• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air supply help

every one has been so helpful to a beginner.
​Next question. As I mentioned before, I bought a marauder and changed my parameters pretty quickly. I queried here and received a 10 to 1 Wildcat recommendation. I purchased a Wildcat (22). We failed to discuss,( and I knew going in) the additional air requirements of the Wildcat. I purchased a 75 cu ft Omega tank when I bought the Marauder.. I shoot MUCHO!
​The fill count is cut by a third. So I shoot the Wildcat until I am down below the 150 bar. then I shoot the Marauder until around 1200 psi. this leaves me with out the Wildcat for several days. The local FD fills the tank for $3. Hard to buy a compressor for that price, but I might. 
​Now the question. If I were to buy an additional tank, would you buy another 75 cu in or the 100 cu ft. . Or, would you bite the bullet and go with a compressor. I would probably go with the AV.
​Don't think I want to push 2K or more for others. Like I said $3 for a fill!

​Second question. Explaining "parameters" I wanted a Short, Quiet, Accurate, Lite rifle. Interested in opinions and recommendations for a 25 cal. Just thinking ahead.
Thanks All.

If I was in your shoes, knowing what I know now...
Home compressor = $320 - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-5-2-Gal-3-0-HP-Electric-Single-Tank-Air-Compressor-MAC5200/202713486
Why? Compressed air at home, air tools, good 1st stage for a booster. 

Altaros Booster = $630 - http://www.altaros.cz/en/other-accessories/48-altaros-compressor-booster-unit
Why? Makes you self sufficient. Also, quick math has us at $1K so far. Add in another in-line desicant filter somewhere for redundant protection. And, these are the reasons why I chose Altaros over the other boosters. 

If that blows your budget then, that's that. 
If you still have $ for a rifle, I'm sure there will be plenty of good suggestions posted. I would say a WC in .25 but, you have one already. I guess... either upgrade the caliber of the WC, or get something totally different. 
Good luck with your choices! :)
Tom

It's nice if you have a near-by fill station, most don't, and some fire departments won't! And most folks don't have dive shops near them either. Hand pumps work, but unfortunately, you work harder! But until you have your own high-pressure pump, you won't know or realize the benefits.

Personally, I did buy a ShoeboxF8 (booster), but I have since replaced that with an Omega Air Charger. Here too was another magnitude of improvement, as was a big tank (88 cf) for those over-night hunting trips. 

The improvements were in essence, done in stages. This said, if I knew then, what I know now, I would have bite the pellet, and gone all the way, saving me a lot of monies along the way.

The smaller tank is great for a day hunt or shoot but will only give you a fraction of the fills you get with the larger tank. If you have to drop the tank off, there is an argument to buy the second tank. I personally would get a compressor so you don't have to depend on someone else for air. The cost and options for compressors have improved greatly. Been a lot of great reviews on the Altaros. Lots a new compressors on the market. Make sure you have a dryer going into your tank

I have a small 90ci 4500psi tank witch is about 14cf and a 74 cf 4500psi tank I got them because I got tired of pumping and now I also have a compressor on order to fill these tanks because there is no one within 80 miles of me that can or will fill a tank to 4500psi,I did a test with my Benjamin hand pump and it took me 1,800 full pumps to get the 90ci tank to 3500psi and it also took me a few days to do, it's not worth trying to fill a small tank with a hand pump,if your serious about getting into the world of PCP's the best thing to do is invest in a self contained compressor or if you have a shop/home Compressor get a shoebox booster you'll be glad you did in the long run..It is a serious investment but hey there are PCP airguns that cost more and remember you can always tether a tank to your Airgun to give you more constant shots and more bench time.
Heck if you ever decide PCP airguns isn't for you, you can always sell the compressor and recouped some money as with your airguns and tanks.

Buying a Booster or Compressor is a no brainer if your going to get into this hobby and can afford one but hey if a person can afford a 1500-2500 PCP they can afford a compressor and a tank or two is how I see it.
hope it makes sense, my meds are starting to kick in time to go.

"Tominco"If I was in your shoes, knowing what I know now...
Home compressor = $320 - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-5-2-Gal-3-0-HP-Electric-Single-Tank-Air-Compressor-MAC5200/202713486

Altaros Booster = $630 - http://www.altaros.cz/en/other-accessories/48-altaros-compressor-booster-unit
Why? Makes you self sufficient. Also, quick math has us at $1K so far. Add in another in-line desicant filter somewhere for redundant protection. And, these are the reasons why I chose Altaros over the other boosters. 

