Airforce Airforce Condor and slugs

I have an unloved Condor in .22cal sitting in the safe and was wondering if it was possible to convert one of these over to a slug gun in .22cal or .25cal with any success. Ideally it would be a MOA or sub MOA gun at 100 yards. Has anyone had success putting regulators in these rifles? My intended use would be crows at 100 yards, or a little further.

Last edited:
I've got a idea that some might love but I'd hate it.. tether to a bottle with a regulator..
the point for me would be like comparing a cordless drill to one with a short cord and a generator attached.. 🤣
hopefully someone else has a much better solution..
why don't you like the condor? not a even shot string? not enough shots? just wondering because I have looked at airforce guns and it seems like they only get a few shots.. and so I never got one.. for a rifle id want at least 25-30 but I actually prefer a bottle gun with closer to 100..
now pistol, needs to fit a holster.. so small tank is good enough but the best one looks like a huben gk1, next is the tequila gun, and last is the evinix viper unless they improved it.. I lost the attaman ap16 compact but it's not available and I don't understand why since attaman rifles seem to still be available.. maybe only until stock runs out?
Mark

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I haven't shot the rifle for a few years and thought I might see if I could turn it into a dedicated slug gun. A regulator would not be necessary, just a bonus. If I remember right I would get 25-30 consistent shots (at whatever pressure I had figured out) prior to refilling when I was shooting 18gr JSBs. Plenty enough for shooting crows when you generally only get an opportunity for a shot or two. I just want more distance and wind resistance.

Have you tried reducing the valve orifice? They have their Ring-loc kit, and other aftermarket suppliers have theirs, like Talontunes. The idea is with a smaller orifice, one can shoot at a little lower velocity more efficiently, and for a .22 slug in that gun that might be subsonic but still fast, use less air and have a broader shot curve. Not regulated but more usable shots per fill.
I tried this today with my Condor, coincidentally, and with Airforce's 0.123 orifice had a .22 20gr slug flying at 905fps with the power wheel at 6, and 973 with the wheel at 12. I estimate that orifice will give me close to 100 useable shots per fill, although I may have to dial the wheel a little through the shot curve.

that's a good amount of shots and plenty of speed I assume? or do you like to shoot faster?
mark
Well, I'd rather not have the pellet make a supersonic crack, so less than ~1100fps. Reading posts of successful long distance shooters seems to favor speeds up to 900 fps for pellets, maybe more for slugs or longer pellets. But I have yet to test accuracy. Tomorrow!

Well, I'd rather not have the pellet make a supersonic crack, so less than ~1100fps. Reading posts of successful long distance shooters seems to favor speeds up to 900 fps for pellets, maybe more for slugs or longer pellets. But I have yet to test accuracy. Tomorrow!
seems like you could possibly still get enough shots and heavier slugs and still be in the subsonic zone.. it's nice also to not have to wear earplugs if you don't have the crack .. the heaviest I have shot are still just pellets but they are the heavy redesigned jsb and hit pretty hard.. but I have heard that slugs are more accurate, especially boat tail slugs.. I also have read that slugs don't shoot well in some guns because of the extra drag.. seems like a slug could be made with ridges or bands around it so just the bands engage the rifling and seal the air and not the full length contact.. been interested in swaging slugs so you could have whatever weight and shape you want.. and totally consistent.. and they have groovers.. but it's very costly to get set up..

Have you tried reducing the valve orifice? They have their Ring-loc kit, and other aftermarket suppliers have theirs, like Talontunes. The idea is with a smaller orifice, one can shoot at a little lower velocity more efficiently, and for a .22 slug in that gun that might be subsonic but still fast, use less air and have a broader shot curve. Not regulated but more usable shots per fill.
I tried this today with my Condor, coincidentally, and with Airforce's 0.123 orifice had a .22 20gr slug flying at 905fps with the power wheel at 6, and 973 with the wheel at 12. I estimate that orifice will give me close to 100 useable shots per fill, although I may have to dial the wheel a little through the shot curve.
I have the ring lock kit with the different sized orifices. I didn't mess around with the different sizes too much. Which slugs have you been experimenting with? I assume you're using the factory barrel.

I have the ring lock kit with the different sized orifices. I didn't mess around with the different sizes too much. Which slugs have you been experimenting with? I assume you're using the factory barrel.
Ah, that answer gets interesting. I have a NOE "boat tail" slug mold 217-30-FN-BJ5, but I cast tin pellets so they weigh only 20 grains. The slug has a front ridge and rear band that engages rifling, but otherwise doesn't drag on the lands. Barrel is 24" stock. They shoot, and well enough at 25 meters, and I'm hoping to test them at 50 meters tomorrow.

With lead slugs weighing 30 grains I'd probably start with the 0.145 orifice to get into that 900fps range. Would probably get around 60 shots per fill then.

Ah, that answer gets interesting. I have a NOE "boat tail" slug mold 217-30-FN-BJ5, but I cast tin pellets so they weigh only 20 grains. The slug has a front ridge and rear band that engages rifling, but otherwise doesn't drag on the lands. Barrel is 24" stock. They shoot, and well enough at 25 meters, and I'm hoping to test them at 50 meters tomorrow.

