• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airforce Condor or Benjamin Marauder for accuracy?

I think we are comparing two vastly different platforms for two vastly different uses, hunting crows, which the op asked about and field target.

For hunting crows, out to 100 yards, I would not consider using a field target rifle. Nor would I consider using a more powerful 100 yard crow platform for field target work.

RC

Obviously I have a lot to learn regarding air rifles. I'm bringing along 50 years of center fire rifle experience that does not match air rifle applications. My go to big game rifle is my 270 and a 129gr Barns bullet at 3150fps. Come calving season, that same gun has a 85gr fragmenting Barnes bullet at 3,850fps. for coyotes. One cartridge, two different rounds with different bullets for two applications. Both are sub MOA. Per many of the comments here, it's looking like (one model fits all) is not necessary within my price range or may not exist. My education continues... Enjoy your weekend everyone!

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I have never owned a Marauder or a Condor, but I do own an Airforce TalonP.
I bought it for close range predators at night in the chicken pen.

I was a bit surprised at how accurate it was at 35 yards so I pushed it out to 50 and then 85 yards.View attachment 370519
Three shots at 85 yards.
What pellet were you shooting?

I had 3 marauders one in each caliber..first few months shooting awesome.. all 3 carefully stored in solid bags .. but in all 3 it comes a day that no matter what i did pellets go spiraling all the way .. I sold them right away.. it been 10 years on this hobby I have purchased and sold many of my pcp and I still have 5 airforce guns 3 of them had been with me for 9 years. They are that good for my long range use .. o and I would never think in buying a marauder again..there are way better options for the money..

I owned a .25 Condor with a LW barrel in a Maddog stock and it was good in accuracy even at 100 yards, but not great.
I owned a Talon P and put it in a Maddog stock and I could easily hit a three inch spinner at 100 yards over and over.
The problem I had with my Condor and TalonP was that the triggers were quite heavy and couldn’t be made to break under a couple pounds.
Also single shot makes a follow up shot hard when hunting.
I like very light triggers, but I shoot targets and don’t hunt.
A 6 oz. trigger is great for a bench gun, but not for hunting in my opinion.
I don’t know if the triggers have been improved since I owned them.
The Maddog stocks were awesome and transformed the guns into very useful weapons that were fun to shoot.
But the heavy triggers were deal breakers for me.
I owned a .25 marauder with the Green mountain barrel and it was quite accurate.
And the trigger was far better than either Airforce gun.
I can’t say that it was more accurate than the Airforce guns but it was much easier to shoot more accurately for me.
I could never understand why Airforce didn’t work on a better trigger.
I actually wish I still had the TalonP in the Maddog stock, it was a fun and very hard hitting little gun.
Shambozzie’s suggestion is a great one, research it and see what you find.
Good luck with your search, and enjoy the search too!

Reactions: mercado
I have three AirForce airguns. Recommend the CondorSS in .25 caliber. The .22 caliber CondorSS is overpowered, even with the power wheel turned down. I have the TalonSS in .22 caliber and it's perfect for what I need. I have the TalonP and have only had to replace the air pressure gauge after owning it a few years.

I had a Marauder from Crosman custom shop and will never have another one again. I had to send it back four times because they would not fix the leak.

When I got it back it looked like the photo below. And NO the shipper didn't damage it. The outside of the box was not dented or damaged.

So the fourth time that I sent it back they kept it and gave me a refund.

What I like about the AirForce air guns is that they are easy to work on.

IMG_1243.jpg

I really use my AF to shoot bullets, and have pellet barrel setup just in case.. but I would never buy a AF gun with the main purpose to shoot pellets..for me it simply don't worth the effort.. for the price they are going new these days..there is way to many options to go single shot .
Are you using a slug barrel? If so, where did you get it?

I have owned multiple Marauders, and still have a couple.
I also own a Texan, a TalonP, and a CondorSS with the original SS barrel plus two extra 24” .22 and .25 barrels for it. I mainly just use the 24” .25 barrel on it.
Marauders have changing point-of-impact issues unless you buy a barrel band like Tim Hill of Hillairguns makes. If you are going to use a marauder and want dependable first shot repeatability accuracy I highly recommend that upgrade. The “free floating” barrel on the Marauder is NOT very sturdy. There was a time when there was a huge availability of aftermarket stuff for the Marauders, but time has marched on and there isn’t a lot of stuff being made for them now from lots of people.
The new .25 barrels made by Crosman are NOT as accurate as the barrels for the Gen1 .25 marauders were. They just aren’t. And you can’t find those barrels for sale anywhere now.
The Airforce guns are extremely durable and are very capable of very good accuracy. I am not a fan of how they look, I think they are about the ugliest airguns out there. But they always perform. No POI changes from that platform. To increase the shot count and lower the power it’s very simple and easy to just put an o ring behind the top hat to make the valve cycle shorter. They don’t look pretty but they are dead simple and reliable. Power to handle anything the caliber is appropriate for and I gotta say you get what you pay for. They are superior to the Marauders for being a “around the farm pest gun” that will see a lifetime of being jostled around on a 4 wheeler or bumping around behind the seat of a truck.
If you throw your factory Marauder behind the seat of the truck and try to use it a week later, you’ll find it isnt zeroed anymore.
Owning both airguns that you are asking about I can tell you that it’s been a pretty good while since I’ve had a marauder out to play with it.
I have air guns costing much more AND ALSO much less than the Marauders that get used much much more often than the Marauders.
I would spend the extra dollars and buy an AF CondorSS and later on buy the 24” barrel upgrade. I shortened my 24” barrels about a half inch or so, so that they fit entirely inside the SS frame and inside the Donnyfl threaded endcap. Looks like an SS but has a full length barrel for good power on a very low power setting, gives more shots per fill. I get a nice string of (if I remember correctly) 28 shots with 33gr JSBs. It also shoots Varmint Knocker 32.8gr slugs very very nicely.
Airforce airguns are made for hunters and are made to be accurate and rugged. The Marauder is a great beginner PCP gun with a fantastic trigger. Both airguns are capable of good accuracy.

