• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Venturi Avenger 177 terrible accuracy?

It's a teeny little white polyurethane ball, about 2mm in diameter. Mine tried to get away when I loosened those screws, but I caught it. However, I didn't put it back because I wasn't sure how. My barrel band is now loose on my wooden stock Avenger, being held on only by the screw at the bottom. I don't know if that helps, hurts, or is a wash to the Avenger's chronic wandering POI problem.

I think the ball is an upgrade from the grub screws digging into the reservoir. All this talk has inspired me, and I might try to put it back this evening.

Hi Folks, im new to air guns in general (im a total nub) and recently got one of these Air Venturi Avengers in 177. I have only been shooting close range but recently I have been trying to stretch it out to 50 yards. So far my results have been less than satisfactory. I have shot 4 types of projectiles though it and only one has managed to making something resembling a group. I did just get a chrono and am still playing with it. 

The ammo so far:

H&N Silver Points 11.57gr - seems to shoot all over and i think actually hit the tip of my donnyFL Adapter. These were so bad that I stopped shooting them.

Seneca 16.1gr round nose - I have these running at about 870fps and sometimes these are "decent" but I get a lot of flyers.

Griffin Deep Hollow base 11gr slug - haven chronoed these yet but im guessing close to 1000fps. Many of these i cant even get on the target backboard at 50yards.

Griffin Flat base 13gr slug - these seem to be the best so far. These are running at 950fps with my current tune. I can make about fist sized group at 50 excluding the flyers. 

Thats what I've tried so far. Pretty terrible if you ask me. Whats known to work well in these guns?

Unless you have a fist like a barbie doll, that's simply unacceptable. Pellet contact with moderator is a possibility and trying a more formidable pellet is a possible solution. I'll also tell you with confidence, a cheap scope is a surefire way to spread groups. 

I have a few entry level guns that shoot satisfactory but not the boring type accuracy that my regulated fine barrel guns shoot......hope you get this resolved. 

Reactions: aroundlocks
Mines is a .22 Avenger Wood stock. Love at first site (shots). Hole in hole with multiple diabolo and pointed pellets, 35 yards. H&N Baracuda 21.14gr, H&N Baracuda18gr, - JSB Exact Jumbo 18gr, Jsb Hades and Jsb Jumbo diabolo15.89, Crosman Copper mags 14.4, Crosman Ultra magnum 14.3, Crosman Ultra Premier Domed 19gr.

That is where the love fest ends! When I moved into slugs it was a nightmare in this gun. I could not believe I was shooting the same gun! I couldn't even tell where I was hitting the target or even IF I was hitting the target. I had to move to a larger target and move the target closer! Once I could finally see the shots (using splatter burst targets) I found the groups at 25 yds were 4 - 6 inches and in all directions! I assumed the diameter of my Slug HPs was too big (.218 while all on YouTube were using .216 & .217). I acquired some .216 JSB Knockouts (25.39gr) with no change and then I purchased the NSA .217 17.5gr slugs.

Contacted Steve (AEAC) and he directed me to his Avenger review and suggested I try the slugs at fps 765 - 950. After trying hundreds of slugs at dozens different adjustments I am calling it quits on the slugs. It is worth noting that I notice the slugs leaving my barrel at multiple angles from shot to shot and some even flying sideways?!

Also I contacted PA who directed my to AV to see if they have suggestion or would be willing to look at the gun under warranty,

If you have any input into this issue please let me know.

It's a teeny little white polyurethane ball, about 2mm in diameter. Mine tried to get away when I loosened those screws, but I caught it. However, I didn't put it back because I wasn't sure how. My barrel band is now loose on my wooden stock Avenger, being held on only by the screw at the bottom. I don't know if that helps, hurts, or is a wash to the Avenger's chronic wandering POI problem.

I think the ball is an upgrade from the grub screws digging into the reservoir. All this talk has inspired me, and I might try to put it back this evening.

I totally lost those balls. I knew i heard something hit the ground when i took it off! there is no way they weren't sucked up by my roomba and disposed of by now.... Wonder where I can get some replacements.

But I think the triple clamp might not be so good in general. I noticed that this gun is very sensitive to anything touching the barrel. The way I have my gun now with no triple clamp and a barrel band on the shroud and main air tube seems to be pretty good. Much better than just that triple clamp. 

IMG_5600.1632281282.jpg

I did have a rear mount bi-pod on it that was mounted to the m-lok rails on the chassis, but i took it off since having a bipod that far back, although makes the gun very easy to point, makes it less stable overall and harder to shoot longer ranges. 

So, with my regulator turned down to 1400 psi and my hammer spring all the way out, i can get about 900 fps with a 10.5gr pellet. but i noticed that if i let the gun sit for a little, it will bleed past the regulator and then stabilize at 1600. 1400 is below the min setting, im guessing thats the issue - its simply out of range. I think i would need a lighter hammer spring or something to be consistent with these lighter pellets. Anyone else experience this?

Reactions: .20calguy
Hi Folks, im new to air guns in general (im a total nub) and recently got one of these Air Venturi Avengers in 177. I have only been shooting close range but recently I have been trying to stretch it out to 50 yards. So far my results have been less than satisfactory. I have shot 4 types of projectiles though it and only one has managed to making something resembling a group. I did just get a chrono and am still playing with it.

The ammo so far:

H&N Silver Points 11.57gr - seems to shoot all over and i think actually hit the tip of my donnyFL Adapter. These were so bad that I stopped shooting them.

Seneca 16.1gr round nose - I have these running at about 870fps and sometimes these are "decent" but I get a lot of flyers.

Griffin Deep Hollow base 11gr slug - haven chronoed these yet but im guessing close to 1000fps. Many of these i cant even get on the target backboard at 50yards.

Griffin Flat base 13gr slug - these seem to be the best so far. These are running at 950fps with my current tune. I can make about fist sized group at 50 excluding the flyers.

Thats what I've tried so far. Pretty terrible if you ask me. Whats known to work well in these guns?
You need to get better ammo. I would suggest the nsa .178 slugs. I own a .177 bullpup and a standard air venturi avenger in. 177. And they both shot the nsa 12.5gn slugs very well. @ 900 fps

A friend of mine bought a 177 Avenger that would not shoot Knockout slugs well at any speed. It was a laser with JSB and HN pellets though. It did develop pretty bad reg creep and he traded it in for a 22 cal. Another issue with the 177 was the speeds, we couldnt get them to shoot slow enough with any consistency. So it was kind of a mixed bag, great depending on what you want out of it. So our group now has 2 Avengers in 22 cal, and I just ordered a wood stock 22 from PA last night so that makes 3.

You need to get better ammo. I would suggest the nsa .178 slugs. I own a .177 bullpup and a standard air venturi avenger in. 177. And they both shot the nsa 12.5gn slugs very well. @ 900 fps
I would suggest first clean your barrel. Then set your hammer low (no more than one turn in from all the way out). Drain the air, set the Reg low (around 1500 psi), now refill the gun to 3000 psi. Pick a 'standard' pellet (jsb, h&n, air arms) between 7 & 10 Grains. Most gun barrels are tested with jsb out of the factory I believe. Start your shooting session with the goal of moving your chosen pellet 850 - 900 fps (880 is ideal).

You should be able to get some decent groups at this point. If not, it may be time to look into the barrel band solution, or O ring delete, pellet probe bumper, or the Donny barrel adapter (Info on all of these solutions can be found on YouTube). If all fails it may be time for a call to the manufacturer.

Good luck

My Avenger 177 has a hard time with slugs also, the two lower grain NSA. I got my rifle tuned to 1500psi on the reg and one turn in from all the way out on the hammer. That's plenty for me now because most of my shooting is around 25 to 35 yards for rodent control. I got it putting the Rangemaster 13.43 and the JSB 10.34 into the same hole on paper. Got a chipmunk this morning with the Rangemaster and he didn't complain at all. We all know the wind can be a great factor in hitting your target also. Good luck with finding your pellet of choice . I've run over 40 or so through minds. The Crosman 10.5 box pellets do well also.
I have the same settings and the same gun. Mine preferes h&n baracudas. The JSB heavy 19.34 and the monsters 13.43. Very tight groups with those.

Hi Folks, im new to air guns in general (im a total nub) and recently got one of these Air Venturi Avengers in 177. I have only been shooting close range but recently I have been trying to stretch it out to 50 yards. So far my results have been less than satisfactory. I have shot 4 types of projectiles though it and only one has managed to making something resembling a group. I did just get a chrono and am still playing with it.

The ammo so far:

Seneca 16.1gr round nose - I have these running at about 870fps and sometimes these are "decent" but I get a lot of flyers.

Griffin Deep Hollow base 11gr slug - haven chronoed these yet but im guessing close to 1000fps. Many of these i cant even get on the target backboard at 50yards.

I remember I got a air venturi av wood 22 barrel was bend or leaning it clipped the baffles on my donny fx 22 25 suppresor sent it back an had it re-reamed, returned that gun that was that. But I suggest you try some other rounds like some jsb or even cheap crossmans as all the ones u shot are not known to be too accurate probably why those rounds are not too popular.

Reactions: Rasberryrl
1st thing I suggest is add the DonnyFL thread adapter , or there is a guy named Cameron here on AGN selling some 3d printed moderator/barrel support all in 1 .

Without either one of those your accuracy will Never be worth a damn.

I have mine shooting jsb 16.20 pellets at 920 fps , yeah she is pretty " Salty " ...

I spent many hours testing and tuning and with that combo i am now getting 3/8'" groups @ 33 yards and 1/2" @ 50 yards..

Let me know if i can help .
My av bullpup groups 1/2 inch at 50 yards with cmph .22 I spent like 300 of em tuning it in. 1900 reg .85 turns in on hammer.

I bought a 25 caliber Avenger earlier this year from Midway. More traditional airgun suppliers were out of stock. I got some H&N FTT pellets (My Prods favorite) and H&N Grizzly slugs. Both shot terribly. Like 2 inch groups at 25 yards. Then I tried JSBs and the gun shot much, much better.. Now that I've messed with the tuning I get lots of ~1/4 inch groups at 33 yards with FX 25.4s.

So I would test JSBs, if you can find them, or other pellets made by JSB like FX. My Prod was not nearly as pellet sensitive as my Avenger. It does not like JSBs very much but shoots cheap Crosman domed and hollow point OK and really likes copper plated H&N FTT.
Copper plate Baracuda's have been the best pellet so far, in my problem child, Gauntlet 2.

I've never used slugs, and some might be great at 50 yards. Based on my experience with both traditional air rifle barrels and firearm barrels, I think you will be lucky to get good results with slugs in most air rifle barrels. As for a standard power .177 shooting pellets, I've always found 50 yards to be a challenge. I have not spent a lot of time trying to find the best pellet and tuning for that distance, so maybe it's just me. But my point, maybe your expectations are a bit high.