• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Airforce Tx2 Valve Caliber Change maybe?

Here is my question? I have a Texan CF TX2 .510 cal I know the .45 and 50 share the same valve. Could I possibly rebarrell to a smaller caliber say 40 cal for example. I know the 257 Texan and 30 cal.have the same valve. I have a lathe and can do the barrel work myself. I would love to.get the African Air Ordinance 4500 psi upgrade for the 50 but I just can't do it with my finances now. I reliaze that I need a booster pump to fill over 5500 psi that will fill my Scott 5500 psi scba tank and than hook.to my aqua environment regulator that goes from 7000psi . I have half the tools to.get there put no cigar. I would like to buy a match lapped barrel my Lother Walter shoots ok but it is a little rough in a few areas. What is the limit on smallest caliber I could put on my factory Tx2 valve? I used to work at E.R Shaw barrel manufacturer in bridgeville pa I have a .375 caliber barrel that I acquired from working there. Any input appreciated? I know there is always a practical limit.

Here is my question? I have a Texan CF TX2 .510 cal I know the .45 and 50 share the same valve. Could I possibly rebarrell to a smaller caliber say 40 cal for example. I know the 257 Texan and 30 cal.have the same valve. I have a lathe and can do the barrel work myself. I would love to.get the African Air Ordinance 4500 psi upgrade for the 50 but I just can't do it with my finances now. I reliaze that I need a booster pump to fill over 5500 psi that will fill my Scott 5500 psi scba tank and than hook.to my aqua environment regulator that goes from 7000psi . I have half the tools to.get there put no cigar. I would like to buy a match lapped barrel my Lother Walter shoots ok but it is a little rough in a few areas. What is the limit on smallest caliber I could put on my factory Tx2 valve? I used to work at E.R Shaw barrel manufacturer in bridgeville pa I have a .375 caliber barrel that I acquired from working there. Any input appreciated? I know there is always a practical limit.

I think the big problem is that when bullets gets lighter the valve does not stay open as long (Dwell time).

So a heavier hammer might do better in giving you full use of the air.

I see no problem in a .308 barrel with a fast twist for long and heavy bullets.

If I stick with 250 to 450 grains cast weights in Caliber say 40cal should work. I might try my 26 inch er Shaw .375 cal barrel out for A Texan barrel swap. Barrel is new and has been collecting dust for years. If it doesn't work I'm not out any $$$. Now to find a decent.375 cast. Mold. As always thank you for your much valued opinion.

Capt Keith you are probably right. I'm pro going to try 2 barrels one cheap shorter green mountain 26 inch and a aftermarket 33 34 inch . The reviews for the green mountain barrels are pretty good. Might be worth spending $120 and giving one a try. At least when you r not wasting money on powder and shells we air gunner s have extra money for more barrels. 😃 In my younger days I ruined so many premium barrels with custom hot rod barrel burners. Well now I can can buy one premium bench rest barrel and at even 4500 psi with air , should never wear out with soft cast lead powder coated slugs. My .375 barrel is too thin can't use anyway😐 Switching from 45 to 50 cal should be real easy everything is the same. Just wanting more versatile Texan and maybe even a short 26inch barrel that is kinda handy lol