Are you using a slug barrel? If so, where did you get it?
Tj liners.. my barrels are 4 in .224 different twist rate..n 3 in 257 . Will soon pay for the tooling for 1 more in .25 .. 1-16 twist.. and one more in 257 .. especially to shoot 85gr cast bullets... for .22 slugs the factory 24" LW .. is good enough.. my factory AF .22 - 24" could accurately shoot from light GTO ..to 40gr BT .

Reactions: Steelontarget
I had 3 marauders one in each caliber..first few months shooting awesome.. all 3 carefully stored in solid bags .. but in all 3 it comes a day that no matter what i did pellets go spiraling all the way .. I sold them right away.. it been 10 years on this hobby I have purchased and sold many of my pcp and I still have 5 airforce guns 3 of them had been with me for 9 years. They are that good for my long range use .. o and I would never think in buying a marauder again..there are way better options for the money..
That doesn’t sound right. I have 3 Maruaders and I have had no such issue. Bought them over a decade ago

I have no experience with airforce. I have lusted for the talon p. They seam they would be more accurate ( airforce LW barrel )

Maruaders are accurate

Last edited:
That doesn’t sound right. I have 3 Maruaders and I have had no such issue. Bought them over a decade ago

I have no experience with airforce. I have lusted for the talon p. They seam they would be more accurate ( airforce LW barrel )

Maruaders are accurate
Mine were really accurate..until maybe 2 or 3 months later they simply not.. it was not a barrel problem or a tuning problem..it was a really harmonics problem that I could not find a solution for . In all 3 .. I really liked the platform and ergonomics..that was years ago . I'm glad that they have worked for you. Another member here in this tread reported to poi shift in his marauders that is something I couldn't deal with.. I'm not really mechanical inclined but the AF . I really understand how they work and how to tune them, I recently got a talon p frame .. barrel should be here next week.. great compact hunting tool.

Mine were really accurate..until maybe 2 or 3 months later they simply not.. it was not a barrel problem or a tuning problem..it was a really harmonics problem that I could not find a solution for . In all 3 .. I really liked the platform and ergonomics..that was years ago . I'm glad that they have worked for you. Another member here in this tread reported to poi shift in his marauders that is something I couldn't deal with.. I'm not really mechanical inclined but the AF . I really understand how they work and how to tune them, I recently got a talon p frame .. barrel should be here next week.. great compact hunting tool.
I dealt with spiraling also when the marauder first came onto the market many moons ago. I found that it came about from using lighter pellets and too much hammer spring tension. Backing off the power brings it back out of spiraling. And I’m talking a HUGE spiral. You could watch the pellets go for 100 yards in a big spiral. I was new to PCP airguns at the time and it was a good learning experience.
Eventually I found that my .25 Marauders really loved the Eun Jin 43gr pellets if I sorted and cleaned them. And no spiraling.

The condor ss is on sale at midway and I think in 25 cal it's very nice. Three thi g you need ...tri rail, top hat kit to change power and Thumbhole/Accessory which actually stiffens the gun. Them accessories are cheap but you will thank me later.
That's a good price on it too, but if you get that version of the Condor, make sure to budget for an adapter and moderator. AF .25s are pretty loud.

I've never had a marauder.
I love my condor but it's far from stock.
.25 acp unchoked 1:14 twist barrel.
Maddog stock, extreme valve, Tony's light trigger spring, tri tail for the scope, extra barrel bushing, 95g hammer and a donny fl moderator.
I tether a ninja bottle for more shots.
consistent 1/2" groups at 65 yds with Avs 48g slugs for 95 fpe.
Took a long time to get there but was worth it.
You can definitely do more with the condor in terms of upgrades. But they can be a challenge to shoot accurately.
The right ammo at the right speed with the right hold is a good start.

Last edited: