AirForce Talon, FX Wildcat MKI or Brocock Compatto in .25 for Sm to Med Game!

Just about all PCPs will need o-ring replacement in time. With that said, I think the less o-rings in an airgun the better from a maintenance standpoint. I have a regulated Brocock and have an issue with a creeping regulator that I’m working on. It still shoots reliably, but the reg pressure moves and O’d like to correct the issue. I really like my Bantam. 

The older Compatto appeared to have been built from the Bantam platform (or vice versa); I’m talking about the bolt action Compatto. There is also a power selector knob that allows you to narrow your transfer port opening to slow down your pellet velocity without having to disassemble or degas the rifle. I like the feature. Keep in mind that turning this wheel doesn’t necessarily change your shot count per fill. I haven’t personally monitored this aspect, but have read this. I have shot at different power settings and it’s a nice featuring considering that I’ve had to take the stock of off my Lelya to adjust the power level on it. 

Do you intend to hunt from a fixed position like a blind or patio? Will you be walking through the woods stalking small animals? What’s your hunting style? How do you see yourself using the aforementioned rifles on a hunt? What made you select the three guns that you mentioned?

So are you suggesting maybe a .22 instead of .25 or maybe going up to a .30? Family has a Bulldog in .357 for larger game. This would be a kinda of able to walk and carry for long periods of time type bully. If that makes sense...

No I wasn’t suggesting a .22 instead. A .30 may be something to consider for coon and larger sized game. I’m not so confident using small calibers for larger animals, but I see and read about others who do that. Your Bulldog would do the trick on a mature coon in a stock configuration. As you mentioned it’s not the lightest gun. 

My issue with that gun is not so much the weight, but the noise factor. And I don’t mean from the shot. Between the molded plastic clamshell lowers and a sling stud mounted sling, the gun is a creaking plastic nightmare for stalking in my experience. When I move it the sling mounts tend to make noise. When I grip it and adjust my grip I often hear the plastic creaking. I imagine an animal can hear just about every move I make with that thing in a still and quiet environment. The weight is ok if you’re in decent shape. However, keeping it shouldered waiting for a shot can get tiring if you are not using a rest. Good luck in your search.

You are definitely onto something with that. More of a blind or stand use for sure with the bulldog. Love the fact that it's .357 and it's still kinda loud compared to the Marauder in .25. Not really an all day carrier either in my opinion. 

My first pcp was a Marauder and no problem getting used to the bullpup. I also have a FX dreamline classic and go from one to the other without a thought.

Okay, that's good to know and that makes a difference really. Slugs will be used for hogs and such so want to be able to use them for sure. Thanks for that insight on the openings I would not have known that at all. 

My first pcp was a Marauder and no problem getting used to the bullpup. I also have a FX dreamline classic and go from one to the other without a thought.

Okay, that's good to know and that makes a difference really. Slugs will be used for hogs and such so want to be able to use them for sure. Thanks for that insight on the openings I would not have known that at all.

Your welcome

I have taken more ground squirrels with my .25 cal Wildcat than any of my other PCP's. Plenty of power to quickly dispatch Squirrels and Pigeons, however for the larger pests you mention I think you would want more power. The .357 Benjamin Bulldog would be a better choice for them and even larger animals.

Yeah I mean you're most likely right about using the .357. I have seen though that the. 25 is more than capable. Now legally, here in GA you can't hunt large game with anything lower than .30cal. But hogs don't fall under that or a protected season so it's wide open for those types. A 150+lb hog, most likely not. But anything 70lbs and under it suspect a well placed ear drop of a .25 slug should dispatch it. Or am I just all off on that line of thinking? 

I have taken more ground squirrels with my .25 cal Wildcat than any of my other PCP's. Plenty of power to quickly dispatch Squirrels and Pigeons, however for the larger pests you mention I think you would want more power. The .357 Benjamin Bulldog would be a better choice for them and even larger animals.

Yeah I mean you're most likely right about using the .357. I have seen though that the. 25 is more than capable. Now legally, here in GA you can't hunt large game with anything lower than .30cal. But hogs don't fall under that or a protected season so it's wide open for those types. A 150+lb hog, most likely not. But anything 70lbs and under it suspect a well placed ear drop of a .25 slug should dispatch it. Or am I just all off on that line of thinking?

You're thinking is right in my book,

I have two Bulldogs, and I don't have a problem with the weight per se, but I do with the length with a moderator on it. This has led me to decide to add an FX Maverick VP in .30cal. It has plenty power to spare, can be dialed down for small game in an instant, is very accurate, and very customizable with different barrel lengths.