With lead slugs weighing 30 grains I'd probably start with the 0.145 orifice to get into that 900fps range. Would probably get around 60 shots per fill then.
I've never casted anything other than babbit bearings.. and it was years ago and I was just the helper for the old timer who was supervisor.. you can really learn a lot from those who have been there done that..
so I really like the sound of you mold.. does it take a lot of time to cast them? where might I find the mold and materials for casting.. seems like when I did the babbit bearings he brought a old white gas blowtorch and it had a bracket for holding the ladel that we melted the metal in..
please let me know if you can tell me more about it.. pm message would be great 😃
mark

I've never casted anything other than babbit bearings.. and it was years ago and I was just the helper for the old timer who was supervisor.. you can really learn a lot from those who have been there done that..
so I really like the sound of you mold.. does it take a lot of time to cast them? where might I find the mold and materials for casting.. seems like when I did the babbit bearings he brought a old white gas blowtorch and it had a bracket for holding the ladel that we melted the metal in..
please let me know if you can tell me more about it.. pm message would be great 😃
mark
also I have a old white gas blowtorch in good working shape from my grandfather and I think I remember seeing a ladel in a box, also from my grandfather.. also do you have to use flux? or anything else?. thank you
mark

I'm getting ready to try some 28 grain slugs in my Talon SS 20 -19 inch barrel 1-17.7 twist..I just spent a rain day lead lapping the barrel..My barrel was.probably a factory 24 inch cut to 20 inches to fit in talon as frame..you think the choke would be cut off .....wrong....I could see the choke with my naked eye....leading up....it was pretty hard to lap out and get consistent.. I think I have to cut off the last inch of the barrel...lap.doesn't get last 1\2 to 1 inch. .. I be using external regulator. Ill let you know how it works....

Reactions: markhooper
also I have a old white gas blowtorch in good working shape from my grandfather and I think I remember seeing a ladel in a box, also from my grandfather.. also do you have to use flux? or anything else?. thank you
mark
Mark, sorry I missed your post. Casting tin seems similar to lead but at a lower temperature (~500F).
- where might I find the mold and materials for casting.
I use a Lee 4# lead pot to melt recycled unleaded pellets (tin, tin alloy, possibly with bismuth), flux with beeswax (any wax would work, in half-pea sized blobs), skim dross with an old metal spoon, ladle with a "pressure pour" ladle (Lyman), into NOE molds. I like the aluminum molds as they are lighter and cheaper than brass. Handles are Lee. A short firewood stick is used to whack open the sprue plate. I wear goggles and long sleeves but usually no gloves. If I was casting lead I'd definitely wear gloves. I suspect one could melt, flux and pour all from the Lyman ladle, but that one would be a real pro.
- Does it take a lot of time to cast them?
It takes 15 minutes to get set up and maybe another 5 for the mold and melt to warm up. Then I'm casting two pellets or slugs every 40 seconds or so. About 10 percent are immediate rejects, and another 10 percent don't pass inspection later. Triple those times the first time.
There are tricks I'm learning too as I get better at it.

I'm getting ready to try some 28 grain slugs in my Talon SS 20 -19 inch barrel 1-17.7 twist..I just spent a rain day lead lapping the barrel..My barrel was.probably a factory 24 inch cut to 20 inches to fit in talon as frame..you think the choke would be cut off .....wrong....I could see the choke with my naked eye....leading up....it was pretty hard to lap out and get consistent.. I think I have to cut off the last inch of the barrel...lap.doesn't get last 1\2 to 1 inch. .. I be using external regulator. Ill let you know how it works....
if you want help cutting it off and doing a good recrown I can easily do the barrel for you on the lathe.. I finish the inside taper with the barrel spinning fast and a die grinder with a tiny stone at a 45° angle.. my notos shoots a lot better..
Mark
PS.. it takes longer to mail the recrowned barrel than to do a nice job with the proper equipment..
IMG_20240122_161502973.jpg

