• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airgun Addiction...Are you blamed for hooking your friends on airguns?

Have you been blamed for your addicting people to airguns? Below is what I am currently going through:

okay, we always hear about “gateway drugs”, i.e. for some say marijuana is a gateway drug, which leads on to the harder for drugs like cocaine. Well, I have been blamed for leading my buddy down a the “dark path” of “airgun addition.” My buddy’s gateway drug the Brocock Compatto Sniper XR I sold him in November 2020.

This friend of mine, whom shall remain anonymous (@vitals2k) blames me for costing him $1000s of dollars because of introducing him to airguns and AGN. Am I to blame for my friend’s addiction because he doesn’t know “self control”?! Why should I be blamed for his weaknesses?!

My only sin is selling my anonymous buddy (@vitals2k) a Brocock Compatto Sniper XR 177, and then use my .25 cal Taipan Compact for is turkey hunt. After two turkeys he runs down to the nearest street corner to find a Taipan for his next fix. Well, the Taipan Compact was no longer good enough for him, he needed a Taipan LONG to get his buzz, always more power. Now he knows no restraint and is planning to buy more and more, and blames me for leading him into the “Tunnel of Darkness” called Airgun Addiction. 

I have to completely agree with your buddy @Vitals2k. It appears you fed his addiction without any concerns that this might lead to a more drastic problem and continuing addiction without any regard for his problem. Your buddy needs help. Your buddy needs a friend to curb his addiction. Your friend doesn't need you to keep feeding the addiction. For Gods sake man, stop the insanity!!!!

On a side note....know anybody selling a Leishy 2 in 25 cal?....HAHAHAHA

I participate in Cowboy Action Shooting. We have match weekends once or twice a month and since I am responsible for running my club's matches, I head up to the range on Friday mornings to prepare things, and normally have a chance to shoot airguns Friday afternoons, and Saturday mornings (when the winds are normally calmer) before the Cowboy match starts. It is where I can shoot 100 yards plus, as my backyard ranges only go out to 61 yards max.

So I have slowly been introducing the Cowboy shooters to modern PCP air rifles. It is actually kind of funny that this crowd has mostly never used an optical sight on a rifle before. But once they get over that, can actually see something through the scope and then can actually find the targets with it, they are floored. Accuracy, triggers they just can't believe, and total lack of recoil.

Many times I put out a KYL target stand, or a row of 15 or so Charms Mini-Pops as targets out at about 35 yards. My 'rule' is that once you smack the candy on the mini-pop, you are not allowed to move onto the next one until you have then cut the stick with a subsequent shot. 2 targets for the price of 1! These shooters absolutely can't believe that they are cutting these little candy sticks at 35 yards.

IMG_1364B.1619798601.jpg

I have already sold 2 of my rifles to fellow Cowboys, who tried them at our range and just fell in love with them. So far they seem very happy with their purchases and haven't gone further off the deep end yet.

At the last match weekend a fellow Cowboy shooter told me that he had bought his own air gun! It was his birthday and MidwayUSA sent him an email wishing him a happy birthday, and giving him some discounts for the day. He had purchased a Gamo Swarm, but he hadn't yet received it.

He hadn't shot my 'Mini-Pop' challenge before so he tried doing so with my Impact MkII Compact. He hit the candy on his first shot, and then it only took him 2 more shots to cut the stick. Next candy and stick were taken care of with one shot each.

He turned to me and said "I haven't even received it yet, but you have already ruined me regarding my new Gamo Swarm, haven't you." I could only nod my head in shame. I think that the dark side is strong with this one...

I would have to agree with the others. You are the guilty party and it is mostly your fault although the government always has something in the fight. They locked us up for a year, so the addiction could have it's way with us, which is a more than unreasonable thing to do. But don't feel too bad about it many of us are just as bad introducing and indoctrinating so many people into the way of the airgun. So... evil we are! ;^)

I have to completely agree with your buddy @Vitals2k. It appears you fed his addiction without any concerns that this might lead to a more drastic problem and continuing addiction without any regard for his problem. Your buddy needs help. Your buddy needs a friend to curb his addiction. Your friend doesn't need you to keep feeding the addiction. For Gods sake man, stop the insanity!!!!

On a side note....know anybody selling a Leishy 2 in 25 cal?....HAHAHAHA

👆😂

As a recovered addict myself (drugs, not airguns), addiction is classified as a disease, not an issue of will power so, imho, you can't be blamed for this "disease" we're all cursed with. However you could help wean him off by gradually diminishing his daily dose & stepping down that which he is addicted to gradually. (Every week he should go to a less expensive, less accurate gun, hopefully ending with a Daisy BB gun or even a sling shot. By that time he should be able to stand on his own two feet, finally FREE from the horror that is modern airgunning! Have to go now. Meeting my connection to score some pellets & a bipod.

Just since June of 2020, a buddy of mine has purchased 5 air rifles since I introduced him to the sport. Prior to last June, he thought an air gun was the little guns you bought at wal mart that had the orange caps at the end of the barrel. Him and his son came over to check my set up out, and after his son split a playing yard placed sideways in half, at 50 yards with my wildcat 30, my buddy yells out- “I WANT ONE! BUILD IT EXACTLY LIKE YOURS!!”

So I first built him, meaning, scope and mounts, mag holders, anti cant levels, scope covers, spare mags, superior liner, scope parallax wheel and throw lever, 20 tins of pellets, cleaning kit, and a gun tune his first wildcat in 25, then shortly after a second wildcat this time in 30, and when he came over to pick that up he noticed my Impact. So he hands me over cash to find him one, in which I did in less than two hours, and the cycle of outfitting the third gun started all over. The impact he picked up around mid December when I had it all done. So that’s three so far, lol. Add in the Airhog 88 cu ft tank kit and the Caldwell Stinger rest to that, too!

just over a month and a half ago, I sent him a pic along with an explanation of a barely used LCS- SK19 in 25. Well, that’s in his house now, awaiting a scope installation by me when he gets around to it. 

In between these 4 platforms, he somehow picked up a brand new Umarex Air Saber, ha ha. He is definitely hooked, and he did say this whole pcp thing has “rekindled our friendship”(we’ve known each other since kids, and life just got in the way of staying in touch. You all know how that goes)

I wouldn’t do that to my friends, unless talking Dean into a gauntlet, or Sean into a flashpup counts. Bigragu must certainly be one of the worst enablers, I contacted him about a couple orings and ended up getting a Alkin W31 compressor, I’m still trying to figure out how it happened! Gerry52 you have great plan to help get rid of airgunitus, it should work flawlessly! They will never notice the changes in accuracy if you do it slowly enough, they may notice it on the day they go from Daisy bb gun to slingshot though lol.