 40 cal in a rifled barrel, minimum, bp pistol rules require 138 grain minimum projectile weight minimum 7" barrel. I didn't see anything at the note I looked at specking ft lbs of energy or velocity. In coventional powder pistol units 357 mag is minimum forget barrel length if it was stated. Way back there was a energy minimum as well for pistol. Over all it has been a long road to this point similar to crossbows, and before that compound bows. It will be nice for small game in particular. Currently air guns are not classified under firearm rules, that might change with this- even if unintentional. Just have to wait and see how it plays out. Wi. resident

Last edited:
For Deer, likely will wash out at 45cal and up, with an air unit you do not have the hydro shock factor of a pb unit. Ya I know you can collect a deer with a 22LR , generally that has to be a head shot. ( not legally though in WI has to be center fire and even there I believe the .22 cals and below are not allowed). I think the 30 cals will be to light and 35 a bit marginal in airl. Likely will pretty closely follow the muzzle loader specs. 40 cal in a rifled barrel, minimum, bp pistol rules require 138 grain minimum projectile weight minimum 7" barrel. I didn't see anything at the note I looked at specking ft lbs of energy or velocity. In coventional powder pistol units 357 mag is minimum forget barrel length if it was stated. Way back there was a energy minimum as well for pistol. Over all it has been a long road to this point similar to crossbows, and before that compound bows. It will be nice for small game in particular. Currently air guns are not classified under firearm rules, that might change with this- even if unintentional. Just have to wait and see how it plays out. Wi. resident
.35 at 150 fpe will double lung no problem to 100yds.

For Deer, likely will wash out at 45cal and up, with an air unit you do not have the hydro shock factor of a pb unit. Ya I know you can collect a deer with a 22LR , generally that has to be a head shot. ( not legally though in WI has to be center fire and even there I believe the .22 cals and below are not allowed). I think the 30 cals will be to light and 35 a bit marginal in airl. Likely will pretty closely follow the muzzle loader specs. 40 cal in a rifled barrel, minimum, bp pistol rules require 138 grain minimum projectile weight minimum 7" barrel. I didn't see anything at the note I looked at specking ft lbs of energy or velocity. In coventional powder pistol units 357 mag is minimum forget barrel length if it was stated. Way back there was an energy minimum as well for pistol. Over all it has been a long road to this point similar to crossbows, and before that compound bows. It will be nice for small game in particular. Currently air guns are not classified under firearm rules, that might change with this- even if unintentional. Just have to wait and see how it plays out. Wi. resident
Yes we will have to wait and see what the gun requirements are.
Small game mammals and pests hunting with airgun and air bows has been legal in WI for many many years. Will hopefully harvest my first airgun deer in a few months. November.

Pretty sure you are wrong there as to the past in air guns ( even though it has been going on for eons), Air bows never were legal and are not covered under air guns either that I saw any mention of, & you can bet your sweet bippy that the bow hunting organizations will crying foul again on those. Even converting or adding a draw and hold device to a long bow or compound bow is illegal ( which basically makes them a vertical held cross bow) unless in possession of a specific permit dictating so due to handicaps. ( that hasn't changed even though cross bows are now legal with a specific Lic.). Remember how thick the telephone yellow pages used to be ? Well that is what the full hunting regulations look like, what is in the little handouts is only the tip of the iceberg. Oh, and at present, it is also illegal to hunt crows with a airgun- Specifically stated as such in the short list of rules, that may change with advent of the signing of this bill. There are going to be other gray areas concerning air guns ( add on air stripper on your air rifle may just get you some trouble).
Back in the late 70's I had a plain work van the only added item from the factory was a front passenger seat( that was an upcharge). One day about 10 am I was heading to the range had to drop some stuff off at brother in-laws place on the way . I got about 10 blocks from home and was surrounded by 5 police cruisers from Milw and West Allis. I had 3 rifles and a pistol in cases in the back of the van( van wide open no bulkhead between front and back) plus apx 100 or so rounds of ammo for same ( i did gunsmithing on side back then and had federal lic for same.) There had been a robbery in Brookfield several days before. Big chase, and they had not caught the culprit yet plus not 2 blocks from my home he killed a police officer. They had report of a vehicle and occupant which I unfortunately sort of matched, didn't help that the van was registered in Racine to biz. Needless to say things got quite nasty the minute they saw the weapons. Now I was covered by 10 officers with weapons drawn. Things settled down after bit. Remember the rules about transporting weapons and ammo in a vehicle back then. Technically I was in violation because they were accessible even though I would have to stop and exit the drivers seat to aquire any of the components. Gray area can get expensive.