Airforce Talon SS .177 air dump

I picked up a Talon SS in .177 and am having an issue with it dumping the air while taking a shot. Went out Sunday and it dumped the air twice ( once with AA 10.3s and once with Nielsen 12.5s) on me, I was not counting but the shot count was lower than I expected. Took it out today with the chrono and it started at 770fps with air arms 10.3s by shot 40 it was at 970fps then it dumped the air on shot 50. Called Airforce and they told me it is because I am not using JSB pellets (sounds like bull but I have some on the way to try.) I have now added an o-ring to the top hat and will try again in the next day or two (supposed to rain tomorrow.)

I was wondering if anyone else has had the issue and what was done to fix it? I purchased the gun for my son but will not let him shoot it anymore ( he shot it 10-15 times) until I am able to fix it. Seller is awesome and offered me my money back but I would like to fix it because it is a nice gun and my son likes it.

thanks in advance for any help.

If I remember correctly, for the .177 cal it requires a different valve. If the rifle was bought as a .177 the valve should be correct but if it was originally in .22 or .25 and just a barrel swap was done, it probably has the larger valve and the lower resistance for .177 causes that air dump. At least it would be worth the time to check it out.

Bruce

I'm unsure of the newer valves but on my old gun putting an o-ring behind the top-hat worked.

My .22 tank had dumped twice and scared the heck out of me until I did that, and hasn't dumped since. 

Airforce's pellet answer is odd. But your gun is shooting hot. Using a heavier pellet might help (???) and it will also bring your FPS down. 

You probably already know this, considering you've got a chrony - so just ignore me if you do. Based on your shot-string, the lower velocity earlier may be caused by the hammer weight & spring not being strong enough to overcome initial tank pressure. Then, after several shots, there is a better balance between the hammer and the tank pressure so FPS increases. I'd guess you may want to fill too a lower pressure to reduce the spread (or add a regulated valve). On my .22 I need to fill to about 2600psi (if I recall correctly), and then shoot down to about 2,000psi, for more consistent speed.

88148EDD-74AD-4EF2-B93C-3E737B8D09AE.1637184106.jpeg
Is this what you want to see?

did you remove the top hat....?? I want to see the top hat... either way.. do you really like the platform..? . I have many other guns but I have 3 modified old talon ss that I really enjoy... asking because the next thing take some money..😁.. call directly at aiforce airguns and tell them to sell you a new talon ss rimlock valve for. 177 and a rimlock adapter kit .. with that kit you will upgrade the gun to be able to use the newer valve.. I don't think the old valve is aviable anymore..may some other vendor have them for sale because it never sold it... be sure they send you the talon valve.. the condor valve the hole that the steam passes is way bigger..for a lot of more power..unusable for. 177..

Yup...that is a condor valve...the talon is completely different.. your will need... the bronze guide top n bottom..the complete stem with the top hat .. spring.. and the little black thing that holds everything together.. in order to make the complete change successfully.. the bottom sprig guide in the talon the hole is considerably smaller allowing less air to pass to the top ..