• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air strippers vs. Muzzle brakes

Well, my understanding of a muzzle brake is to direct gases coming out of the muzzle back and down to reduce muzzle jump and felt recoil when those gases exit. This helps on the larger calibers that really have some recoil. Depending on design, there will still be a flash. A suppressor (silencer) will hide muzzle flash and reduce - (not silence) the shot sound.

I'm new to air rifles so air stripper is a new one to me, and I'd like to get the info on that, too.

Well, everyone it trying so hard to be PC, the truth gets a bit clouded. Both terms are often used to describe a silencer, when in fact they aren't specifically. Some others call them LDCs (lead dust collectors), quieters, shrouds, and perhaps a few dozen other names. While air gunners don't like to use the term silencer, because it connotes an illegal device.... A rose by any other name.....

A true muzzle brake directs muzzle blast up and back with various ports. It is designed to cancel rearward and upward movement due to recoil. They have no real use with airguns and are really just a misused term. Many break barrel guns have a plastic handle on the end of the barrel that are often called a brake but really just aid in cocking comfort. 

"Alan"Well, everyone it trying so hard to be PC, the truth gets a bit clouded. Both terms are often used to describe a silencer, when in fact they aren't specifically. Some others call them LDCs (lead dust collectors), quieters, shrouds, and perhaps a few dozen other names. While air gunners don't like to use the term silencer, because it connotes an illegal device.... A rose by any other name.....
I respectfully take issue with 'illegal device'. Suppressors are legal with an approved application to Alphabet org and $200 fee. I understand they are quite common outside of US, but thanks to Hollywood and ignorant politicians, they have a sinister stigma attached here. There are several people that use them at my range and it's nice to shoot next to someone using one....not so with someone using a muzzle brake. The concussion can give you a pretty good jolt. Suppressor is a more accurate term than silencer.

I'm still not sure about what an air stripper is or even looks like...I know what most strippers look like ; ^)

"Ropechucker"I know what most strippers look like ; ^)
Now we're getting somewhere. lol

It appears that a stripper would deflect the toroidal vortices in a radial pattern away from the line of fire, but wouldn't have any effect on the pellet in flight. Off hand it looks like a gimmick. 
Hatsan-Air-Stripper-for-PCP-rifle_zm01_d_200x150.jpg

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Hatsan_Air_Stripper_For_Select_22_Cal_Hatsan_Air_Guns/4557

I almost agree about the gimmick idea. I bought a Hatsan air stripper for my 397, along with an adapter. It did improve the groups slightly, particularly with higher pellets. I didn't notice any difference with the heaver ones (>9 grains). 

As I said about, call them what you will, but the silencer I use is more than just a suppressor. I say this, because it is quiet enough to hear the hammer hit the bash valve, and there is almost no report out the front of the gun. 

I like what Ropechucker said. I've seen lots of strippers but not too many air strippers. LOL

From what I understand now, is that an air stripper takes the blast from you air rifle barrel and vents it away from the pellet, since the blast of air can make the pellet wobble or distort it's flight.

Muzzle brake is to vent the air to the side or frontward to make the recoil of the gun much less.

Basic explanation.

Thanks guys for all your input

What I have is from TKO22, and is affectionately called an LDC (lead dust collector). But... I am NOT PC!

There is enough stigma about using all sorts of terms, all of which, are euphemisms for a silencer. What we need to remember is, airguns, under Fed law, are NOT firearms!
Silencers, no matter which euphemism we use, are still the same device. They are, by any description, used to reduce, diminish, remove, lessen, muffle, quiet, decrease, decline, fade, ebb or dwindle, the muzzle report of a rifle. It makes little difference if the rifle (or pistol) is an airgun, or a firearm. Except of course, that the Fed does not recognize an airgun as a firearm. Thus, whether you wish to believe whatever the statute states, or what euphemism you wish to use, they are indeed legal on an airgun. 

That said, that allowance for airguns could change. But using a euphemism, instead of what they really are, is NOT going to change the thinking of the Fed, should they decided to modify the law. And just for the record, doing so (changing the law) would require a 2/3 majority of congress, and that isn't about to change! Thanks to the NRA!

"Alan"What I have is from TKO22, and is affectionately called an LDC (lead dust collector). But... I am NOT PC!

There is enough stigma about using all sorts of terms, all of which, are euphemisms for a silencer. What we need to remember is, airguns, under Fed law, are NOT firearms!
Silencers, no matter which euphemism we use, are still the same device. They are, by any description, used to reduce, diminish, remove, lessen, muffle, quiet, decrease, decline, fade, ebb or dwindle, the muzzle report of a rifle. It makes little difference if the rifle (or pistol) is an airgun, or a firearm. Except of course, that the Fed does not recognize an airgun as a firearm. Thus, whether you wish to believe whatever the statute states, or what euphemism you wish to use, they are indeed legal on an airgun. 

That said, that allowance for airguns could change. But using a euphemism, instead of what they really are, is NOT going to change the thinking of the Fed, should they decided to modify the law. And just for the record, doing so (changing the law) would require a 2/3 majority of congress, and that isn't about to change! Thanks to the NRA!
Thanks, Alan. One of the gray areas not well defined. A key element as I understand it - is can it be removed an used on a firearm...even if it is on an air rifle. 

Doesn't pertain to me personally. I don't have an air stripper, silencer, suppressor, or ? I do have a muzzle brake on my 308. Interesting topic, though.

An observation in respect to air strippers and accuracy..
I was recently IC of testing the air rifles for compliance at the World Benchrest Championships.
There were 90 shooters frm 15 countries. I cannot recall one rifle with an air stripper. 
There were some with barrel weights and some with barrel tuning weights.

One would think at that level that if strippers improved accuracy these competitors would use them. They spend a lot of money getting to these shoots and competition is fierce.
It is presently my opinion that any benefit an air stripper may seem to give is as a secondary incidental result from acting as a defacto barrel tuner when the stripping cone is adjusted forwards and backwards. In which case one may be better to use a dedicated barrel tuner.

Kind regards, Harry.

"Alan"What I have is from TKO22, and is affectionately called an LDC (lead dust collector). But... I am NOT PC!

It USED to take congress and the presidents signature to change the law. Now all it takes is an executive order because congress will not fight.