• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Air Venturi Avenger Mods

Just want to share some mods I have done to my AVA. Yes people will say I did the crowning on the wrong end it's because I want to improve round feeding and the other end already has a slight chamfer on it already from the factory, grinding it would make cleaning up much difficult.

I started out with AE Swede's starter pack: shroud adapter + bottle adapter and tube block off + plenum
I bought the bottle regulator from aliexpress now they are available on his website as well.

Capture.PNG

s-l500.jpg

plenum.png

3.PNG

I didn't feel like going all "tacticool" by wasting $150 on a couple thin pieces and the chassis isn't aesthetically appealing to me either. I'm not affiliated with Aaron by any means but you can tell his stuff are well made(7075 aluminum will kick your butt if you try to drill it) at a very REASONABLE price. I have had several conversations with him and I found he's very knowledgeable and easy to work with. I understand people like hajimoto need to make profit to feed his family but his stuff is way overpriced and he promotes his products like they are the sh1t and they are better than the rest, anyways not a big fan of him.

I always keep budget in mind as this is a budget gun it doesn't make sense to throw $500 worth of parts to "upgrade" it, at the end of the day it'll just be a ricered out Honda compared to a well made Porsche like the Impact M3.

Everybody nowadays likes some CF stuff so I think for less than $30 why not then I bought some CF tubing for shroud and barrel. It just happened that the shroud is almost the same diameter as the stock one and the CF barrel tubing fits perfectly over the barrel. I epoxy'd the tubing to the barrel for more rigidity.

IMG-3207.JPG

After I installed his kit I wanted to make a reinforcement block that would shroud the port sections together as I didn't have a barrel band in the front at the time. It took me 40 hours of R&D and 6 iterations to finally make it fit like a glove.
IMG-2978.jpg

IMG-3190.JPG

Top 3 holes for shroud venting
IMG-3192.JPG

And I also 3D printed new barrel dampeners to keep it centered.

IMG-3193.JPG

IMG-3149.PNG

As I have mentioned above it's a budget gun so I made my moderator with a Costco soda bottle with some closed cell foam around a PVC tubing, it worked surprisingly well. For the bipod it's the same story just a couple sections of PVC tubing with street elbows nothing special.

IMG-3114.JPG

Now that the front is rock solid I moved my focus to increasing the air flow. I port matched the barrel port to the same size as the transfer port(whatever size your drill bit will fit into your transfer port that's the size I used). I did not want to fully take the receiver apart to work on the transfer port from the block as the top portion is threaded to open it up you will ruin the threads and have to tap for bigger size threads. I don't feel confident in doing this much work on a casted piece so I only worked on the barrel instead, honestly for a 22cal I think this will be enough.
IMG-3208.JPG

IMG-3209.JPG

The final mod that I just finished was to fill the buttstock with silicone rubber to dampen the echo from the cheap plastic. But in order to do that I hot ironed around the logo to lay down a bead of epoxy as it was leaking water when I tested it.

IMG-3172.jpg

This silicone rubber kit worked great. You don't necessarily have to use a vacuum chamber like I did as the kit states the mix will degas by itself I'm just doing it for extra insurance and finish.

0.jpg

1.JPG

If anyone wants to do this mod I suggest you keep the foam to save yourself some material and also to not make it overly rear heavy.
2.jpg

This should wrap up my adventure with my AVA. Now that I have my M3 on the way I don't think I will perform any more mods to this gun. As of how well it shoot and the statistics, I'd say it's as accurate as it can be at 50 yards, I detuned the regulator to only 1200psi, when at 2200psi it was shooting Crosman Premier Hollow Point Pellet .22 cal, 14.3 Gr @ ~850fps so I would guess it should be around 750fps now just don't have time to get it chrono'd.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THE PLATFORM FORMAT IS BUGGED THESE 3 PHOTOS ARE OUT OF ORDER IT WILL NOT SAVE MY CHANGES<<<<<<<<<<

IMG-3208.JPG

IMG-3191.JPG

IMG-3023.JPG

Last edited:
What an awesome use of plastic from the 3D printed parts to the PVC bipod!

