• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Air Venturi Air Venturi Avenger, Spiraling Pellets, Lil' Help Please

Hey peoples how's everyone doing. I just got into PCPs about 3 weeks ago. I picked up a Gamo Arrow and it shoots great using Crosman Premier 14.3g .22 hollow points. I decided to grab an Avenger, DonyFL 1/2 20 UNF adapter/barrel stabilizer, Tanto moderator, Saber Tactical upgraded pic rails and a descent compressor. I finished putting it all together, filled her to about 3500 PSI and took it out. I'm shooting the same 14.3g Crosman hollow points I shoot from my break barrels and from my Gamo Arrow, and I can see the pellet start to spiral at about 20 yards. I'm only shooting to 50 at the most, 9 times out of 10. At 50 I'm having to hold down 2 mil in my scope and left 1mil. The pellets land right on top of each other, nearly. I tried dropping the regulator down to 1300 PSI and no preload tension on the HS to 1 1/2 turn in on the HS. Also, many 1/4 turns between. I couldn't get the velocity below 880. Do I need to run a heavier pellet to get rid of the spiraling. None of my other guns spiral at all that I can see and hold excellent groups. Sub MOA at 50 yards so 1/2" groups. If a heavier pellet is the answer does anyone have any recommendations? There are so many choices. Oh, to add, I clean my pellets, dry them well and lube them with REM Oil. A very thin coat, they aren't dripping wet with lubrication. I don't know, I've found cleaning and lubing like this works very well for me. Thanks

Reactions: Hapo
What is this "good enough for an airgun" stuff you keep saying though? As a tool, it is only useful if it's accurate. I guess I don't see a single bit of difference myself 🤷

As a gunsmith, why are you watching amateur's YouTube videos on how to crown an airgun barrel? Forgive me but this doesn't really add up. If you're new at it, it's ok to say so. The way you're on about your tools it sounds like maybe you just got certified and just want to tell someone about it.

Certified don't always mean much. I went to MMI with a lot of people who are now certified motorcycle technicians that I wouldn't let work on my weed eater.

Not picking on you but again some of the stuff you're saying just doesn't make sense to me. Every gunsmith I have ever known, which is several, would already have that barrel chucked up.
A barrel is a barrel. No matter what it’s on. If it shoots a projectile, Elvis has to leave the building on two feet and not wobbling. How a gunsmith wouldn’t know this is beyond me but like you said, different circles.
I came looking for a little advice because I don't know everything about everything. I do know a lot of folks that do though, and life is difficult for them, so they take it out on others. Be more curious, it'll serve you well. Straight to defective barrel out of the gate. Great way to help someone troubleshoot something. Bullets and pellets leaving a barrel are stabilized very differently. Anyone into air guns longer than three weeks would know that I would think. I see no reason to have to explain my curiosity or credentials. Thanks, you all have a good evening.

• Haha
Reactions: GenXer
There’s nothing wrong with attending Google University. Unlike other forums, maybe it happens in firearm forums, we don’t generally have willy measuring contests. It’s just good to know someone’s true background and how they gained that knowledge. I would truly be wasting my time typing and Motorheads time reading if I responded to one of his topics with suggestions that he as a smith already knows. On the other hand, a Google gunsmith is still learning and any info can be good info. No hard feelings on my part. We all continue to learn no matter how smart or qualified we are. When I’m done learning in this hobby, I will move on. Maybe slingshots will perplex me next.

Your second paragraph is very important and often overlooked. I just went through it with a high end gun with high end barrel build. Just because you are in the “proper” speed window for what we think pellets like, doesn’t mean that how your gun is set to achieve that window speed is doing the pellet any favors.
The spiraling reared its ugly head again. Wasn't sure why. Stacey gave me the green light to disassemble the gun, letting me know it wouldn't void my warranty. Kind of important seeing I was having issues. I discovered the barrel wasn't properly seated into the receiver and the barrel grub screws were a bit loose for my taste. Simply re-seating the barrel took care of it. I'm finding I can run several different tunes and pellet weights now, and the pellet flies in a nice straight arc like it's supposed to. I found a happy spot at 2000 PSI and +2.25 on the hammer spring. She is whistling dixie now. Extreme spread on the shot string is 6FPS and averaging 883FPS with H&N Match 21.14g pellets. So glad that worked out well. Thanks to everyone who was supportive and helpful. Glad I didn't send my gun back for a "faulty" barrel.

Shooting straight now boys and girls.

IMG_3803.JPG

...should have bought a Ghost...that would be understandable...(grin)
Copy paste;

The spiraling reared its ugly head again. Wasn't sure why. Stacey gave me the green light to disassemble the gun, letting me know it wouldn't void my warranty. Kind of important seeing I was having issues. I discovered the barrel wasn't properly seated into the receiver and the barrel grub screws were a bit loose for my taste. Simply re-seating the barrel took care of it. I'm finding I can run several different tunes and pellet weights now, and the pellet flies in a nice straight arc like it's supposed to. I found a happy spot at 2000 PSI and +2.25 on the hammer spring. She is whistling dixie now. Extreme spread on the shot string is 6FPS and averaging 883FPS with H&N Match 21.14g pellets. So glad that worked out well. Thanks to everyone who was supportive and helpful. Glad I didn't send my gun back for a "faulty" barrel.

As you can see this issue ended up being solved in a simple way, not bad for a airgun that cost $500.00 dollars however the issue those expensive BRK Ghost has is much more serious and complicated since although has a premium price of $2,3000 dollars, it seems incredible its barrel is not designed to shoot with slugs. In my opinion this is a very serious design flaw for a airgun that has such a high price, don’t you think??? If one of his oem mags cost as much as $119.00 dollars each, that is a ripoff then I don’t even want to imagine how much more the barrel its manufacturer is currently designing with different specs to be used with slugs would cost….😱😳.

Last edited:
Copy paste;

As you can see this issue ended up being solved in a simple way, not bad for a airgun that cost $500.00 dollars however the issue those expensive BRK Ghost has is much more serious and complicated since although has a premium price of $2,3000 dollars, it seems incredible its barrel is not designed to shoot with slugs. In my opinion this is a very serious design flaw for a airgun that has such a high price, don’t you think??? If one of his oem mags cost as much as $119.00 dollars each, that is a ripoff then I don’t even want to imagine how much more the barrel its manufacturer is currently designing with different specs to be used with slugs would cost….😱😳.
Does it shoot pellets well? It's my understanding and I could be mistaken but aren't some manufactures designing there guns around a particular type of projectile? Doesn't explain the outrageous prices. One would think a gun in that price range would be able to fire slugs. That being said I have 0 experience with airgun slugs. However, TBA.

Last edited:
...I'm just glad '007 didn't have to send his gun back...it looks great...

...it must have been very satisfying to be able to fix it like that...

View attachment 437430
I think it's a beautiful gun with the colorful wooden stock. One of the main reasons I pulled the trigger on it. Thanks for the complement. Yes, I'm very satisfied that I was able to fix it and not jump the gun and send it back.