If you still have $ for a rifle, I'm sure there will be plenty of good suggestions posted. I would say a WC in .25 but, you have one already. I guess... either upgrade the caliber of the WC, or get something totally different. 
Tom
$ 630+320=950 the cheaper omega compressor cost $1350 do you think it's worth it spending an extra $500.. I'm considering to buy a compressor or a booster too I'm tire of the hand pump, 

Compressor if you shoot a lot you won't be sorry you can always get a bigger tank later if you absolutely have to have more air with you when you're shooting at targets or plinking. I bought the air Venturi compressor and so far I am very happy with it no problems whatsoever so far I have about 18 hours on it so it's really not even broken in yet and as far as it needing an added on desiccant filter has yet to be determined I will know after 50 hours of use that's when I'm supposed to change the filter for the first time but I'm checking it at 25 hours depending on how dirty the filter is that's what will determine whether or not I get the desiccant filter. So far I have done some tests to see if there is any oil or water in my bottle as of right now we're good

"Tominco"If I was in your shoes, knowing what I know now...

Tom
Tom,

Do you have a moisture filter on your setup at all? Those would increase the total cost of the booster setup by $200-$400. Are they necessary?

The Omega Air Charger does have a moisture trap, and it does work. Nonetheless, I added a home made pre dryer for a total cost of about $20. The incoming air is drawn through the trap filled with desiccant. I know it works, as very little moisture is discharged from the separate compared to what it is without the dryer. That and the desiccant has gotten a little pink over the last month or so.

"Eddy1840"
$ 630+320=950 the cheaper omega compressor cost $1350 do you think it's worth it spending an extra $500.. I'm considering to buy a compressor or a booster too I'm tire of the hand pump,
I think it depends on your lifestyle. A stand alone high pressure compressor is a great choice if you have limited space and only need it for airguns. A shop compressor and booster allows you to use air tools if/when needed for household and vehicles, as well as have a high pressure option to use for airguns. 
Tom

"Maineiac"
Tom,

Do you have a moisture filter on your setup at all? Those would increase the total cost of the booster setup by $200-$400. Are they necessary?
Yes, I have a three stage filter coming off my shop compressor (pre-booster). It was not very expensive and I'm actually thinking about adding another desiccant stage to it for redundancy. I live in a fairly dry state (Colorado) and I was surprised at how quickly my shop compressor turned those blue beads to pink. 
The Altaros has a moisture filter built in. Here's from their website...The two-stage separator moisture and multiple filtration: Compressor basically contains cascade system moisture separator from the air, which provides very dry high pressure air output from the compressor. Thanks to this, it is not necessary to worry about the penetration of moisture into the bottles, or pressure container. At the same time inlet air is filtered several times to remove impurities.Yes, the high pressure moisture filters are $2-400. If you get one of these, educate yourself and get a good one that has been designed correctly. Don't go cheap with anything on the high pressure side. 
Yes, I think they are a necessary step in the procedure that will protect your seals and rifle from possible damage due to wet air. However, I don't think they are an immediate necessity. If budget does not allow and extra $2-400, save up and add it into the system later. 
The nice feature of these filters is that the desiccant can be re-used multiple times. 
Tom

"Tominco"
"Maineiac"
Tom,

Yes, I have a three stage filter coming off my shop compressor (pre-booster). It was not very expensive and I'm actually thinking about adding another desiccant stage to it for redundancy. I live in a fairly dry state (Colorado) and I was surprised at how quickly my shop compressor turned those blue beads to pink. 
The Altaros has a moisture filter built in. Here's from their website...The two-stage separator moisture and multiple filtration: Compressor basically contains cascade system moisture separator from the air, which provides very dry high pressure air output from the compressor. Thanks to this, it is not necessary to worry about the penetration of moisture into the bottles, or pressure container. At the same time inlet air is filtered several times to remove impurities.Yes, the high pressure moisture filters are $2-400. If you get one of these, educate yourself and get a good one that has been designed correctly. Don't go cheap with anything on the high pressure side. 
Yes, I think they are a necessary step in the procedure that will protect your seals and rifle from possible damage due to wet air. However, I don't think they are an immediate necessity. If budget does not allow and extra $2-400, save up and add it into the system later. 
The nice feature of these filters is that the desiccant can be re-used multiple times. 
Tom

Thanks! Do you have a picture of your setup?