I also implemented AE Swede parts over Haji due to price and I don't have complaints other than the bottle adapter I got had trouble pushing the pin in on the 2nd (paintball) reg. I ended up taking out the pin in the 2nd reg so it was always fully open. In addition i drilled out the hole in the bottle adapter cause it seemed small to me. Well, I also polished the washers in both my regs so all that helped fill the plenum too. Very noticeable refill noise now, not slow. My 2nd reg was from ebay. "4.5k in 3k out". It's at like.. 2.5k out now? after polishing. But that's OK, I have my stock reg set to ~2k and shoot 18.13 around 30 FPE. Im a little surprised to see CPHP only were at 850fps at 2.2k reg for you. On mine if i shoot those it is around 950 and they whistle going down range.. so you must have low HS setting to only get 850fps at 2.2k with a power plenum. Im at 2.5HS.

If AE Swede made an updated bottle adapter it should have flats for a wrench. I messed mine up a bit cause it was spinning when the bottle was being put on too. I covered it with grip tape stuff and you can't tell. The hole may be OK size just my reg may have had a short pin or something. Idk.
But I'm glad to see other people have good luck using AE Swede parts too. I have the Doux power plenum which can use the stock de gas screw unlike AE design. But how often are you gonna do that? So that's OK. Also use his 18 shot .22 mags. Very good. Never jammed on me with 1k+ pellets. I use a bottle band from him too but I should have measured my bottle cause his bands are 61 or 63mm and apparently mine is 60mm so I have a spacer. Probably works better on a 61mm bottle. Also have the AE barrel nut support like you. Solid.

Let us know what you think after shooting yours "economy style" at ~750fps. I'd love to hear shot count. Mine is roughly 90 or so from 4k to 2k psi so I bet you'd easily get 150 shots!

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Not to take away from you excellent work, Mine shoots just fine right out of the box. Reg set at 1900 psi. Hammer tuned to shoot JSB 15s at 905 fps. Get 80 shots per fill. Near one hole groups at 25 yds and “it will kill”. Some reg creep, but for the price, who cares. You did a fantastic job modifying yours. Glad you love it.

My 3 Avengers have no mods except for a 3D printed suppressor and some LDC adapters.

The Nova Vista made airguns I have (Avenger, Nova Liberty, Nova Freedom) are the best shooting airguns I have, better than other ones I have (Kral NP03, Benjamin Akela, Gamo Urban, Beeman 1358, etc).

They shoot well out of the box and never felt like they needed anything.

I get at least 80 shots from each of them.

Reactions: Godlike1125

I also implemented AE Swede parts over Haji due to price and I don't have complaints other than the bottle adapter I got had trouble pushing the pin in on the 2nd (paintball) reg. I ended up taking out the pin in the 2nd reg so it was always fully open. In addition i drilled out the hole in the bottle adapter cause it seemed small to me. Well, I also polished the washers in both my regs so all that helped fill the plenum too. Very noticeable refill noise now, not slow. My 2nd reg was from ebay. "4.5k in 3k out". It's at like.. 2.5k out now? after polishing. But that's OK, I have my stock reg set to ~2k and shoot 18.13 around 30 FPE. Im a little surprised to see CPHP only were at 850fps at 2.2k reg for you. On mine if i shoot those it is around 950 and they whistle going down range.. so you must have low HS setting to only get 850fps at 2.2k with a power plenum. Im at 2.5HS.

If AE Swede made an updated bottle adapter it should have flats for a wrench. I messed mine up a bit cause it was spinning when the bottle was being put on too. I covered it with grip tape stuff and you can't tell. The hole may be OK size just my reg may have had a short pin or something. Idk.
But I'm glad to see other people have good luck using AE Swede parts too. I have the Doux power plenum which can use the stock de gas screw unlike AE design. But how often are you gonna do that? So that's OK. Also use his 18 shot .22 mags. Very good. Never jammed on me with 1k+ pellets. I use a bottle band from him too but I should have measured my bottle cause his bands are 61 or 63mm and apparently mine is 60mm so I have a spacer. Probably works better on a 61mm bottle. Also have the AE barrel nut support like you. Solid.

