• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Airgun at 100y Rimfire BR Match

I got invited to shoot with the Orchard Mesa Gun Club guys at their monthly 100y Rimfire match. Everyone there was really nice and very inquisitive about my slug gun. Great group of guys.

They shoot 2 cards at 100y. The first is the IBS Hunter 200y target, and the second is the IBS 100y Hunter target. The 200y target has a 1” ten ring, and the 100y is a 1/2” ten ring.

There were a total of 14 shooters. The wind ranged from 3-8 or 9 at times and covered about every direction except a tail wind. It was pretty overcast, so at least there was no mirage to contend with.

I was able to take 1st place with a score of 488 8x. I shot my Thomas Slug gun using 39 gr slugs at 850fps. I was really happy with how the gun shot and didn’t have any shots that went somewhere unreasonable for the conditions.

The cards were 5 record bulls and one sighter bull. 5 shots into each for score. I had 3 instances where one of my shots went into an existing hole and was a little worried that the scorer would think I only took 4 shots, but he was very experienced and identified them all.

I measured all the 5 shot groups on both cards when I got home just to get an idea of average group size. All 10 5 shot groups averaged .66 MOA. That’s about right for this gun.

I had a good time and it was only 40 minutes from home. Although I normally don’t shoot at 100y…I’ll probably go next month because it was really nice to shoot with others instead of practicing by myself.

Mike
Congrats Mike, If it was going to happen You Da Man to do it! Can't wait to see what you come up with next.
View attachment 283313View attachment 283314

Nice shooting, Mike. This just proves that, not only a good rifle, but a well-practice skilled marksman will always be on top. You RF shooters, don't be too quick to sell your rifles and buy an airgun. I've shot both disciplines and it takes lotsa practice and attention to detail to keep them in the 10 ring. Get one good gun and stick with it. Learn it's (and your) idiosynchrasies. Find the right ammo, sort it, and practice.

Thanks….the slug gun is definitely something that requires a lot of learning to get to shoot well. It’s a pretty strict procedure. More intensive than other guns.

Shot with the same bunch of guys this morning. A lot more wind today. Probably an average of 7 on the first card and up to 15 on the second.

I got 1st on the first card, and 3rd on the second card….with a 3rd place overall. One of the Rimfire guys shot a really nice second card….I think the best that’s ever been shot there. Just beautiful. I think it was a 242. The second card is the smaller one.

Here is mine.

Mike

BB3A3375-FCBC-4FDD-A2F2-76D83836C65F.jpeg

09E52084-9AE1-45AA-975F-5BBF8D213F84.jpeg

Thanks….I had more vertical than I should have. As you walk forward from the benches, the ground drops away about 4 feet at a 45 degree angle. When shooting with a component of head wind….I believe the vertical there will be more unpredictable than normal. I’ll see if I can wait out those conditions next time.

Mike

Reactions: steve123
I got invited to shoot with the Orchard Mesa Gun Club guys at their monthly 100y Rimfire match. Everyone there was really nice and very inquisitive about my slug gun. Great group of guys.

They shoot 2 cards at 100y. The first is the IBS Hunter 200y target, and the second is the IBS 100y Hunter target. The 200y target has a 1” ten ring, and the 100y is a 1/2” ten ring.

There were a total of 14 shooters. The wind ranged from 3-8 or 9 at times and covered about every direction except a tail wind. It was pretty overcast, so at least there was no mirage to contend with.

I was able to take 1st place with a score of 488 8x. I shot my Thomas Slug gun using 39 gr slugs at 850fps. I was really happy with how the gun shot and didn’t have any shots that went somewhere unreasonable for the conditions.

The cards were 5 record bulls and one sighter bull. 5 shots into each for score. I had 3 instances where one of my shots went into an existing hole and was a little worried that the scorer would think I only took 4 shots, but he was very experienced and identified them all.

I measured all the 5 shot groups on both cards when I got home just to get an idea of average group size. All 10 5 shot groups averaged .66 MOA. That’s about right for this gun.

I had a good time and it was only 40 minutes from home. Although I normally don’t shoot at 100y…I’ll probably go next month because it was really nice to shoot with others instead of practicing by myself.

Mike

View attachment 283313View attachment 283314
Thanks for these posts. I love following your work.
-Atlas

Edit. I messed up. The rules are better.
https://www.national50.net/target-and-scoring
Single Target Tie: In the event of a score tie, the scorer shall check the targets starting with the #1 target score. First target score with higher points shot wins. If a tie still exists after checking target 1 through 25 scores, go to #1 target score and check X's. The first one who gets an X wins.

Three Target Aggregate (Match) Tie: Ties will be broken by comparing the score on the first target card - High Score wins, if a tie still exists then the second target card high score wins, if a tie still exists then the third target card high score will resolve the winner. If a tie still exists, then the first card first miss (and so on) breaks the tie.

We will add something like this to clarify the Aggregate Leader Board tie.
Aggregate Leader Board Tie: Ties will be broken by comparing the score on the first target card - High Score wins, if a tie still exists then the second target card high score wins, if a tie still exists then the third target card high score will resolve the winner. If a tie still exists, then the first card X breaks the tie (and so on).

Keith & I are tied for 2nd place. I win because I have 1st high card. 250 vs his 249.
1665188859614.png

Last edited: