Air Venturi Avenger advice/warnings

Hello all,

My stepdad has shown a lot of interest in my PCP airguns. He has a spring piston, which has been giving him some issues, and he likes the idea of a pre-charged, but isn't really into the idea of spending a lot of money on one and then on spending a bunch of money on a fill source (a hand pump is out of the question).

I have ordered a wood stocked Air Venturi Avenger in .22 to give him for his birthday. After seeing that they can be tuned to a 90-120 shot fill, I realized that would be perfect for him, since I am over at my folks' place at least weekly, and I can bring my Nomad II and top it off for him. I can't imagine he will be making more than 100 shots a week and, if he does, then he is probably going to be enjoying it enough to get his own air source. I am putting a UTG side focus 3-12 Bugbuster on the Avenger, and ordered a mono core air stripper that fits in the shroud and supports the barrel. This is mostly for accuracy, but it might drop the noise a bit. If he is using it a lot and want super quiet, I can point him in the direction of DonnyFL. I also ordered a Black Arts barrel band set.

I will tune it up for high shot count with lighter pellets and make sure it is in good working order, and would like to know what I should keep an eye out for.

Any common issues people would advise me to look out for with an Avenger? Things that commonly need replacing? Things that come loose that need loktite? Etc...

Thanks,

-pg

In my experience with one, there seems to be an issue known by the sellers that the hammer spring adjusting screw can sometimes arrive 'frozen'. And it is turned by a small hex key where even if you use a quality tool the screw is so frozen that you feel like you will break it if you try to turn it any harder. My recommendation would be to test it upon receipt - turn it 1/4 turn and back, just to make sure it is freely moving. If not and it you bought the gun from PA, you can return it and they will pay the return shipping. If you don't find out about it until later when you try to turn it and can't you will need to pay for return shipping for repair.

I have the Black Arts barrel band set on mine (wood stock) and he will need to be careful how he sets it down. The band is not real tight. If you wrench on the set screws to tighten it down, they back out of the plastic. No biggee, but just be careful. I have had mine drift poi left to right when band moved. Perhaps just leave the factory band in place and forego the Black arts one? I tuned mine down to 1400 psi for the 15 grain JSB and those shoot great out to 50 yards on a low wind day. The hammer spring screw issue is discussed on AEAC and once you get it to travel all the way in both directions will not give you any problems. I also found the two sections of plastic picatinny were not aligned exactly so I found a 1 piece mount on Amazon that fits the front picatinny section exactly. So there are now no issues with scope alignment. Otherwise a great choice for him.

I like my .22 Avenger but the pellets engage the rifling pretty hard. Troy Hammer will be offering custom designed drop in TJ's barrels for the .22 Avenger soon. The barrels should be great for slugs as well. https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/dont-feel-left-out/

I think the Avenger is a great platform since there are so many mods and upgrades for it. You can get into PCPs fairly cheap and then do the mods and upgrades to make your cheap gun perform like the expensive ones.

@TMH Good to know that I have some time to return if the hammer spring adjustment can't be used properly.

@DNF I was planning to use some silicone chamber oil on the first few fills to protect the internals from corrosion, glad to hear it will help the reg as well

@rsfrid How about using the black arts band in addition to the factory three-tube band? Think it would add a little extra stability against POI shifts? He won't likely be doing any major precision bench work, so I like rigidity to jostling over extreme free-float accuracy. I was planning to start with the scope rings the Bugbuster comes with, but I will have to see if things line up. How did you determine the alignment was off? Difference in left to right POI at different ranges?

@heavy-impact I am definitely tempted to get one for myself as well and customize the snot out of it, just because it would be fun. Please tell me no...

Thanks all

-pg

@rsfrid How about using the black arts band in addition to the factory three-tube band? Think it would add a little extra stability against POI shifts? He won't likely be doing any major precision bench work, so I like rigidity to jostling over extreme free-float accuracy. I was planning to start with the scope rings the Bugbuster comes with, but I will have to see if things line up. How did you determine the alignment was off? Difference in left to right POI at different ranges?

The two sections of picatinny were not aligned to each other (bubble levels determined that. As for two barrels bands, not sure you (he) would need that.

I have the Black Arts barrel band set on mine (wood stock) and he will need to be careful how he sets it down. The band is not real tight. If you wrench on the set screws to tighten it down, they back out of the plastic. No biggee, but just be careful. I have had mine drift poi left to right when band moved. Perhaps just leave the factory band in place and forego the Black arts one? I tuned mine down to 1400 psi for the 15 grain JSB and those shoot great out to 50 yards on a low wind day. The hammer spring screw issue is discussed on AEAC and once you get it to travel all the way in both directions will not give you any problems. I also found the two sections of plastic picatinny were not aligned exactly so I found a 1 piece mount on Amazon that fits the front picatinny section exactly. So there are now no issues with scope alignment. Otherwise a great choice for him.

Please share the make/model of the mount. Thanks.

Pg,

As mentioned below the plastic pic rails don’t line up well and as I also had trouble with running out of scope moa clicks I also replaced my pic rails with aftermarket aluminum ones. They had disappeared from eBay but I got a set from Pyramid Air.

Gen2 shouldn’t need a second bbl band. Many products out there to make it very quiet and some work very well as mine is 25cal and makes less dbs than my 22’s.

As to what you should keep an eye out for, it won’t be the gun but difficulty he may have adjusting to the pcp platform. Let him shoot it for a week or so and tell him not to play with any adjustments yet. Then you can get involved.

Has anyone had leaking overnight from 400 to 600 lbs. I've had my avenger for about 2 months and in warranty twice for air leaking advice is greatly appreciated 👍my reg. Is set to 1800 psi. And when I first got it and set it to that tune i was getting about 90 shots after warranty repair everything was the same but my shot count it dropped to 60 shots i have no idea why then it started leaking again now in warranty repair again what am I doing wrong.

Last edited:
Pg,

As mentioned below the plastic pic rails don’t line up well and as I also had trouble with running out of scope moa clicks I also replaced my pic rails with aftermarket aluminum ones. They had disappeared from eBay but I got a set from Pyramid Air.
I have 2 gen2 Avengers in .22 and both came with aluminum picatinny rails from the factory. They may look plastic but that's just a black coating over the aluminum.