• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AirForce Condor SS .177 for Field Target?

Kevin,

I'm having a custom made Field Target gun created by Tony from Talon Tunes, and it will be a 12 ft lb rig, based on a Talon SS frame. I had Doug Russell, of Mad Dog Stocks make an amazing Field Target stock with a full rail to attach goodies. He also put a simple stud, that can be adjusted for height, on the rear of the stock as a butt hook. Tony is working on fitting a regulator to the rig, and then he still has to fit it to the stock. 

When I get this in my hands, I will do a complete review on this forum.

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Ha Tom, a new project!! By the time you're done with it though, it won't resemble an AF that comes out of the box. Kevin, for all the reasons John just mentioned, including having a not so great trigger, it's not a good FT rifle. 

Also Kevin, what rifle you do end up getting will somewhat be determined by what class you will be shooting in. Have you decided that yet?

Chas

They are way too powerful out of the box. If you have the ring lock kit you can slow them down. You will still need a Mad Dog stock to reduce the hold sensitivity. I shot mine last weekend at a match and it was not good. I will continue to mess with it and see if I can get it sorted out though. The bottle still flexes and throws off poi depending on cheek pressure, so I want to try and secure it to the stock. I need to get adjustable scope rings to center my scope so I can click, right now it is less than a turn from topped out for a 25 yard zero.

My BSA Scorpion was cheaper and shoots better with no tinkering at all.

Guys,

Generally, 

You are correct when you stated that the Air Force platform is normally not a good choice for Field Target, and that is correct. Knowing this, I've seen some of the most accurate .177 's at my home range be Air Force guns. Chris Turek now has the official long range shot with an airgun of .177 caliber, and he did it with a Mad Dog stock. The Field Target rig that I'm having made will have the beefed up frame of the Texan. The trigger group is being specially honed, and the bedding and attachment of the Mad Dog stock, will prevent all flex and possible damage to the platform. Somehow, he is installing an Alteros regulator in it. Unless you go to the extremes that I have, out of the box, it is not the best Field Target rig.

Here are some pictures of the Mad Dog stock by Doug Russell.....

1565714180_15227085045d52e7043e5679.77397870_6076.jpeg

1565714225_13193612405d52e731415af7.35168213_6075.jpeg
1565714248_4917379125d52e748732b81.55631610_6050.jpeg
Hope this helps you in your choice, as I said, it's a super accurate rig, but most people will not go to the extremes that I have in order to make it bulletproof. 

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Reactions: SgtOutlaw76
Thanks for all the feedback. I saw a good deal on the Condor SS in .177 and it just peaked my interest. I also just happened to be in the market for a new field target rifle. Looks like they are great for hunting, but not field target so much. I'm really looking hard at the Benjamin Marauder Field and Target with the Lothar Walther barrel. I have used a Gen 2 Marauder and a Daystate Mk4 in the past for field target. I shoot Open class.

Thanks,

Kevin

Wayne,
What makes the Kral so good for FT? What are the factors you considered in your assessments?
The Kral Pro 500 has a 500cc air tank can fill to 3,600, but we only fill them to 3,200 at most and still gets at least 70 shots in .177 cal at 19.5 fpe.

It has a power adjusting knob.

The side lever is very smooth and cycles correctly pushing the pellet directly in the center of the skirt. (you would be surprised how many air guns don't and how important that is to accurate shooting).

The barrels only need a little polishing/cleaning and they will shoot with the best Slow Poly LW.

They are built simple... and strong.... easy to work on.

The regulator is very consistent and seems to adjust itself as the air pressure in the tank goes down.

Replacement barrels are very reasonably priced, and a little longer. If you happen to get a barrel that doesn't shoot 1/2" at 50 yards, (no wind) simply order a longer replacement... easy to install.

The stocks are usually not finished very well, but the shape is great and fits real well. I add a few coats of "Old English" furniture polish/oil and they look super after that.

They don't have much of an accessory rail, so if that's something you need for Open or WFTF attachment goodies, then you have fabricate something, but for Hunter and a Bipod, they are ready to go.

We have bought and sold about 25 of them so far and our customers are always really pleased.

The .22 and .25 cal make excellent hunting guns or Extreme FT BR rigs for the money.

Wayne

Reactions: ranger9037
The Kral Pro 500 has a 500cc air tank can fill to 3,600, but we only fill them to 3,200 at most and still gets at least 70 shots in .177 cal at 19.5 fpe.

It has a power adjusting knob.

The side lever is very smooth and cycles correctly pushing the pellet directly in the center of the skirt. (you would be surprised how many air guns don't and how important that is to accurate shooting).

The barrels only need a little polishing/cleaning and they will shoot with the best Slow Poly LW.

They are built simple... and strong.... easy to work on.

The regulator is very consistent and seems to adjust itself as the air pressure in the tank goes down.

Replacement barrels are very reasonably priced, and a little longer. If you happen to get a barrel that doesn't shoot 1/2" at 50 yards, (no wind) simply order a longer replacement... easy to install.

The stocks are usually not finished very well, but the shape is great and fits real well. I add a few coats of "Old English" furniture polish/oil and they look super after that.

They don't have much of an accessory rail, so if that's something you need for Open or WFTF attachment goodies, then you have fabricate something, but for Hunter and a Bipod, they are ready to go.

We have bought and sold about 25 of them so far and our customers are always really pleased.

The .22 and .25 cal make excellent hunting guns or Extreme FT BR rigs for the money.

Wayne
Thanks for the thorough answer. I was expecting to hear only about weight and weight balance. I was particularly intrigued about how important the probe's centering is.