• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning AirForce Top Hat Broke

I had just finished tweaking the Condor SS and the pressure was down to about 2000 psi. So I decided to fire a few more shots for fun. I got off about 5-6 shots when, on the last shot, the slug stayed in the barrel and the tank dumped all of the pressure.

I discovered that the rear part of the top hat assembly cracked. Please see the attached photos.

I sent an e-mail to AirForce. Hopefully they can send me another part quickly.

That top hat assembly has always been a source of frustration for me. The darn thing is always loosening up and I have to tighten everything back up again.

I'm thinking of putting some Vibra-Tite on the threads of the valve stem after I get the new part so everything stays secure. I haven't experienced this problem with the TalonP - YET.

The set screws that held the top hat on the Talon SS kept loosening. So put Vibra-Tite on them and they have stayed in place ever since.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what are your thoughts.

AF TH 1.1644837609.jpg

AF TH 2.1644837609.jpg

AF TH 3.1644837609.jpg

Take a look at this one from Tony at Talon tunes..
Screenshot_20220214-065026_Chrome.1644839580.jpg

I would guess you just have a defective part. I wouldn't use any locktite of any kind. Just make sure you use the o-ring and lock them down real good. You cant just snug them up. 

I've called Airforce about a replacement part on a new gun I purchased. Had the piece in my hands in 4 or 5 days, no charge. They were great.

I called AirForce and asked about the quick change top hat. The customer support representative said that would void the warranty.

On the other hand, she said that I could put blue loc title on the threads to keep the top hat pieces in place.

I asked her about using Vibr-Tite. She had never heard of it. After I explained it to her, she said it would be okay to use.

There should be an o-ring sandwiched between the two halves of the top hat that keeps it from coming loose. Did yours have that?

That's been so long ago that I cannot remember if I installed an o-ring or not. Either way, there is an o-ring there now. I also put vibra-tite on the threads and haven't had a problem since then.

Reactions: Berserkeley Mike
I called AirForce and asked about the quick change top hat. The customer support representative said that would void the warranty.

On the other hand, she said that I could put blue loc title on the threads to keep the top hat pieces in place.

I asked her about using Vibr-Tite. She had never heard of it. After I explained it to her, she said it would be okay to use.
This is the first I have heard of Vibe-Tite too. I asume it is a loctite clone.