Air Venturi Air Venturi Avenger, Spiraling Pellets, Lil' Help Please

Hey peoples how's everyone doing. I just got into PCPs about 3 weeks ago. I picked up a Gamo Arrow and it shoots great using Crosman Premier 14.3g .22 hollow points. I decided to grab an Avenger, DonyFL 1/2 20 UNF adapter/barrel stabilizer, Tanto moderator, Saber Tactical upgraded pic rails and a descent compressor. I finished putting it all together, filled her to about 3500 PSI and took it out. I'm shooting the same 14.3g Crosman hollow points I shoot from my break barrels and from my Gamo Arrow, and I can see the pellet start to spiral at about 20 yards. I'm only shooting to 50 at the most, 9 times out of 10. At 50 I'm having to hold down 2 mil in my scope and left 1mil. The pellets land right on top of each other, nearly. I tried dropping the regulator down to 1300 PSI and no preload tension on the HS to 1 1/2 turn in on the HS. Also, many 1/4 turns between. I couldn't get the velocity below 880. Do I need to run a heavier pellet to get rid of the spiraling. None of my other guns spiral at all that I can see and hold excellent groups. Sub MOA at 50 yards so 1/2" groups. If a heavier pellet is the answer does anyone have any recommendations? There are so many choices. Oh, to add, I clean my pellets, dry them well and lube them with REM Oil. A very thin coat, they aren't dripping wet with lubrication. I don't know, I've found cleaning and lubing like this works very well for me. Thanks

Reactions: Hapo
Hey peoples how's everyone doing. I just got into PCPs about 3 weeks ago. I picked up a Gamo Arrow and it shoots great using Crosman Premier 14.3g .22 hollow points. I decided to grab an Avenger, DonyFL 1/2 20 UNF adapter/barrel stabilizer, Tanto moderator, Saber Tactical upgraded pic rails and a descent compressor. I finished putting it all together, filled her to about 3500 PSI and took it out. I'm shooting the same 14.3g Crosman hollow points I shoot from my break barrels and from my Gamo Arrow, and I can see the pellet start to spiral at about 20 yards. I'm only shooting to 50 at the most, 9 times out of 10. At 50 I'm having to hold down 2 mil in my scope and left 1mil. The pellets land right on top of each other, nearly. I tried dropping the regulator down to 1300 PSI and no preload tension on the HS to 1 1/2 turn in on the HS. Also, many 1/4 turns between. I couldn't get the velocity below 880. Do I need to run a heavier pellet to get rid of the spiraling. None of my other guns spiral at all that I can see and hold excellent groups. Sub MOA at 50 yards so 1/2" groups. If a heavier pellet is the answer does anyone have any recommendations? There are so many choices. Oh, to add, I clean my pellets, dry them well and lube them with REM Oil. A very thin coat, they aren't dripping wet with lubrication. I don't know, I've found cleaning and lubing like this works very well for me. Thanks
Possibly a defect or some swarf in the rifling in the barrel.

Possibly a defect or some swarf in the rifling in the barrel.
Not exactly what I wanted to hear. New gun broke :( I ordered some 21.54g and 19g pellets to try out. I'll have them tomorrow. If they spiral as well and I can't tune it out I really hope you're wrong, LOL, but I might have to call Stacey if that's the case. I have a bore scope. I'm going to have a look now.

Not exactly what I wanted to hear. New gun broke :( I ordered some 21.54g and 19g pellets to try out. I'll have them tomorrow. If they spiral as well and I can't tune it out I really hope you're wrong, LOL, but I might have to call Stacey if that's the case. I have a bore scope. I'm going to have a look now.
If they're spiraling it's not something you can tune out it's almost always something wrong. You might trick yourself into thinking it's better with different pellets but spiraling is no bueno. Shoot it without the moderator and see what happens.

