• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Venturi 4500 psi problem

I was run my Air Venturi 4500 psi for the first time this afternoon. I ran the compressor for 10 minutes or so filling a 90 cu bottle. Then I started to top off a scuba bottle which was at 1500 llbs, The unit was doing fine, when it was close to finished I thought the temperature was a little high, 34 c. So I shut it down to cool it off. Maybe I was being over cautious. When I resumddc the compressor would not start. The water pump works but there is no power to the compressor. A spare fuse came with the unit, but since I have power I am not sure that is the problem. I found the breaker, not sure where the fuse goes anyhow. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks

34c is very low. Not sure why you think thats high. Even yong heng can run higher temp. You don't want it to go past 70c. From the sound of it, you didn't mention you bleed it off. That is the problem. When you manual shut off the compressor there is still pressure in the line. And you try to turn it back on against all the pressure it will not start. You need to turn off the compressor, then bleed the lines. Wait a few seconds and turn the compressor back on with the valve open. Wait a few seconds then close the bleed valve to build pressure again.

The only compressor I’ve witnessed that was turned on while pressured(gage read 4200 psi on fill whip) was an Alkin W31, a 2004 model with 32 hours on the clock. It Didn’t even stumble, shake, hesitate, cough, piss, or fart. It purred along like it had still been left running. That feature alone made me buy it. Bullet proof, as they say.

To restart a pressurized compressor at that level would mean immediate death to most others. I get it, not everyone can afford an Alkin. I wish the mid range compressors in the $1100 to $2000 range would have a fail safe built in that would protect it should a user accidentally turn it back on pressurized. These mid range priced compressors are within most folks’s budget. I think any compressor a thousand and up should have it.

The only one that I know that does is the Hatsan Lightning. Not only would it not come on, but a voice would tell you it’s not ready to turn on.

Glad no damage was done and it should be fine. Just scratch it off as a learning experience and always bleed the pressure off the the system before restarting. Another tip that is a good practice is that when you're near the auto shut off pressure and the unit is about to shut down on it's own close your bottle valve and without hesitation slightly open the bleeder at the bottom of the filter housing and let the compressor continue to run while you're depressing the system. Once the system has de-pressured and begin to cool down turn it off with the compressor switch. I think this saves a little wear and tear on the unit by not letting it shut down abruptly against pressure. Every little thing you can do extend the life of the unit or prevent a premature failure will help. 

Jking