Air tank accidently filled with oxygen?

just release all gas in tank and start over. Be careful to keep discharge gas away from everything. I deal with aircraft oxygen systems and most GOX (gaseous oxygen systems) are rate for 1800 psi. Iron or ferrous compounds are not allowed in systems, nor oil, etc. Just vent in safe area and get refilled. Oxygen connections are green so if you see him fill from tanks, be sure none of the connections are green.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I would have done that had I not fortunately verified with the shop manager that only dry air was put into my tank, whew!

Thankfully the fill was just our beloved air which could use a bit more CO2 and O2 but that's another topic.. If anyone is in the Santa Clara Valley area and need air I can totally recommend Pacific Scuba Divers, they try hard to give me max pressure, and they are buying a new scroll compressor that goes to 5000 psi. I generally go in when they are dead and one of the guys will even fire up the compressor to give me 4500psi.

As of Oct 21, 2022, Pacific Scuba Divers is off of my list, I'm getting the run around on refilling my tank, they must be filling hundreds of SCUBA tanks because that's all they've been doing now for 6 days. Guess I'm stuck until my compressor comes in, in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Thankfully the fill was just our beloved air which could use a bit more CO2 and O2 but that's another topic.. If anyone is in the Santa Clara Valley area and need air I can totally recommend Pacific Scuba Divers, they try hard to give me max pressure, and they are buying a new scroll compressor that goes to 5000 psi. I generally go in when they are dead and one of the guys will even fire up the compressor to give me 4500psi.

Yes indeed! Getting a fill to 4500 sure isn't an easy task.

FLGunner, JW652, RCS9250, Chickenthief, & FW-190, et al. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my questions about this matter. They were very helpful and greatly appreciate the brain trust of forum members here. I did finally get to speak with the dive shop manager and was informed that this shops oxygen fill area is in a completely different area of the shop, apparently located behind her office. And that none of the fill in staff members are allowed to conduct such fills. Of course that doesn't mean someone can't attempt it, but extremely unlikely. Also the reason suffer dude wasn't able to get it up to 3k psi was that the air banks they have were low that day and would have been impossible to do a >3 or 4k psi fill until they replenish them.

I apologize for the false alarm, but I really had no idea what was going on, if it was possible to do and as someone who is fairly new to all this, I was not going to take any chances, which is why I turned to you good folks. I still have much to learn and this was yet another step in my learning process. Chickenthief, I have started looking into the links and info you forwarded. Thanks, I really appreciate your providing me this. And RCS and JW's expertise was very informative! I don't think there is such a thing as having too much good information.

This is a great sport and this community makes it that much better! Much thanks to you all, and for what it's worth I did put in an "Accuracy" vote for each of you above...
no such thing as a false alarm question , i have learned a lot from this read , thank you

Reactions: Airtillery