I know this is higher than your budget, but I say this to give my vote for the Wildcat in .30cal. Although not as customizable as the Maverick, you still can switch out calibers on the Wildcat MKIII platform and go with different barrel lengths. The only thing it lacks compared to the Maverick, is less max power and no ability to change out air reservoirs.

You're thinking is right in my book,

I have two Bulldogs, and I don't have a problem with the weight per se, but I do with the length with a moderator on it. This has led me to decide to add an FX Maverick VP in .30cal. It has plenty power to spare, can be dialed down for small game in an instant, is very accurate, and very customizable with different barrel lengths.

I know this is higher than your budget, but I say this to give my vote for the Wildcat in .30cal. Although not as customizable as the Maverick, you still can switch out calibers on the Wildcat MKIII platform and go with different barrel lengths. The only thing it lacks compared to the Maverick, is less max power and no ability to change out air reservoirs.

Now that gives me something to really consider. Instead of having multiple platforms, maybe have one with multiple options for calibers. That would then open up the platoform to be 2 or 3 calibers. So, that's only allowable on the MKIII Wildcat models not the MKI I take it? But that's common on the Maverick of the FX's? That does indeed open a different door. Do any other the other platforms allow this additional caliber change like the FX's or is this an FX Maverick model thing? 

There are a few that I've heard of, but I can't particularly recall anything but the Hatsan Hydra, which personally, I'd give a hard pass.

I'd like at also state that I envision these caliber changes as something more seasonal, than situational, just because of the tuning required to make the swap. Maybe a swap to .177 500'm barrel in the Spring for pesting inside of barns for birds or rats where the lowest power is needed to protect equipment along with a high shot count. And swap to a .30 cal 700mm barrel for maximum power out of a blind or stalk for big raccoons and coyote.

This is how I'm gonna use it for, as the starlings at my rental property have had a field day because I don't fancy shooting my Bulldog towards the sky in my residential area. But I could also do okay with a .30 cal shooting pellets and the hammer spring at a minimum.

The possible configurations are plentiful.

BlkAirRiflemanOfGA

Now that gives me something to really consider. Instead of having multiple platforms, maybe have one with multiple options for calibers. That would then open up the platoform to be 2 or 3 calibers. So, that's only allowable on the MKIII Wildcat models not the MKI I take it? But that's common on the Maverick of the FX's? That does indeed open a different door. Do any other the other platforms allow this additional caliber change like the FX's or is this an FX Maverick model thing?

The EDgun Leshiy platform. Check out the EDgun Leshiy Classic and EDgun Leshiy 2. The Classic is a single shot and the Leshiy 2 is a repeater. Both are foldable compact air rifles that can accept various caliber changes if you purchase additional parts. 

BlkAirRiflemanOfGA

The EDgun Leshiy platform. Check out the EDgun Leshiy Classic and EDgun Leshiy 2. The Classic is a single shot and the Leshiy 2 is a repeater. Both are foldable compact air rifles that can accept various caliber changes if you purchase additional parts. 

Yeah, the Bulldog honestly has been relegated to larger game really just hogs. I know, could use lower grain .357 but wielding it is some effort. Why a buillpup or bullpup type is asked about in this thread. Yeah, I agree, being able to go from .177 to like a .25 or .30 would be a great rig. This would open up many possibilities for its use. 

BlkAirRiflemanOfGA

Yeah, the Bulldog honestly has been relegated to larger game really just hogs. I know, could use lower grain .357 but wielding it is some effort. Why a buillpup or bullpup type is asked about in this thread. Yeah, I agree, being able to go from .177 to like a .25 or .30 would be a great rig. This would open up many possibilities for its use.

I will definitely look into the EDgun products. I've seen a couple of them but not much. There are so many on the higher end like EDgun, AA, Brocock, FX, and others that you can't even find offerings for them through pyramid or AGD or AOA. Thanks!!!

I will definitely look into the EDgun products. I've seen a couple of them but not much. There are so many on the higher end like EDgun, AA, Brocock, FX, and others that you can't even find offerings for them through pyramid or AGD or AOA. Thanks!!!

@BlkAirRiflemanOfGA Actually EDgun recently expanded their dealer network a few months ago. Now you don’t have to order them exclusively from EDgun or EDgun West. Pyramyd Air and other US retailers now stock and sell Edguns. Here’s the announcement https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/edgun-west-opens-u-s-dealer-network/

Edguns are in the AGN classifieds for sale frequent enough to check in periodically and maybe catch a deal.