• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air tank question for my fellow PCPers

Guys,

I'm a first time PCP owner, and recently acquired an FX Impact MKII. Today I tried to fill my tank up for the first time, and was not successful. The issue seems to be that my tank (480 cc, carbon fiber construction) does not hold air by itself. The first indication that something was amiss was when I was unscrewing my tank from the gun, and l the pressure in the tank bled off. When I connected the 480 cc tank to my compressor via the Huma-Air adapter the manometer read 0 Bar. There was 100 Bar in the tank when it was connected to the gun.

I refilled the tank to 230 Bar, and when I went to bleed the line the entire contents of the tank bled out. I could tell because the body of the tank became cold to the touch. Not only that but when I disconnected the bottle it was still bleeding residual air pressure. My understanding is that the bottles are supposed to have valves that prevent air escaping. Am I missing something here?

I purchased the gun from Utah Airguns, and obviously I am going to give them a call on Monday, but is there anything else I can do in the meantime? I've only put one magazine through the gun, and I really like it!

Thanks,

Mike

Can you show us a couple of up close pictures of the bottle/valve area while disconnected from the air gun please? Yes, it does sound like the tank’s check valve. The reason I was asking for a picture is because sometimes if the bottle is attached to the gun very tightly, when you unscrew it, you can loosen the valve from the bottle just a little bit but enough to cause your type of problem. Although very rare, I have seen it happen more than once. Other than that or a bad tank valve, I don’t know.

Good luck and Happy New Year. Stoti

Can you show us a couple of up close pictures of the bottle/valve area while disconnected from the air gun please? Yes, it does sound like the tank’s check valve. The reason I was asking for a picture is because sometimes if the bottle is attached to the gun very tightly, when you unscrew it, you can loosen the valve from the bottle just a little bit but enough to cause your type of problem. Although very rare, I have seen it happen more than once. Other than that or a bad tank valve, I don’t know.

Good luck and Happy New Year. Stoti

My thought, too. Why take the bottle off the gun? Just refill the bottle through the gun's foster fitting.

All,

Thank very much for the feedback!

PerkyVal: I double, and triple checked the connections

Oledawg: Thank you for confirming. I'm going to shoot UA a line after this.

Odoyle: I appreciate the heads up. The reason I removed the bottle to fill it up is that the diameter of the quick-connector on the hose was a thousands too large for the diameter of the trigger guard opening of the fill port. It was a "Plan B" kind of thing. The bottle completely depressurized when I removed it from the gun for the first time.

wyshadow: Yup! I tried to vent the hose quickly, however I could not close it back up while it was venting because the bottle was dumping all its air back through the compressor and out the vent. The only way I could re-close the vent was when the bottle was pretty much evacuated. I filled the bottle a couple of times just be sure, and was getting the same results. That's why I started thinking the issue may have been the valve in the bottle.

stoti: Here the pictures you requested.

Thanks all, and have a happy New Year!

20210101_173237.1609540656.jpg
20210101_173015.1609540679.jpg