• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airforce Condor Accuracy

I ran into a situation on my new Condor and wanted to possibly help anyone in a similar fix. My condor did not want to group consistently with anything I tried. This gun has the different orifice changeable tophats. The closest I could come to it's doing right was with NSA 33.75slugs at 1000fps. The group would move from right to left at the slightest change in tank pressure. Well I decided to change to another tophat and discovered the two pieces were not tightly wedged together and would freely rotate on the threads. I find it hard to believe that this small amount of air escaping could cause this problem, but upon tightening this and adjusting properly, now the gun will group well with just about any projectile I feed it. There is an o ring between these two pieces so apparently Airforce realized this may cause some difference.

Hi I owned and shot alot of condors years back , The tophat can be pulled out and when you cock it will set the proper length , I am unsure of oring and welds you talking about can you take a picture ,

if groups were bad left to right , I doubt it is airleak related , so when you shot groups were fps all over place? you did not post groups or spreads of fps in your groups , please update ,I remember collar is adjutable as well but the oriface you talking about is aftermarket I was never a fan of this I found better adjust-ability by springs and weights of hammers

my 257 condor groups like 1,25 moa at 200 yds with a rl 32inch barrel mine love 73 to 90gr , I also have a 22 barrel unchoked shoots lights out with any slugs in 36 to 48 gr however again this was not stock LW barrel but them LW shoot pellets and slugs quite well , I dont use much as I have alot of other pcp guns , which are much lighter and shorter .

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Thanks jland48. I have and older condor so in 25 cal. I bought the new tank with the interchangeable tophats. I am patiently waiting for the ring loc kit to come available and if I ever get it I will remember to keep an eye on that issue. How many useable shots are you getting with the new gun? I get 10 super hi power and then a bunch more at a reasonable speed.

I am using the third down from larges tophat. Shooting 28.4 Baracuda hunters at 880 fps and get close to 20 before group drops. This gun has so many variables it is fun to explore all the different projectiles and speeds. I had been hearing about using 50 Grain slugs for larger game so I shot some today. Dead on at 20 and 40 at 730fps. The power adjuster is at 30%. No telling what it will do when I crank it up. I like the Condor because of simplicity of design and all the mods out there. 

The left and right shifts I have not been able to make go away in my Condor. I put it in a Mad Dog stock and try to keep my cheek off the bottle. It helped some, but still have poi shifts as the pressure changes throughout the shot string. I wanted to like the platform for its easy adjustability, but if the shots won't go where they are supposed to, it isn't much use.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I own 1 PCP air rifle. It's a HIGHLY modified .25 Condor SS. I think the frame is the only stock thing left on the gun. That being said..... I'm very familiar with the nuances of the AF platform. It sounds like the "tophat" in reference is the "Spin Lock" that allows you to swap orifices to reduce or increase power/velocities. There are several questions that need be answered before suggestions can be validated as probable issues.....

1. Are you using a moderator? If so, it may be clipping. 

2. Are you shimming under the tophap to refine efficiency and reduce wasting air? Too much air behind a projectile will destabilize it, even if you're hitting ideal velocities.

3. How hard are you shouldering the rifle when shooting? AF condors are VERY hold sensitive. That's why a Mad Dog stock will do wonders. Instead of shouldering the bottle, you're shouldering the stock.

You'll be hard pressed to find a slug that shoots with extreme accuracy using the stock, chocked 1:17.7 LW barrel. It's just the way it is. Like jwrabbit123 said, to achieve extreme accuracy from your Condor you're going to need a custom barrel. Well, I recant.... To achieve extreme accuracy on a .25 or smaller caliber Condor, you're going to need a custom barrel. I'm using a 24", .25 barrel from Russia that has a land groove diameter of .248/.254 and a 1:15 twist. I'm also regulating my Condor. I'm hitting 965fps at the muzzle with 38gr AVS .254 cup base slugs and achieving extreme accuracy. But it takes a lot of R&D to find the proverbial resonant frequency of your rifle. 

If you want to get extreme accuracy from your existing rifle, here's what you can do. Regulate it! PCP Tunes V3 AF Regulator is fabulous. It will add 2" to the LOP on your rifle, but it will make velocities extremely consistent. Regulating it WILL limit power. This is a result of the smaller plenum. Use JSB Exact King Heavy pellets 33.94gr. Shoot them at 865-875 fps. Your rifle will be a tack driver out to 110 yards with them. If you want to shoot slugs, you're going to have a difficult time finding a slug that barrel likes.