Reactions: DesertSilver
If they're spiraling it's not something you can tune out it's almost always something wrong. You might trick yourself into thinking it's better with different pellets but spiraling is no bueno. Shoot it without the moderator and see what happens.
The barrel looks good to me. Nothing stands out. If there is something wrong, it is what it is. At least it's under warranty.

Joe,
Had same problem with a new JTS Airacuda Max. Pellets are self-stabilizing, like a badminton shuttlecock, shoot too fast or impart too much spin, they spiral. Other reason for spiral is a damaged pellet trying, but unable, to self-stabilize. Mine was second problem, factory worker failed to tighten shroud bolt on 5-part baffle/stripper assembly, pellet smashed against, exiting deformed. Good idea to try heavier pellet, very hard to beat JSB 18.1 grain, world famous for accuracy. Best of Luck, WM

I would suggest cleaning the brand new barrel.
Run a patch or 5 through it, and clean it really well.
Then fire about 20 to 30 pellets through it, and then re-examine the accuracy.
I suspect the barrel is either;
1. Dirty from the factory with manufacturing oils/grease.
2. Not yet "seasoned" enough, with your prefered pellet of choice.
Take your favorite pellet, fire 20 to 30 of them through it, and I suspect it will be much better.

Reactions: joeyw007
Joe,
Had same problem with a new JTS Airacuda Max. Pellets are self-stabilizing, like a badminton shuttlecock, shoot too fast or impart too much spin, they spiral. Other reason for spiral is a damaged pellet trying, but unable, to self-stabilize. Mine was second problem, factory worker failed to tighten shroud bolt on 5-part baffle/stripper assembly, pellet smashed against, exiting deformed. Good idea to try heavier pellet, very hard to beat JSB 18.1 grain, world famous for accuracy. Best of Luck, WM
Thanks will be doing so today. I'll keep you posted.

Reactions: WorriedMan
I would suggest cleaning the brand new barrel.
Run a patch or 5 through it, and clean it really well.
Then fire about 20 to 30 pellets through it, and then re-examine the accuracy.
I suspect the barrel is either;
1. Dirty from the factory with manufacturing oils/grease.
2. Not yet "seasoned" enough, with your prefered pellet of choice.
Take your favorite pellet, fire 20 to 30 of them through it, and I suspect it will be much better.
Do it with every new gun, very carefully, then every time I open a new tin of pellets as well. I wish that were it. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: Airgun Al
The only things I could come up with were over rotation from too much velocity, bolt probe not perfectly centered, or damage. I've inspected the rifle very well and all I could find was the slightly off-center bolt probe. Doesn't cant the pellet though so not sure that's it. Heavier pellets are coming today. Weather permitting we'll see. Open to any suggestions. Thanks so much guys.

Reactions: WorriedMan
I find Crosman pellets to be pretty inconsistent but I have not tried the new single die pellets. 880 fps shouldn't be too fast but if you are having to greatly reduce the hammer spring to get to that velocity is suggests the regulator needs to be reduced if you want to shoot a pellet that light. Heavier pellets is the other way to slow things down. I think H&N pellets are as well made as JSB and several of my guns prefer them. The H&N Baracuda Match is the best pellet I have found for my P35-22. 21 grains. But I agree that JSB 18s are worth trying. Either will be more consistent and tend to shoot better than Crosmans in my experience.

Anybody who doesn't think spiraling is related to the tune should review the videos by Ted's holdover. He's pretty convinced it is and since he's won major 100y target shooting contests I tend to listen to him. But 880 shouldn't be too fast except perhaps if the wind is high. But putting the gun into a tune it doesn't like to get there seems like a risk too.

Reactions: DesertSilver
Anybody who doesn't think spiraling is related to the tune should review the videos by Ted's holdover. He's pretty convinced it is and since he's won major 100y target shooting contests I tend to listen to him.
I respect that opinion but every single time I've worked on a rifle that made the pellets spiral, which is several times, a new barrel is what it took to fix it so I'm going to continue to go with my own hands on experience vs. 'a guy on YouTube said' when I make suggestions.

Last edited: