Air Venturi 74 cu ft tank questions

I just got my first carbon fiber tank. It’s the Air Venturi 74 cu ft. How stiff should the valve be to turn? I have to hold the tank from spinning when I try to open or close the valve. Makes it very hard to control the flow when filling a gun. I’m not a big fan of the pressure gauge. Can I replace it with one of the back mounted gauges from Amazon? Or is there a better gauge option?

I just got my first carbon fiber tank. It’s the Air Venturi 74 cu ft. How stiff should the valve be to turn? I have to hold the tank from spinning when I try to open or close the valve. Makes it very hard to control the flow when filling a gun. I’m not a big fan of the pressure gauge. Can I replace it with one of the back mounted gauges from Amazon? Or is there a better gauge option?
I have the same tank. The valve is horrible, almost impossible to control the air flow. I sent the first one back and the replacement is only marginally better. I will probably replace the valve with something better.

If your having trouble filling the tank, It's the foster fitting is to tight. . Degass turn it maybe 1/2 turn and see if it flows better, If not degases again and loosen a little more.

I don’t know about making any alterations to it, but that Jubilee valve will likely remain that way. I’ve had one for a couple years and I still have to hold or secure the tank to crack the valve. Mine has loosened up over time in terms of turning th valve to fill incrementally. However, you may still need to secure the SCBA tank while turning that knob. I often use the ridge of my hand as a fulcrum. If this bothers you, it’s probably a good idea to replace the valve assembly.

I talked to Pyramid Air today and am waiting for a call back from tech support. If they agree to letting me try to adjust the valve tension without voiding the warranty I’ll give that a try. My next thought (besides returning the tank) would be to regulate the output to 3000 psi to prevent any over filling assuming I can buy a regulator at a reasonable price.

I looked into buying one of those tanks when PA had some "old stock" ones on sale a few months back, and I read a lot of reviews that said the valve behaved just as you described - and just like in posts 3 and 7 it does not get much better with use. Plus, as you say, the gauge is too basic for accurate filling. In the end I decided not to buy it due to the valve, so if you really don't like it and PA will take it back that is something to consider - a good valve is not that cheap, unless you are willing to go Chinese (and who knows how long those last) . . . I do have one of Brancato's slow flow valves on a Guppy, and that one is great to fill from - very easy to control the opening point, and even at "full blast" it is manageable, filling most guns (no more than 100 psi per second gain into 250 cc reservoirs at full speed).

Do know that if you regulate it, the regulator itself will "waste" a lot of air if you have to charge it up and vent it with each use - there is more space in those things than in a microbore hose on its own, and that space has to be charged with air that can't be used. If you have a valve after it, like an Edgun Easy fill, you at least won't have to vent it every fill, but each venting of the regulator is lost air (not a big deal if you fill yourself, but matters if filled at a dive shop). But that is getting as expensive as a new valve . . .

What I have been wondering is, what is it about the Air Venturi 2020 DOM SCBA tanks that separates them from other DOM Air Venturi SCBA tanks? Why do they seem to be the only ones discounted?
Maybe time left on hydro dates. Old stock vs . New . I never looked to see if any was dot or good luck china tanks ..lol

Pyramid Air called me back this morning. Very knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with and I am sorry I can’t remember the guys name off the top of my head but Pyramid Air should be proud of his response. He said the valves can sometimes be improved with pure silicone oil. Take the sticker off the knob and remove the knob. Then put the oil on the valve stem so it can work it’s way down on to the o-rings. He made notes of the call that he told me to try it and if it doesn’t work I can still return the tank. He also explained that the tanks are new but old stock. Also the gauge threads are 1/8 NPT
For anyone wondering my tank is absolutely spotless brand new. It was in a Air Venturi box with all the factory foam packing. For what I saved with the NOS price and the birthday discount I’m going to do everything I can to solve this valve issue before I return the tank. $320 shipped to my door is less than most 5-6 year old used tanks
I didn’t realize a regulator would use that much air. Hopefully silicone oil does the trick

Strange, I bought the same tank. The valve was happy when the tank was empty and frozen by 250 bar during the first fill. After the initial panic I remembered your post and finished the fill, leaving it tethered at 300 bar. With the knob removed I placed a couple of drops of Hill oil around the perimeter of the stem and let it sit for about an hour. The valve broke free with the cuff of a deerskin glove protecting the knob from the Knipex Cobra pliers required for leverage. I opened and closed the valve a few times to help distribute the oil. It's now a bit stiff but manageable, like the 100 cubic inch Wingman I purchased earlier this year. You may want try exercising the valve a bit.