Last edited:
Mark, sorry I missed your post. Casting tin seems similar to lead but at a lower temperature (~500F).
- where might I find the mold and materials for casting.
I use a Lee 4# lead pot to melt recycled unleaded pellets (tin, tin alloy, possibly with bismuth), flux with beeswax (any wax would work, in half-pea sized blobs), skim dross with an old metal spoon, ladle with a "pressure pour" ladle (Lyman), into NOE molds. I like the aluminum molds as they are lighter and cheaper than brass. Handles are Lee. A short firewood stick is used to whack open the sprue plate. I wear goggles and long sleeves but usually no gloves. If I was casting lead I'd definitely wear gloves. I suspect one could melt, flux and pour all from the Lyman ladle, but that one would be a real pro.
- Does it take a lot of time to cast them?
It takes 15 minutes to get set up and maybe another 5 for the mold and melt to warm up. Then I'm casting two pellets or slugs every 40 seconds or so. About 10 percent are immediate rejects, and another 10 percent don't pass inspection later. Triple those times the first time.
There are tricks I'm learning too as I get better at it.
nice thanks for the information.. wish my grandmother was still around, I don't know if he poured any bullets but I still also have his 10 cavity aluminum fishing weight mould..
sounds like you are making some out of tin.. I suppose that's what lead free pellets are.. seems like they weigh less too..
how do you tell your rejects? do you run them through a sizer?
I've been wanting to get a larger caliber.. currently everything I have is 22.. I'm very tempted to try the gauntlet SL 30 caliber.. I guess it gets around 24 shots.. but I keep thinking about the airforce texan in 308.. thinking might be able to turn the power down and shoot jsb 30 caliber pellets or turn it up and shoot boat tail slugs.
I do like it is available with I think I saw a 34 or 36" barrel to make it more accurate and more power with the longer barrel..
but I did read somewhere that someone was having good luck shooting copper plated pistol reloading bullets, I don't remember either 38 special or 357 or possibly 9mm or 380 since I think they are all the same diameter.. then I was wondering if it could shoot jsb 35 caliber pellets with the power turned down..
avenger X looks nice but I've been reading that it's pushing it in 22 caliber to shoot jsb jumbo monster redesigned 25 grain pellets.. and if you get a good barrel, you get around 35 shots per fill.. but with the bottle option it over $800..
any thoughts?
Mark

nice thanks for the information.. wish my grandmother was still around, I don't know if he poured any bullets but I still also have his 10 cavity aluminum fishing weight mould..
sounds like you are making some out of tin.. I suppose that's what lead free pellets are.. seems like they weigh less too..
how do you tell your rejects? do you run them through a sizer?
I've been wanting to get a larger caliber.. currently everything I have is 22.. I'm very tempted to try the gauntlet SL 30 caliber.. I guess it gets around 24 shots.. but I keep thinking about the airforce texan in 308.. thinking might be able to turn the power down and shoot jsb 30 caliber pellets or turn it up and shoot boat tail slugs.
I do like it is available with I think I saw a 34 or 36" barrel to make it more accurate and more power with the longer barrel..
but I did read somewhere that someone was having good luck shooting copper plated pistol reloading bullets, I don't remember either 38 special or 357 or possibly 9mm or 380 since I think they are all the same diameter.. then I was wondering if it could shoot jsb 35 caliber pellets with the power turned down..
avenger X looks nice but I've been reading that it's pushing it in 22 caliber to shoot jsb jumbo monster redesigned 25 grain pellets.. and if you get a good barrel, you get around 35 shots per fill.. but with the bottle option it over $800..
any thoughts?
Mark
I guess what I'm interested in is doing shooting like the Quigly bucket challenge.. it's awesome to see those guys shooting, I think all of them are using airforce texan 45 caliber, although I read that the most accurate for long distance is 308.. it's amazing to see them shoot over 1000 yards and they have to have a scope jack just to get the target in the scope..
Mark

if you want help cutting it off and doing a good recrown I can easily do the barrel for you on the lathe.. I finish the inside taper with the barrel spinning fast and a die grinder with a tiny stone at a 45° angle.. my notos shoots a lot better..
Mark
PS.. it takes longer to mail the recrowned barrel than to do a nice job with the proper equipment..
View attachment 441110
My buddy still has my Jet 13x40 lathe...I have a PTG 11 degree crown cutter but only have 224 bushings... Ill probably just crown it old fashioned using tooling settings angle....I don't have a mill though.... A major setback with airgun s.. I'm glad to know you have tools for air smithing😀. Hopefully in the near future do a long TJ barrel maybe.224. 14 twist....NOE makes a real.nice 51 gain .224 slug with B.C over .2... For the Airforce Talon...Ordered 300 bar valve and 90 gram hammer and heavier spring. Probably run 3600 psi tethered.... For know excited to test short barrel and 28 grain slugs....

so just a couple of things, if you use a die grinder with your lathe and a small stone that just contacts the same edge as you would with tooling.. the die grinder is spinning so fast plus the lathe turning you don't get any burrs to clean off or anything else like that on the end of the rifling..
also have a milling machine.. but I wish I would have bought a rotary table for it for indexing when I could have afforded it..
I have not done anything yet for hire as airgun smithing, it's only been for fun and help others..
just like Dallas helped me to get a 3d printed moderator to fit inside the shroud on my notos.. without longgundallis I'd not have a moderator on a shortened gun..
I can't possibly thank him enough..
I guess it's just how I am, if I can afford to help someone else and I feel well enough.. it's almost as fun as just getting together and shooting..
there's so much everyone needs to be thankful for every day we wake up..
Mark

I'm very thankful to have generous and kind individuals like yourself in the airgun community.. I just got a buck rail LDC for my talon....all I have to saw is wow....super impressed... Plastic is ok.for me😀.. I try to share my .510 powder.coat slugs on the forums,, not to many 510 users here lol... If wasn't for the help here I would never be able to enjoy or afford the sport...