• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Venturi Avenger .25 Damaged Barrel

Hello. Does anyone have the same problem? My Air Venturi Avenger .25 Barrel is Damaged by overtightening the screws from the factory. Any Advice?

20220623_020807.jpg

20220623_020839.jpg

20220623_021556.jpg

20220623_021642.jpg

I received one like that a while back and it shot terrible. When I scoped the barrel leading end, I found what you discovered in your barrel. I sent mine back to the seller for a replacement. I have several Avengers and that's the first thing I look for. I also pull the cocking lever back and forth to check for the pellet pusher rubbing inside the action. There is an adjusting screw for that underneath the Picatinny rail on top. When its rubbing it can cause premature probe O-ring wear. Good luck with your next one. Send it back!

Ouch! I have a .22 cal and I was concerned when I saw the combination of a thin barrel and cone-point set screws. If the .25 cal's barrel OD is the same as the smaller calibers, I'm not surprised they are ruining some.

Clear negligence on the part of the manufacturer so there should be no argument getting it replaced.

Anyway my .22 was okay but I blunted the tips before reinstalling the set screws to reduce the chance of a future mishap.

Ouch! I have a .22 cal and I was concerned when I saw the combination of a thin barrel and cone-point set screws. If the .25 cal's barrel OD is the same as the smaller calibers, I'm not surprised they are ruining some.

Clear negligence on the part of the manufacturer so there should be no argument getting it replaced.

Anyway my .22 was okay but I blunted the tips before reinstalling the set screws to reduce the chance of a future mishap.
You are 100% right! I also have .177 Avenger and the Barrel OD is the same... Poor QC.

Reactions: Crimson Mist
P-15, 22 & 25 caliber barrels suffered from the same issue and when installing the LW barrels which were smaller diameter and required shims, it compounded the problem.
-
Once those china guns leave the factory they could give a rats ass if it works.

My 22 Avenger is my best 10 meter Airgun but sounds bad when you shake it, kind of like a dime store being pushed off a cliff, both scope rails were very loose, trigger sucks also.

Bottom line it is a 300 dollar rifle,

Roachcreek

Reactions: InTimeZone
Crimsom Mist, I don't know if there is a 100% fix for the Avenger probe rubbing O-rings in the breech. But I put a polished bevel on the leading of my barrel to minimize cutting the O-ring upon entry into the barrel and a light polish in the lead. Do not overdo it, too much, those o rings will not seal correctly. If you run that probe adjusting screw down too much, the probe will be hard to move back and forth. I put a light coat of moly on tip of the probe and worked it back and forth. A dry lube of your choice may work like graphite, but be careful with petroleum additives. I'm sorry it took so long to respond. I had foot surgery and twice at that. Do not use Loctite on those small rail screws or you will run the risk of stripping the Allen head screws. I've been there.

I'm happy to share my experience with you Crimson Mist. I can identify with this whole article, even the barrel that In Time Zone showed. I never was so let down over an Avenger purchase until I ordered my first one in .25 caliber. My barrel was trashed but the wooden stock was beautiful with wood grain character. I tried everything I could from PA to purchase just the stock or as a parts gun and buy another one. Another thing about the probe on the Avengers, is they are designed with a little play for centering movement mounted by a pin in the back. Keep the o rings lubed. Happy Holidays!

Do not use Loctite on those small rail screws or you will run the risk of stripping the Allen head screws. I've been there.
Not directed at wendell I'm just sharing experience on the subject.

There are different types of thread locker for every screw size and situation. If you only have red and use that on everything that's a problem. In my opinion airguns don't need loctite at all. Any fastener you think may back off put a dot of Permatex Ultra Black RTV sealer on the treads and then store the tube in your freezer until next time you need it. This particular RTV leaves a coat of rubber in the threads that prevents the fastener rotating from vibration but still allows you to turn the fastener with ease. Guys tend to over tighten fasteners thinking it's better to be too tight than come loose but they do far more harm than good. Even if they don't strip threads or bend something they still stretch the threads or twist the fastener. Some have to learn the hard way. Don't be that guy.
2f6be204-8925-4018-a94a-93b636d1a0ed.c390684776c1c88f4a4c05182320d079[1].png

Last edited:
If you ever have a fastener frozen in place with thread locker, put the wrench on it and apply normal pressure while you heat the part preferably with a heat gun but a high powered soldering iron would work or a torch. Here's a chart with the holding temperature for common loctite types. I added the temp in F.
Once again I don't recommend loctite on airgun fasteners. This info if for removal should you encounter thread locker.
Loctite T -.png

Reactions: rsfrid