Air Venturi Avenger .22 vs. BSA Buccaneer Silentium .22

In moving into PCP's from the springer and nitro powered break-barrel rifles, I have narrowed my choices down to either the Air Venturi Avenger or the BSA Buccaneer Silentium based on reviews, research, and feedback.

It seems that the BSA is probably a better built rifle, but the Avenger can be adjusted more regarding the regulator. Both seem accurate, and the Avenger can fire pellets as well as slugs.

I recently had a DAR Gen II that I had to return because of early leaking issues; so, I do not necessarily want to get back into these again.

Does anyone have any preference regarding these 2 rifles? If so, why?

Thanks

I now have a Gamo Urban which is very similar to the BSA made in England and had also owned an Avenger for a short while.

In my own experience the Gamo Urban has alot better consistent accuracy than the Avenger I had that exhibited impact shifts. I did not want to spend any more money to buy the Donny adapter that was supposed to fix the wandering zero shifts. I paid $200 for a brand new in the box Avenger that was a second time warranty exchange replacement from a disgruntled owner.

The Avenger that I paid $200 for brand new really surprised me because of all the plastic every where even the receiver and cocking handle too. You will know what I mean if you buy the Avenger. 

I read about more issues regarding the Avenger than both of the Gamo Urban and BSA comboned and the Avenger is relatively new. 

I traded my Avenger in as is condition full disclosure with wandering accuracy impact shift for a scope.

If I were planning to keep the Avenger I would definitely lower the power close to its minimum to make it last reliably longer than average and use it with a low start fill pressure say 3000 pounds psi start fill pressure. I wouldn't be able to hand pump it higher anyway.

Figured get rid of it early enough before it could possibly leak or have regulator problems which is commonly posted on the forum and on you tube by many owners including some that got screwed over for warranty ask @Bnhappy. Feel really sorry for him. 

If you are lucky and get a trouble free Avenger that never fails early on or after the warranty expires I am really happy for you.

I don't have the money to throw away by praying or gambling and chasing potential future problems with parts not being available or poor customer service not even for the $200 I paid for mine.

It would probably be a big plus if you are mechanically inclined to fix PcP airguns yourself too which I am not. A brand new purchased PcP Airgun that leaks or have catastrophic failure or accuracy issues within the first 2 years is totally unacceptable in my opinion.

I would venture to guess that the BSA would be relatively trouble free as compared to the Avenger. Stuff made in England seems alot better quality than China.

I have a friend with a Benjamin Discovery must be around 6 to 8 years old zero issues. I bought a Maximus because of his Discovery reliability plus only 2000 pounds psi fill easy to use a hand pump. So far so good and an entry level PcP for under $150.

Last I heard Benjamin had a 5 year warranty and either sends replacement parts or a shipping label for warranty if needed.

It’s a decision between cheapness and speed versus quality but with no bells and whistles. The seeming advantages of one guns reg and power potential are achieved with poor quality components. I have a BSA and that’s why I had to try the Gamo Urban for my buddies son. The Gamo is not my BSA and that’s understandable because there’s about a $500 difference between them. But it shoots like my BSA and has been flat out reliable. If you decide on an Avenger, don’t chase big power, stay conservative. You should also familiarize yourself with ways to stop reg creep. You will be working on it and it’s not a simple well built gun that has screws and threads that don’t mind being disassembled like a BSA.

Personally I would do neither unless your budget was only allowing these two. I would look at Benji Cayden or a Kral Mega Series (assuming you don't want a bottle gun) great quality and neither really need a regulator but one can be easily added from huma should you feel you need one. Cayden is a great rifle and the Krals are also very nice. I own both you won't be disappointed,