• The Airgun Nation App is ready for iOS users! It should be available for Android users any minute! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Air Venturi compressor safety valve is open

Thank you both. It is indeed the rupture disc. I have never had a disc failure before on anything...gun, tank, or compressor. Probably has to do with the fact that I never overfill my guns, I shoot regulated/tethered when on the bench, and most of all I'm able to shoot at home. No need to do 4500 psi fills on tanks when 3800 to 4000 (the highest I'd gone until recently) more than gets it done. If I run low I can always just go to the garage and go from 2800 to 3800 pretty quick.

I've found that my compressor works VERY hard above 4000, but fills up to 3800-3900 fairly easily and timely. Even shooting a Texan .308 I can get a lot of shots from a sub-4000 tank fill on 74 cu. ft. tank. However, I now have a Texan .50 and I was concerned that my bench time would be reduced since I wanted to be able to stay around 3600 if I chose to on the gun. I set the compressor to around 4100 and just about the time it was about to shut off, BAM! I've got 20 hours on the unit and it's about 4 years old.

So a simple fix, I hope. And I'm now loathe to run my equipment that high. I know I 'should' be able to, but it doesn't seem worth the risk/wear and tear on the equipment. It seems everyone but me has disc failures, blown fittings, compressor failures (mostly Yong Hengs), and it always seems to revolve around getting that last couple of hundred psi. 

Thanks again for steering me and I'm just sharing some of my usage data in the event that it may help someone else. Cheers!

"when 3800 to 4000 (the highest I'd gone until recently) more than gets it done"

Maybe for some, but not for all.

"disc failures, blown fittings, compressor failures (mostly Yong Hengs)"

Many have used the "Yong Hengs" without issue and I truly doubt that "everyone but me" has experienced disc or fitting failures. I still use a 3 year old Yong Heng to fill to 4400.

Don't get all butt hurt. A Yong Heng is not a Hill, just like a Benjamin is not an FX, and a Tasco isn't a Hawke. I could have phrased it better so as not offend anyone, so I will: 

"Most of the discussions around failures (disk or otherwise) and HPA compressors seem to be about Yong Hengs. This is probably due to a couple of factors. 1) Yong Hengs are very popular and easy to own in the price bracket and a YH is still better than paying for fills or hand pumping. So naturally the YH is a great starter unit that allows an individual to allocate more funds to the necessary things like guns, scopes, and portable tanks. 2) Some have had long term success maintaining their YH, however those individuals for the most part are skilled enough to modify and/or repair the unit themselves. They're made cheap with cheap parts. However, you can buy 4 or 5 YH's (or something like that) for the cost of a mid-range (AV or Omega) compressor."

Does everyone feel better? I'm glad your ways work for you. We all do different things, I will be steadfast in this - no 'one' of us knows more than all of us. I have been given some terrible advice over the years via forums on airguns and it cost me a lot of money and even ruined some equipment. 

"Now go home and get your %^&*ing shine box!"

Just kidding