• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Tank Question

I am new to airguns so I don't quite know that much about the sport. I received a tank today from a vendor and the guage appears to be leaking fluid. At first I thought there was just condensation in the box (don't know why as it's been hot out). But after a few minutes I realized that it wasn't water but oil. I also noticed that the guage seems to be slightly bent (see photo).
1596145421_4701776455f233f0d6f95e4.49285897.JPG

The vendor says it's normal and that I can go and get the tank filled. Is that correct?

If it is leakage from the rubber plug on the back of the gauge is the fill port for glycerin. Most gauges are a little under filled so there's a air bubble inside the gauge. This is to accommodate expansion and contraction due to temperature. I don't like the large of bubbles I sometimes get in gauges so I pull off the plug-in fill up the gauge is full as possible. And doing this I fully realize that if there's a lot of thermal expansion that it may be likely that the plug will leak some glycerin out. If your gauge has a very small bubble or absence of a bubble that makes plain the leak.

The bend doesn't seem normal and probably was an impact.

It depends on the construction of the gauge port and is it under pressure all the time. The one I disassembled the gauge was only Under Pressure during a fill and the gauge Port had a small orifice leading to the gauge port. Due to the small orifice even the gauge catastrophically failed the risk of severe injury is minimized. All this said I would say if it was a new tank I just bought I would ask for replacement gauge or complete assembly since it was either damaged before shipment or during shipping. Note that sealing the gauges threads are sometimes problematic if you want to do your own install. I just installed one and had to do it twice. Using a different thread sealant the second time. Started a slow leak at 2000 PSI.

More than likely it's just the glycerin leaking from the crack seal of the gauge, no biggy. The body of the gauge is the weekest link. I'd use it and just watch the gauge on the gun assuming you can either get it filled or fill it yourself and rely on the compressor or whatever your filling it from to determine what the tank pressure is. I'd hate to wait for a new gauge to get to shooting as long as you follow the hints above..... If you straighten up the gauge body does it show a believable pressure? Was it supposed to be shipped with some pressure in it already? To find out just crack (slightly open) the valve and see if there is any pressure present. That would be my first move. 

Jking

It was suppose to be shipped full...... but I guess they forgot. There is no air in the tank and I was able to take the valve completely off. To be honest, I’m almost tempted to pay an extra $160 just to get a new pump shipped overnight from a competitor to the company I bought the original pump from.

I can’t believe I bought a pump from this vendor.... paid for it.... then they sold it to someone else.... then to make up for it I’m in the middle of this tank mess. Should just ship everything back to them and tell them to F off.

This tank isn't mine. It's on loan from the vendor because I bought a hand pump, paid for it, then they sold the pump to someone else while I was waiting for the rifle to come in stock. Silly me thought paying for something would reserve the items on the list. As a compromise, the vendor decided to lend me the tank so I can use the rifle. I reluctantly accepted the tank but expressed my lack of knowledge in regards to tank ownership (as in 0 knowledge)

From reading above, it seems like all of the tanks no matter who it comes from has similar issues. I haven't checked the tank today, but when it arrived on my step the carrier placed it on it's side in the hot sun. I suspect, after reading the normalcy of this, that may have caused some of the issues. It has been sitting vertically in my closet since last night.

This is not a tank from CA. The tank was suppose to be full but when it when it showed up empty, wet and with the guage tilted as shown above. I wasn't sure if the package took a hit (no visible damage to the packaging at all) and caused the tank to lose pressure.

Vendor is sending a new valve assembly.... mostly because I think I can get the tank filled at a local paintball shop vs the dive shop that is 30 minutes away. As said above, I knew nothing about tanks and didn't even know that was an issue.

Damaged in shipping. I don't believe the carriers are malicious or lazy just overwhelmed at the moment. I purchased a used 90cu-in Ninja tank from an honest member here and received it damaged; the valve stem was slightly bent, the box damaged, and the hose whip cosmetically damaged the clear coat. The tank functions fine. Was the seller at fault? No.

I shipped an outer boxed Brocock Commander in a Plano hard box. It looks like the shipper threw it butt first, shifted the rifle inside of the stuffing, and caused the muzzle end to pop-open inside despite the fragile stickers all over it and it being pristine prior to being shipped.

Lets not be quick to attribute to malice what we can attribute to overwhelmed logistics issues. Looks like the gauge took a whack, scored the brass fitting, and is now leaking. I'd see about just getting a replacement gauge instead of returning the whole thing.

I don't want to be a member of the cancel culture :)