AirForce Talon, FX Wildcat MKI or Brocock Compatto in .25 for Sm to Med Game!

So, looking to add to the family collection and wanted to go the BullPup route. Want to stay in the .25cal and wanted to know which would be the better of the 3. Please keep in mind fill source will be a hand pump. JSB, H&N pellets on smaller game like chipmunks, squirrels, pidgeons out to 50-75 yards. But, will also use Howler, NSA and Mr. Hollowpoint slugs on raccoons, opossum, foxes, small yotes and small/med wild pigs. Nothing shot past 100 meters or 110 yards.

From what I'm reading/seeing online all of these seem to be really nice choices but no experience with any of them from a platform, manufacturer, quality or dependability standpoint. I'm sure this has been asked before but specifically on these 3 particular compared. Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks AGN Brotherhood!!!

The only one in the list that appears to be a true bullpup is the Wildcat. An Air Force Talon differs from the others in that it is a single shot where as the others are repeaters. Is this something that is important to you when hunting small game animals? Brocock makes semi bullpups which is kind of cool. So that would be more akin to a carbine type of gun length wise, but instead of sacrificing barrel length, the action configuration was changed to my understating. A lot of people have Wildcats and seem to like them. I have zero experience with them so I cannot recommend that personally, but I’ve read great things about them. As a Brocock Bantam Sniper HR .25 owner, I recommend the Compatto for small game hunting.

Personally my go-to small-medium game woods-walking hunting rifle is a .25 Edgun Lelya 2.0. It’s a very compact and sturdy bullpup. It has a simple build and it has withstood moderate freezing temps and numerous trips through dense brush and undergrowth. Shoots like a champ. I’ve taken squirrels - small raccoon sized animals with it using .25, 25.33 grain Diabolo pellets. My farthest was from 50 yards, but I’m generally within 25-30 yards

The only one in the list that appears to be a true bullpup is the Wildcat. An Air Force Talon differs from the others in that it is a single shot where as the others are repeaters. Is this something that is important to you when hunting small game animals? Brocock makes semi bullpups which is kind of cool. So that would be more akin to a carbine type of gun length wise, but instead of sacrificing barrel length, the action configuration was changed to my understating. A lot of people have Wildcats and seem to like them. I have zero experience with them so I cannot recommend that personally, but I’ve read great things about them. As a Brocock Bantam Sniper HR .25 owner, I recommend the Compatto for small game hunting.

Personally my go-to small-medium game woods-walking hunting rifle is a .25 Edgun Lelya 2.0. It’s a very compact and sturdy bullpup. It has a simple build and it has withstood moderate freezing temps and numerous trips through dense brush and undergrowth. Shoots like a champ. I’ve taken squirrels - small raccoon sized animals with it using .25, 25.33 grain Diabolo pellets. My farthest was from 50 yards, but I’m generally within 25-30 yards

Yeah the Compatto seemed to be a good choice. Repeater, side lever and I hear they are tough as nails. I don't know much about the manufacturer support for them or parts if easy to get or anything like that. Or if seals need to be replaced often or leak issues but that may be a good thing as I don't see much about that online. 

Just about all PCPs will need o-ring replacement in time. With that said, I think the less o-rings in an airgun the better from a maintenance standpoint. I have a regulated Brocock and have an issue with a creeping regulator that I’m working on. It still shoots reliably, but the reg pressure moves and O’d like to correct the issue. I really like my Bantam. 

The older Compatto appeared to have been built from the Bantam platform (or vice versa); I’m talking about the bolt action Compatto. There is also a power selector knob that allows you to narrow your transfer port opening to slow down your pellet velocity without having to disassemble or degas the rifle. I like the feature. Keep in mind that turning this wheel doesn’t necessarily change your shot count per fill. I haven’t personally monitored this aspect, but have read this. I have shot at different power settings and it’s a nice featuring considering that I’ve had to take the stock of off my Lelya to adjust the power level on it. 

Do you intend to hunt from a fixed position like a blind or patio? Will you be walking through the woods stalking small animals? What’s your hunting style? How do you see yourself using the aforementioned rifles on a hunt? What made you select the three guns that you mentioned?

Just about all PCPs will need o-ring replacement in time. With that said, I think the less o-rings in an airgun the better from a maintenance standpoint. I have a regulated Brocock and have an issue with a creeping regulator that I’m working on. It still shoots reliably, but the reg pressure moves and O’d like to correct the issue. I really like my Bantam. 

The older Compatto appeared to have been built from the Bantam platform (or vice versa); I’m talking about the bolt action Compatto. There is also a power selector knob that allows you to narrow your transfer port opening to slow down your pellet velocity without having to disassemble or degas the rifle. I like the feature. Keep in mind that turning this wheel doesn’t necessarily change your shot count per fill. I haven’t personally monitored this aspect, but have read this. I have shot at different power settings and it’s a nice featuring considering that I’ve had to take the stock of off my Lelya to adjust the power level on it. 

Do you intend to hunt from a fixed position like a blind or patio? Will you be walking through the woods stalking small animals? What’s your hunting style? How do you see yourself using the aforementioned rifles on a hunt? What made you select the three guns that you mentioned?

Woods walking, stalking. Can do tree lean, from sticks or prone off bags if possible. Rarely off hand unless something happens to pop into view and it's a clear enough opening with no brush or denseness of the wilderness. Not really from blinds or a tree stand or bench. If that makes sense. 

So are you suggesting maybe a .22 instead of .25 or maybe going up to a .30? Family has a Bulldog in .357 for larger game. This would be a kinda of able to walk and carry for long periods of time type bully. If that makes sense...

I have an airforce talonp. That gun is powerful extremely tunable and easy to work on. For me single loading this gun while not as convenient as a multishot is not that big a deal. You can buy a longer barrel or install ring lok kit to increase or decrease power over a wide spectrum. In fact I was able to get around 100 fpe when I put on a 24in barrel and opened up the transfer port. Then I did a caliber change to 20 cal and tuned it to 21 fpe to give to my daughter. Hard to beat the airforce lifetime guarantee too. They don't even care if you work on your own gun. Best warranty in the business by my estimation. 

Own or have owned all 3. Talon is not as accurate as the other 2 and is single shot at a time. Wildcat would probably give you a higher shot count than the Compatto but either one would be good for you and be fairly easy to fill with a hand pump..Both rifles are pretty bullet proof.

Okay. So, that tells me something too. Let me ask you this, the Talon is single load so I'm assuming it doesn't have any issues loading larger, longer slugs. Are the Brocock and FX able to load larger or longer slugs if wanted to be used as a single shot or only what fits in the magazines? Thanks for your knowledge and insight. 

I have an airforce talonp. That gun is powerful extremely tunable and easy to work on. For me single loading this gun while not as convenient as a multishot is not that big a deal. You can buy a longer barrel or install ring lok kit to increase or decrease power over a wide spectrum. In fact I was able to get around 100 fpe when I put on a 24in barrel and opened up the transfer port. Then I did a caliber change to 20 cal and tuned it to 21 fpe to give to my daughter. Hard to beat the airforce lifetime guarantee too. They don't even care if you work on your own gun. Best warranty in the business by my estimation.

Yeah I was thinking about that as well with the lifetime warranty and all. Single loading isn't that big a deal as stated would be a woods stalker type pellet launcher. And, I'm assuming it can eat pretty much any slugs you feed her right? 

Own or have owned all 3. Talon is not as accurate as the other 2 and is single shot at a time. Wildcat would probably give you a higher shot count than the Compatto but either one would be good for you and be fairly easy to fill with a hand pump..Both rifles are pretty bullet proof.

Okay. So, that tells me something too. Let me ask you this, the Talon is single load so I'm assuming it doesn't have any issues loading larger, longer slugs. Are the Brocock and FX able to load larger or longer slugs if wanted to be used as a single shot or only what fits in the magazines? Thanks for your knowledge and insight.

You have to find which slugs the Brocock will even shoot well. A Compatto will have a choked barrel. New Compattos come with single shot trays and they should fit reasonable length slugs. I can’t even recall the last time I tried shooting slugs out of my Bantam, afraid I’m not much help in that area. Here’s an AGN link about Brococks and slugs https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/slugs-in-a-brocock/

I shoot em out of my Edgun Lelya 2.0 though. As for my recommending a repeater in .25 for your style of hunting take a look at the scenario in this thread https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/racoon-headshot-edgun-lelya-25/?referrer=1 Keep in mind I was not out hunting raccoons and she was a young sow. 

I have the Condor SS in .25.

Have never had the other two.

Power can be move up or down easily. Racoons, Coyote and Pigs can be tougher than you might think and at the high end of the Condor's power, no problem!

Tough as nails, simple platform with little to go wrong, accurate as you are, probably the best price too. Single shot can be a drawback, but you get used to it. Not heavy, I love mine.

I have 2 of guns you ask about, the Talon is my least favorite.I have always had issues with accuracy. Could be me. The wildcat is great,I have taken lots of small game with it. Its 25 caliber. Don"t know anything about the Brocock. But the wildcat will get the job done.

OKay that's consistent on what I've heard all along on the WC. In your opinion or if you had experience is it a pretty easy adjustment to the Bullpup style from a traditional rifle style like from a Marauder to a Wildcat?

I have the Condor SS in .25.

Have never had the other two.

Power can be move up or down easily. Racoons, Coyote and Pigs can be tougher than you might think and at the high end of the Condor's power, no problem!

Tough as nails, simple platform with little to go wrong, accurate as you are, probably the best price too. Single shot can be a drawback, but you get used to it. Not heavy, I love mine.

So the weight and sveltness of the texan is why it's on the list. Single shot loading isn't a deal breaker. Has the built in male adapter for air correct? Hand pump friendly? That's good to hear your experience with the Texan. Albeit it's a Condor and not the Talon. Still good to hear.

So are you suggesting maybe a .22 instead of .25 or maybe going up to a .30? Family has a Bulldog in .357 for larger game. This would be a kinda of able to walk and carry for long periods of time type bully. If that makes sense...

No I wasn’t suggesting a .22 instead. A .30 may be something to consider for coon and larger sized game. I’m not so confident using small calibers for larger animals, but I see and read about others who do that. Your Bulldog would do the trick on a mature coon in a stock configuration. As you mentioned it’s not the lightest gun. 

My issue with that gun is not so much the weight, but the noise factor. And I don’t mean from the shot. Between the molded plastic clamshell lowers and a sling stud mounted sling, the gun is a creaking plastic nightmare for stalking in my experience. When I move it the sling mounts tend to make noise. When I grip it and adjust my grip I often hear the plastic creaking. I imagine an animal can hear just about every move I make with that thing in a still and quiet environment. The weight is ok if you’re in decent shape. However, keeping it shouldered waiting for a shot can get tiring if you are not using a rest. Good luck in your search.