Let us know what you think after shooting yours "economy style" at ~750fps. I'd love to hear shot count. Mine is roughly 90 or so from 4k to 2k psi so I bet you'd easily get 150 shots!
I tried to drill the AE's plenum and made a bleed screw myself only to find out it's hard not to make it leak so I had to tighten my screw up a lot so now a convenient mod has become a drag but it's ok I followed his suggestion by bleeding from the pressure gauges and it actually works well.

I didn't buy his bottle band even though it's printed with high quality stuff is because I don't use the rails much as I have super clamp if I need to attach something to my gun and I have to pay extra money for a decent bipod to utilize the rail so it's probably going to be another $150-200 including his band, which doesn't make a lot sense to me or my wallet.

750 is just by GUESStimation as I don't waste 50 rounds for the sake of numbers, also my poppet is currently leaking from barrel so it doesn't matter to me how many shots I can get because I'll probably have to air it up 2 days later anyways.

Not to take away from you excellent work, Mine shoots just fine right out of the box. Reg set at 1900 psi. Hammer tuned to shoot JSB 15s at 905 fps. Get 80 shots per fill. Near one hole groups at 25 yds and “it will kill”. Some reg creep, but for the price, who cares. You did a fantastic job modifying yours. Glad you love it.
Mine did too out of the box with no creeping at all. I haven't even touch the hammer spring ever. It's just like getting a great deal on a car and you can't help slowly dump money into it starting with a cold air intake.

Alright per request I did a sloppy chrono on my moded AVA. The result is better than I expected but the data is kinda sus, either my cheap chrono is a bust or I have God pull the trigger.

Here are the apparatuses:
1.JPG

3.jpg

Bottle was filled at around 3200psi, bottle regulator is maxed at 2400psi and the regulator is set at 1200psi.
6.jpg
7.JPG

2.jpg

First shot starts at #15 and last round is #24.
4.jpg

5.jpg

I was too lazy to weigh each pellet so I used the average mass for the following calculation. It's not rocket science and every round is bound to weigh differently.
AVA.PNG

Expired a squirrel in the process, 32 yard, dead on, instant kill.

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1

Hey? You mean like this? I make these.

20220905_105413.jpg

Excellent Post! lots of good info here. I would like to add a small tidbit regarding Crowning the Barrel.

These barrels are cut off using a Wire EDM Machine. The result is as close to a perfect 90 degree cut as is possible right now. All of the lands and grooves are exactly the same length. Messing with that will only degrade what is there already.

Randy

Excellent Post! lots of good info here. I would like to add a small tidbit regarding Crowning the Barrel.

These barrels are cut off using a Wire EDM Machine. The result is as close to a perfect 90 degree cut as is possible right now. All of the lands and grooves are exactly the same length. Messing with that will only degrade what is there already.

Randy
Guess I dodged a bullet on that.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Update on accuracy and shot count<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I filled up the gun to 4250 psi, regulator is set at 1200 psi with stock hammer spring position:
IMG-3282.JPG

shooting cheapo amazon special 14.3 gr pellets
IMG-3283.JPG

After I dispatched a couple ground squirrels at close range I decided to test the targets I set up at 55 and 70 yards. I used 3.5" skillets to make the makeshift suspended targets. Shooting position is sitting unsupported.
Capture.PNG

InkedIMG-3286.jpg

Plenty of dings shooting back and forth between the targets:
IMG-3284.JPG

IMG-3285.JPG

After a total of 126 shots the tank pressure is currently sitting at 2250 psi. I think I'll get another 40 or so consistent shots before I have to refill the gun.

IMG-3280.JPG

Your estimation is dead on!

Reactions: EmptyTin_Tim
Yes sir like those! Lol I'm sure that's harder to make with the flats vs just spinning it smooth on a lathe but the flats would make such a great upgrade.
Turning either round or hex is no different really. The hex makes them easier to get on and off tight. You also don't scratch them up as bad when fitting / removing them........ plus they just look good.

Reactions: EmptyTin_Tim
My inserts are designed around the carbon sleeve. It’s no use to you unless you can modify it in CAD or you are using the same tubing.
I’ve got a couple different sizes of CF coming after reading another member’s write up on reinforcing the barrel. The plan was to layer them up to an O-ring’s width from the shroud but this post has intrigued me. I’d be happy to give your dampers a shot if you’re ok with it.