• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airforce power mods, finally done

at last! after what seems like a long time i have finally managed to get these two rifles put together. Basically a talonp and talonss with updated spring, valves, barrels, hammers, breech slide and tanks. so, just using an airforce frame to hold together some great parts.

F0A7346B-F27D-4346-9152-390A006571C6.1626147145.jpeg
355E7206-D45C-44F6-AA3A-45910B1628CA.1626147145.jpeg

The one with the aluminum shroud has a 24" .250 TJ's barrel

the one with the can on the end has a 27" .257 TJ's barrel 

Both of these are un choked and one twist in 11 inches. The 257 I have been planning to get, the .250 i did not expect at all. Every time I asked about high powered long range shooting I was told that .257 caliber is the way to go so that was all i was looking for. Could not pass it up when I saw the .250 was also available.

both have Doug Noble valves (he did the barrels as well) and high pressure tanks, heavy hammers and 9 lb springs.

the .250 (ex-talon p) is shooting at 100-140 fpe at 3600 psi but can do more - i havent pushed it. 

the .257 is up at 160 - 170 fpe at 3500, again have not tested the highest end

the stock delrin breech shattered on the first shot - pretty loud and made my ears ring for a while. Using an old TT aluminum breech until i get a couple of higher quality delrin breeches (thanks to Doug again) that can handle the pressure.

the .257 is interesting... has quite a different feel to it At some pressure and power wheel combinations it is ridiculously quiet and still at 100+ Fpe. Very accurate...

needed ammo, so i spent some time casting, have bullets ready to go for both...

6CC63882-A1EB-44D6-8497-C25B4024FC65.1626147477.jpeg

On the left are arsenal 257420 70 grain boattail, On the right are .250 48 grain round nose boat tails from MP molds. I have a mold for heavier 60 grain .25 as well - 48 grains are a little light in this longer barrel. 

I'll post a pic with that homemade shroud off. It's mostly just empty space behind the muzzle and I have a 3-D printed ldc on the end of it bounces backwards into that space. I'm experimenting with different stuffings and baffles

458E2C78-8464-45AC-947C-99D5C20CDC42.1626148504.jpeg

hope this is interesting to some of you... airforce is not the most in vogue platform but man does it perform. And I don't deserve any credit for these I am just linking together the good work of other people. Doug Noble, for the most part

It's been quite an adventure getting here i have to say. I started this whole thing knowing basically nothing about air guns . Went for the most powerful pistol I could find in stock and have been working my way to this point ever since. I am just so psyched to have Doug's valves and barrels all set up in these guns. A blast to shoot but the whole process of tracking things down, reading what i could understand online, gradually "leveling up" the gun, trying to design and print baffles to quiet it down... at least as much fun as shooting. :)

Thanks. I thought long and hard about buying those valves and barrels. They are pretty much my only guns. I had the choice to get another one (or two) but I decided to double and triple down on the platform I had. It's been fun ust gradually stepping it up and it's nice and simple which is perfect for me. I know that I won't recover the investment I don't care - I'm not looking to collect guns, so I'ma set.

I can build ll kinds of guns out of these parts.

some examples:
.177 pistol, reg or unreg, 

.25 pistol, carbine, long? rifle 40 - 150 fpe (35 fpe with regulator)

.257 rifle 160+ fpe

All with really nice accurate barrels.

Roachcreek -

8 cavity aluminum mold from mp molds - about $100, i paid 95 when i got it. Those round noses work great as airgun slugs - really come out fast... uses drive bands, so there is not much drag compared to an NSA type slug. I don't know how they would perform in anyone else's air guns for any specific application like for instance for longer range precision benchrest shooting they may be terrible for all i know.

Shambozzie - the texan is the way to go! You will have that lever cocking mechanism. Turns out cocking a gun with a 9 pound spring with your thumb over and over starts to get annoying. worse with an aluminum breech slide. I have 3d printed a bolt that I can grip with my whole hand but a lever mechanism would be really nice so I think you're doing the right thing.

thanks to all for encouraging words.